Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts
436 Discussions

Intel i7 6700k game freeze/crash

Suzu
Beginner

Hi to everyone! I've been playing for quite a long time on my pc and almost never had any problems! Lately (in the last year to be honest) a lot of games seem to have been having issues. I though it might've been a compatibility thing or a GPU problem but after a lot of testing and research it seems like the CPU is the problem. 
Now what exactly happens is the following: while playing the game freezes and then crash with no error. Sometimes it takes less and sometimes it takes more to crash, and sometimes the terrain or players flicker and textures bug out (hence me thinking it was a GPU problem). A few of the games I had the problem with are the following: valorant, remnant 2, deep rock and dead by daylight. All of these games are Unreal Engine based.
Thanks in advance for your help, i'll be glad to provide any information when asked!

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your processor is 7 years old.  Have you re-applied the thermal paste?   Have you cleaned the processor heat sink and verified the fan is working?  Does your system have adequate ventilation?

Have you checked your system memory and/or power supply?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Suzu
Beginner

Hi! Thanks for you quick response. I haven't re-applied the thermal paste in the last year, but I have cleaned the computer, vents and heating sink around a month ago and they are all working perfectly. My computer does have adequate ventilation and I always check the CPU temperature which varies from 50°C to 60° based on the usage. 
If you think that not having re applied the thermal paste might cause problems I will re apply it as soon as possible. Thanks again, I'll keep you updated!

0 Kudos
Suzu
Beginner

Update: I cleaned the CPU and applied the thermal taste. I also tested the CPU using Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and I passed everything but sadly I still get the same problem. I have seen though that every time I crash I get the same error in the event viewer: bad_module_info. I'll attach the screenshot of the error. Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
grifter
Beginner

I have the exact same problem and my gpu is the 5700 xt

0 Kudos