GPU Compute Software
Ask questions about Intel® Graphics Compute software technologies, such as OpenCL* GPU driver and oneAPI Level Zero
140 Discussions

Runtime Error: zeKernelSetIndirectAccess not found

dobbsy
Beginner

Hi, 

I hope this is the right board to post this issue to. Since the Beta 9 update i get the following error message when running a DPC++ program (I translated this from German, so the exact wording might be different in the English error message): 'The entry point for the procedure "zeKernelSetIndirectAccess" not found in DLL "[path_to_onenapi_root_dir]\windows\bin\pi_level_zero.dll" '.

The DPC++ programs actually run fine once i acknowledge the error by pressing "OK", but I'd still like to find out what the problem is with my setup. 

To produce this error message, a creation of a queue-object is sufficient, so the minimal working example is very short:

#include <CL/sycl.hpp>

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    cl::sycl::queue q;
}

Environment:

• Windows 10 Home (version 2004)
  • Intel oneAPI Base Toolkit 2021.1 beta 9
  • Visual Studio 2019 Community Edition (The DPC++ projects have all been created using the Intel Extension for VS)

Thanks in advance for your help!

12 Replies
RahulV_intel

Hi,

The issue is reproducible with level0 back-end. Nevertheless, you can still run it on OpenCL back-end by setting the environment variable SYCL_BE=PI_OPENCL.

On windows CMD, despite the error message, I can still run it on OpenCL back-end even without setting SYCL_BE.

I've let the concerned team know about this issue. Thanks for reporting.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

This case is already escalated to the Engineering. Can you check where the driver got installed in your system?

0 Kudos
dobbsy
Beginner

I'm sorry, which driver are you talking about exactly? In case you mean the pi_level_zero library, its full path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.1-beta09\windows\bin" on my machine. I noticed I left out some subdirectories in my original post, sorry for that.

0 Kudos
JamesReinders
Beginner

I'm seeing the SAME error on both my systems.  I installed four of the oneAPI *GOLD* toolkits - Base, HPC, IoT, and Render.  One of my systems has Windows 10 Pro, the other runs Windows 10 Home.  One has a DG1 which is *not* being detected properly, and the other has an Iris Xe (i7-1165G7).  All have up-to-date Windows drivers installed.   SYCL/DPC++ can enumerate the devices, and my DPC++ programs run correctly - but this POP-UP occurs with ALL runs of ALL my simple DPC++ programs (from our DPC++ book).

Please advise why this DLL is causing issues, and how to fix it.

isilin1
Beginner

I'm having the same issue. Using the latest Win10 Pro, latest drivers, OneAPI Base + HPC packs, Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 or OneAPI Command Prompt. All code samples crash with the message "zeKernelSetIndirectAccess could not be located in pi_level_zero.dll". 

0 Kudos
JamesR
New Contributor II

Here is the FIX.   Let me know if it does not work for you.

The fix is simple: update to the latest Intel graphics drivers by visiting https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics and using the "Get Started" button, or manually downloading and installing the latest drivers for your machine.  Along the way - ignore the advice to use the OEM's drivers or use Intel's drivers for testing only.

Do this even though Windows may say you have the latest and greatest driver installed.

Once you do that - the pop-up goes away.  It fixed both my machines.

This is a symptom of evolving support for oneAPI (DPC++ etc.) in the graphics drivers, and they take some time to propagated to be automatically updated by Windows.

I'll help Intel see if the install and tools can do better to analyze what is installed, and give better diagnostics or advice when there is a driver mismatch.  The pop-up was WAY to cryptic.

With the current drivers, I found things were working GREAT!

If you haven't looked at our book on DPC++ - considering reading it... it can be downloaded (PDF) for free from https://www.apress.com/us/book/9781484255735 or a print copy can be purchased.

isilin1
Beginner
SUKLA
Beginner

I downloaded Gaphics driver but it did not fix the problem.

Dilip

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

After installing the latest driver did you follow James' instructions? And is it still failing?

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

The error is not reproducible at my end. It got resolved after upgrading the driver in the same timeframe when the case was initially released. Can you let me know the driver version that you have?

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

Based on our internal verification, the issue is resolved with driver version 27.20.100.9168, that can be downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126790/Intel-UHD-Graphics-630. If you are using any of the OEM machines (Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc.), the OEM may restrict installation of this driver directly from the above link. In that case its recommended to download this version (or any higher version) directly from the OEM website. Please let us know if this information is helpful and if it resolves the issue under discussion.

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

Closing the case as there was no response from the customer.

This issue has been resolved and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

0 Kudos