Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts

VRR not working

shepal73976
Novice

I've been gaming on my MSI laptop for 3 years, which features an Nvidia 3070 Mobile dGPU and an Intel UHD Graphics iGPU. I was previously able to enable VRR in the Arc control panel, and it truly enabled VRR/Adaptive Sync. For some reason, when I enable it, it does not fully activate anymore. I know this because my laptop's screen refresh rate does not decrease with the FPS. I have tried going into Windows Settings, Arc Control Panel, Intel Graphics Control Panel, and Nvidia Profile Inspector to enable VRR. None of which, work. Nvidia's control panel does not allow me to access VRR, but Nvidia Profile Inspector does. I performed a clean installation on both the iGPU and dGPU graphics drivers. Finally, I reinstalled all Intel and Nvidia applications. It still will not truly enable VRR. I'm using an MSI laptop with a MUX Switch, but I'd like to use both GPUs together so that I can have the benefit of Variable Refresh Rate, but it is not working anymore. This is extremely frustrating because my computer comes stock with a 360hz display and my laptop cannot get anywhere near 360 FPS. Does anyone have any tips on how I might go about troubleshooting this?

Intel Graphics Driver

Nvidia Graphics Driver

My laptop:

Name/Model

MSI GE76 Raider 11UG-054

Operating System

Windows 11 Home 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7-11800H

RAM

32 GB (Generic Brand that isn't listed)

Motherboard

Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MS-17K3 (U3E1)

GPUs

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop (MSI)

Intel UHD Graphics (MSI)

Storage

1 TB* Micron_3400_MTFDKBA1T0TFH

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello shepal73976

Thank you for patiently waiting.

Do you have any additional MSI apps installed?

Please download and run the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Then, install the latest graphics drivers (Intel and NVIDIA) from the OEM and test.

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @shepal73976

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

Please answer the following:

·      Have you made a software change?

·      What driver version were you using before?

In order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Then, please generate and attach the Report for Intel® Intel Graphics Command Center

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
shepal73976
Novice

Here is that diagnostic file.

0 Kudos
shepal73976
Novice

Hey Jose,

I don't know what version I was on when it was operating, and I have not made any software changes. I will scan and get back to you.

~Shepal73976

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello shepal73976

Thank you for sharing that report. But, just to clarify, did you use the tools I provided? (Intel® System Support Utility for Windows and Report for Intel® Intel Graphics Command Center)

Please share both reports.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
shepal73976
Novice

My apologies, I forgot to do the other one. Here are both.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello shepal73976

Thank you for your reply.

Does it work if you use the latest official Windows version 22621? (not the beta 22631).

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
shepal73976
Novice

Unfortunately, no, it does not work with the OS build 22621.2283

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello shepal73976

Thank you for your reply.

According to the screenshot you provided, the Build is 22662 not the 22621 that you mentioned. However, we will check the issue internally, as soon as we have any update we will let you know.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
shepal73976
Novice

I am sorry, I thought you meant OS Build.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello shepal73976

Thank you for waiting.

Please make sure your BIOS is up to date: https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GE76-Raider-11UX/support?sku_id=89212 (for further assistance, please contact the OEM).

Have you tried using an external display to see if the VRR works? Please share screenshots of the “error”, or a screen recording when you try to enable VRR.

Also, please check this information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000095363/graphics.html

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
shepal73976
Novice

Hey Jose,

I have two GPUs and when I plug in another monitor, my Nvidia GPU takes over that monitor. There is no way for me to utilize my Intel UHD iGPU on an external monitor without disabling my Nvidia GPU. Unfortunately, my Nvidia GPU will not provide G-sync Certified or compatible support to my laptop screen. Instead, both my GPUs work in a MSHybrid Graphics Mode to output video on my laptop screen. Intel forcefully controls my laptop screen and, in practice, should manage VRR well, but it doesn't. Since my screen is 360hz and I can't even imagine getting frame rates that high, I like to utilize VRR, but it isn't working and is very frustrating. Is it possible for me to downgrade my drivers until I get VRR control back?

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello shepal73976

Thank you for waiting.

Please provide us with a screen recording when you try to enable VRR, we need to see how the issue is affecting the system.

The oldest driver we have available is 31.0.101.4672, you can try a clean installation to see if the issue gets resolved. Please keep us updated.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
shepal73976
Novice

Here is the video. I have no way of showing via camera whether VRR is enabled. I have an app to test VRR, but I should be able to tell based on the smoothness of the mouse cursor. Furthermore, I will try the older driver.

0 Kudos
shepal73976
Novice

Unfortunately, I attempted the older graphics driver, and it didn't work. I restarted the computer after clean installing it, and it just would not work, showing the same issue I recorded.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello shepal73976

Thank you for providing that useful information.

Allow us to check the issue internally, as soon as we have any update we will let you know.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello shepal73976

Thank you for patiently waiting.

Do you have any additional MSI apps installed?

Please download and run the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Then, install the latest graphics drivers (Intel and NVIDIA) from the OEM and test.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
shepal73976
Novice

I have the MSI Center installed (To control fan speeds), MSI Afterburner (For RTSS), and MSI True Color (For display color profiles). I will uninstall and reinstall my graphics drivers for both of my GPUs and report back.

0 Kudos
shepal73976
Novice

So I tried it, and it got me extremely excited, because IT WORKED. But I am now on an ancient GPU driver that is unoptimized for newer titles that I play. So, a win and a loss. Soon, I will try updating my Nvidia graphics driver, and if I lose VRR, then I know who to blame. If it works, then I will update my Intel graphics driver, and see if that is what causes the loss of VRR.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello shepal73976

Thank you for the confirmation.

We are glad to hear that the VRR option is back, please let us know if you still need assistance or if we can close the thread as Solved.  

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello shepal73976

We hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Please keep us updated.

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

0 Kudos