Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts
436 Discussions

Weird High Cpu Usage in game Related to Resource Loading

cnalligator
Beginner

My laptop has worked unproperly all of a sudden ever since someday.

It appears to be high cpu usage with around 70~80% during games which never happened before. For small games the high cpu usage seemed to last for mins then drop to normal usage with 20%; For some games like The Division2 , it just stays at 80%(Which used to be 40%). It has caused frame rate drop and gpu usage drop like from 90% down to aroound 70%, especaially in large games.

The problem seems to be relevant to resource loading.
I checked the threads with Process Explorer during high cpu usage in game, it seemd that threads named "nvd3dumx.dll!QueryOglResource" has eaten up half of the cpu usage, which never happened like that before. The loading threads tends to stay for a long time taking up high cpu uasge even everything seemed all loaded fine. For some games larger it just keeps on with high useage

I don't quite remember if i had updated the driver the day before this problem came out. But i've tried uninstalling the driver with ddu and reinstalling the stable one i used before, repairing the games themselves, reinstalling dx and all kinds of library and driver, and restoring the computer several times (with files saved), but none of them worked.

I've also run many test applications for the disk, ram, cpu and gpu but they all seemed to work just fine.

This problem came out all of a sudden one day, and I completely have no clue whether it's a hardware problem or a software problem anymore, coulud really use some help.

My system info:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz (16 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU

DISK:SAMSUNG MZVLQ512HALU-00000

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cnalligator,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• What are the games with?
  • Do you recall any other hardware or software change besides the driver update?
  • Have you checked if there are programs with heavy workloads running in the background?
  • Could you provide us with a screenshot of the task manager (under the performance tab) while running the game?
  • Create a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)  

Also, if you want to test your CPUs, you can try and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. (Intel IPDT) 

• Download the Intel PDT (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?)
  • Once installed, the Intel® PDT starts testing the processor using the default configuration. Two windows might appear to show the test is in progress.
  • When the Intel® PDT completes, the testing status will display either a PASS or FAIL.
  • Alternatively, you can open or save the test results file every time after the test run by clicking on file > view results file, file, then, save as to any location you specify.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
cnalligator
Beginner

1. Large game like The Division2 , for small game i downloaded A Hat In Time for a test, they're all 3rd personal games. In that small game, the high cpu usage takes a few mins, then drop back to nromal usage like 20%

1-3.png

the threads behind all these are likely to be some Resource Loading thread

1-5.png

In large game likeThe Divison2 it keeps on with high usage around 50~80%, which used to be 40% and wouldn't spike like this.(Both the low cpu usage at the end of the graph ocurred when i switch to deskstop for a screen shot on the graph)

1-4.png

In addition, for RTS games like Wargame Warno or Red Dragon, the CPU usage is like usual (20%~40%), but when i quit the game, the loading page goes go like forever now. So i suspected it might be related to some loading problems.

2.I don't quite remember if I have updated any drivers or the Windows system before this problem happened. But i've resored the computer with files saved and updated or reinstalled the drivers, but none of them worked

3.It's more like the game itself taking up high cpu usage, which was not the case back then.  

1-1.png

1-2.png

4.The reports are attached along with the DxDiag and the disk test result from a free software in Microsoft Store.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cnalligator,

Thanks for the information provided, it has been helpful.

Regarding the loading problems. The loading screen is typically related to your storage drive and not usually to your CPU, since in some games the CPU usage is like usual, I would say that the issue is not related to the processor. 

I was trying to gather information about your system; however, I couldn't find any information about the system. Could you please share with me the link with your system information?

This time I would recommend performing a clean installation of the latest Nvidia driver for your graphics card. The latest version available is 516.59, and the one installed on your system is an old one (30.0.15.1123). Please follow the steps listed below to complete the clean installation:

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters that the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 

2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded in step 1 Restart the computer. 

Reconnect to the Internet. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cnalligator,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cnalligator,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
RA-7
Beginner

As far as the loading problems are concerned. Usually, the loading screen is caused by your storage drive, not your CPU, since in some games your CPU usage is normal, while in others it leads to the loading screen. As far as I am concerned, the problem does not seem to be related to the CPU. I was unable to find the information I was looking for about your system that I was looking for. Would you mind if I asked you if you could provide me with a link to the information about your system? If so, itItIt would be best to perform a clean installation of your graphics card's Nvidia drivers this time around. You have been using a version that is as old as 30.0.15.1123, and there is a newer version available (516.59).

0 Kudos
RA-7
Beginner

. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters that the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 

2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded in step 1 Restart the computer. 

Reconnect to the Internet. 

0 Kudos