Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

2560x1080 for LG 34" UltraWide over HDMI unavailable on Intel UHD Graphics for Core i3-1005G1 CPU

VHugh
Novice

I've got a new Dell Inspiron 3593 running Windows 10 (Build 19013.1122) on a Core i3-1005G1 CPU and running the latest Intel UHD driver (26.20.100.7463 from 11/6/2019) and cannot get a higher resolution on my LG 34" UltraWide monitor (using HDMI 1.4b; there is no DP) than 1920x1080. (Yes, I've got it's latest drivers installed.) Its recommended (and native) resolution is 2560x1080. According to ark.intel.com, the maximum supported resolution for a Core i3-1005G1 CPU over HDMI 1.4 should be 4096 x 2304. I've got the latest Intel Graphics Command Center installed, but even trying the custom resolution feature there fails to work. (can add it to the list, but doesn't do any thing when you switch to it; and doesn't show up in the list of resolutions Windows recognizes in its own Display settings dialog) I know it isn't a problem with the HDMI cable or the monitor itself, because my previous (much older Intel Core i3 6th gen) Dell desktop did just fine driving the same monitor at 2560x1080.

I spent two hours on the phone with multiple levels of Dell support, and they couldn't see any reason at all why it wouldn't be working. The LG support folks are baffled. I've tried both the latest Intel UHD Graphics driver (26.20.100.7463 from 11/6/2019) and also the version Dell has on their web site as the "latest." (25.20.100.7060 from 10/21/2019)

What am I missing? Is the Intel UHD driver support just not there yet for 10th Generation Core i3? Is something buggy? Or am I just missing something important?

0 Kudos
50 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You are on a preview of W10. Report these problems to Microsoft.

Doc

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

I've posted this already in the Insider Hub's forum for Insider releases of Windows 10. Assuming it is not a bug related to this build on the slow ring, what else should I be looking at? What am I missing?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In 90% of cases similar to this reported to Intel, replacing the cable has fixed the issue. I suggest that you purchase/borrow a HDMI 2.0 compliant cable (just to be sure quality-wise) and see if this makes a difference.

...S

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

As I mentioned, the exact same HDMI cable I've been using worked fine for driving the exact same monitor at its full 2560x1080 resolution with a much older Dell desktop system. But just for fun, I grabbed a separate "High Speed" HDMI cable and tried it--no change to the situation.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Again, what worked elsewhere doesn't matter. High Speed is a terribly broken and misleading label. Cables compliant to this label may only barely meet the requirements for HDMI 1.4 - and, in many cases, can have problems above 1080p. You need to look for cables that are labeled Premium High Speed or, if you really want to be sure, HDMI 2.0 certified.

Have you checked with Dell to see whether there are any Graphics Firmware updates? If they are using LSPcon IC, this might be the case.

...S

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

I hear what you're saying and agree that implementation of the HDMI standards have a pretty good variance. (That's why I used scare quotes with the high speed label.) I've come across it before. I'l take another look, but when I can use both HDMI cables from multiple other PCs to drive that full resolution, I'd be quite surprised if that could be the problem.

Regarding graphics firmware updates from Dell: There are no additional firmware updates available of any kind. They don't seem to have any non-Intel firmware in use, which would rule out LSPcon, if I understand that capability correctly. (or if they do, there are no updates) It looks like the standard integrated Intel UHD graphics natively supports HDMI output from the ark.intel.com specs.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's true, but the mobo, in the absence of LSPcon IC, still has to include an IC providing the transceivers for this output. If these are poor or noisy - which could be a general issue or an issue specific to just to your board - then support is problematic. By going to a cable with the higher specification, you have better support for higher frequencies and noise immunity, which could eliminate the effects of both kinds of issues.

Have you checked for a BIOS update? Some manufacturers embed firmware updates for hardware within their BIOS packages. Regardless, some of the initialization of the graphics engine is done by the BIOS. There may be updates to the graphics Op-ROM that is built into the BIOS.

...S

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

I have now tested it using a certified HDMI 2.0 cable and confirmed it makes no difference in this case. It is still unable to drive the full resolution.

And yes, I have checked that there are no BIOS updates available from Dell for it.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, an Intel Customer Support engineer will need to look into this. To assist with this effort, I suggest that you download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and then (upload and) attach the program's log file to a response post.

...S

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

I am attaching the results from the Intel System Support Utility for Windows here.

0 Kudos
LTóth
Beginner

Hi! I have the same problem with LG 34UM68-P Monitor and Dell Inspiron 5593 notebook. Has your problem been solved? I tried everithing, but my monitor still work only 1920x1080 resolution. If you solved the problem, please tell me what was the solution.

0 Kudos
MAleh
Beginner

Same resolution issue on laptop DELL 5593 and monitor LG 25UM58-P. Does anyone know the answer?

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello VHugh,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information. Please follow these steps: 

Please generate the following reports and attach them to this thread. 

DXDIAG report: 

• Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R. 
  • On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK. 
  • On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information. 
  • Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.

Graphics report:

• Please connect the LG 34" UltraWide monitor to your computer.
  • Open the Intel® Graphics Command Center.
  • Click on support, then system diagnostic, click on generate report.
  • Save the file and attach it to the thread.

Please provide the full model of your LG monitor.

Note: Thank you for the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows report.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice
The full model of my LG monitor is: 34UM61. I am attaching a photo of its tag. I have also attached the other reports you requested. [cid:839c986c-0cdc-4914-9962-80d9c3b0e964]
0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

Hi sorry. Didn't see the next page button on this thread and had attached things to the email response. Here they are again.

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello VHugh,

Thank you for your answer.

I am unable to see the files on the thread, can you please attach them one more time directly to the thread?

Can you please provide the model of the Dell desktop that works fine with the LG monitor?

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
VHugh
Novice

Hi Adrian. I added them to my previous post.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello VHugh,

Thank you for sharing the information requested.

I was checking the reports and I found out your BIOS is not up to date. The current version you have is 1.2.0 and the latest available version for your computer is 1.3.0.

• I will recommend you to update the BIOS.
  • https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3593-laptop/drivers
  • Make sure to use the latest customized drivers from the OEM 25.20.100.7060.
  • Check for monitor firmware updates. (Make sure your monitor has the latest update).
  • Try to test another monitor/TV to check if you can get the resolution.
  • Just to confirm is the monitor straight connected HDMI to HDMI or are you using any adapter/dongle?
  • Can you please let me know the model of the other Dell computer that gets the resolution 2560x1080?

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos