Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

10th gen Iris Plus graphics compatibility with eGPU

PVojt
Novice

I am looking to purchase laptop based on Intel 10th gen CPUs (IceLake).

Possiblity to use eGPU is essential for me.

I encountered posts on internet where users stated that once eGPU is connected to machine equipped with Intel 10th gen IceLake CPU (like Dell XPS 13 - 7390) experience is very choppy and breaking. Disabling integrated graphics (Iris Plus) solved issue.

This is effectively blocking usage of laptop built-in monitor for eGPU use case. Only external conncted to eGPU.

Is it still a case? Or has it been fixed meanwhile?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I think you should check the laptop manufacture's recommended options for eGPU. Each laptop's mileage may vary depending on their implementation and the quality of the eGPU.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A comment: If we are talking about units with Core i3 processors, I am unsure that this is an really an Ice Lake issue. You are asking for a heck of a lot having one support an eGPU. I am not surprised it has choppy performance. I would expect every generation's Core i3 to have choppy performance. You should really be looking at a Core i5 or better for eGPU support.

...S

0 Kudos
PVojt
Novice

It is really on Core i7 CPUs. External monitor with disabled integrated graphics works fine. However to be able to use eGPU and built-in laptop display internal graphics must remain enabled. It looks like conflict between Intel Iris Pro drivers and nVidia GPU drivers.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

PVojt, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this topic, just to let you know, the manufacturers of laptops have specific engineering teams that are the ones that will assemble the laptop making sure that all the components will work with each other as it was intended, like for example, in this case, the eGPU along with the Intel® Graphics controller.

So, what we recommend will be to get in contact directly with any of the manufacturers of the laptops, for them to be able to suggest and report which laptops have the option to use hybrid graphics and provide further details about the performance of each of them for you to be able to choose any of those models.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos