Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts
380 Discussions

Fps drop after installing drivers

Nikx
Novice

Hi, I have an i9 11900k processor and after installing the graphics drivers my fps in game (for example in rainbow six siege I went from 50 fps to 15 fps) decreased from not being able to play well and all this after installing this driver. What may have happened? (I am using integrated graphics as I wait for a dedicated gpu) 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Nikx

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide us with the following information?

1- Is this a new system? Did the game's FPS work as expected before or are you experiencing this behavior since the first day that you have the device?

2- In case this worked fine before, besides installing the graphics driver, were there any other hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (For instance, Windows, BIOS, or game updates?)

3- What is the driver version that you installed on the system that experiences this FPS behavior?

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Nikx
Novice

I have this pc since christmas eve. Since I don't have a dedicated gpu I knew that I would not be able to play at 100fps ... But playing some games like rainbow six siege I was doing about 50 and after I installed the driver 15 fps. I have not changed any components and have not installed anything besides that driver. I have installed the igfx_win_101.1660 driver.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Nikx

Thank you for your response.

Please review the following recommendations and let us know if this helps with the behavior:

1- Performance may drop under thermal throttling. Please refer to this article and follow the suggestions to make sure the system is not being affected by thermal throttling: Overheating Symptoms and Troubleshooting for Intel® Boxed Processors.

2- Make sure that the Operating System (OS) is up to date and install any pending updates, refer to Update Windows*. 

3- Confirm that no other heavy workload programs are running in the background while playing:

1. Open the Windows* Task Manager.
  2. Click the CPU and Memory tabs to check whether anything is using up large chunks of your CPU or RAM (for instance, a web browser with many tabs open).
  3. Close background processes that are consuming CPU/RAM resources.

4- Make sure the game is up to date. You may check with the game developer for the latest patches and updates. Also, review with the game developer for the recommended In-Game Settings.

5- Have you enabled Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) or modified memory RAM settings or voltage? Checking the Intel® SSU report it seems the RAM voltage is at 1.4V. However, the System Memory voltage specification for the Intel® Core™ i9-11900K Processor is 1.2V. We recommend reviewing this to make sure the memory RAM is running within specifications for the CPU and motherboard. You may try loading BIOS defaults or checking with MSI* Support for proper assistance to configure the RAM within specifications.

(Note: Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.)

6- Please perform a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* using the latest Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Driver Version 30.0.101.1660.

7- Finally, you may try a "Game Repair installation". In Steam*, you can do so by opening the Library tab.

• Right-click the game.
  • Click Properties.
  • Once in the Properties window, click the Local Files tab, and then click Verify Integrity of Game Files.
  • If you are using a different game distributor, you may need to check with them for the proper steps.

If the issue persists, please try these two additional steps and let us know if the behavior is different:

a- Try a new Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* but this time using the customized driver from MSI* Intel VGA Driver Version 30.0.100.9805.

b- It seems the system is running an old BIOS version (A.00). Based on MSI* website, there are newer versions available, the latest is Version A4 (7D06vA4). We recommend checking with MSI* for assistance to update the BIOS and review installation steps and any other relevant information regarding the BIOS update.

We will be looking forward to hearing back from you with feedback about the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Nikx

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Nikx

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Nikx
Novice
Sorry for not replying. I have tried these methods up to # 7 and nothing has changed. I just have to try a and b as a solution and I'll do it today. I'll let you know later.
0 Kudos