Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20710 Discussions

2560x1440 on Intel HD 4600 via DVI-D Dual-Link (Bad Windows drivers from Intel)

QPi
Beginner

My monitor supports 2560x1440 and it's connected to Intel HD 4600 via DVI-D Dual-Link cable but not working at this resolution on Windows, but works on GNU/Linux. So, it's obviously a software problem.

This works on GNU/Linux (Ubuntu) great at the 2560x1440 @ 60Hz but on Windows 7 with all updates (tried both with and without Intel newest drivers from intel site) it works ONLY in 1920x1080 and it DOES NOT work at 2560x1440 at all.

The same cable, the same monitor, the difference is OS and apparently Intel drivers.

HD 4600 was selected by me for buying (as a part of CPU obviously) because it was advertised to support 2560x1440, so keep your promises.

So, the conditions for you to reproduce if you need:

1. Windows 7 up to date.
  2. 2560x1440 monitor
  3. DVI-D Dual-Link connection

Works as expected on GNU/Linux (2560x1440) and doesn't work on Windows with your drivers (1920x1080 max).

If you want to get any service logs or dumps, please take them here (the user KAPACbwork provided a lot of information already):

/thread/118531 https://communities.intel.com/thread/118531

It's an ticket about the same issue, which was not solved (but it was set as "Assumed Answered" probably after the guy with the issue lost any hope to get it fixed).

0 Kudos
23 Replies
RonaldM_Intel

Hi again,

From the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html processor's datasheet mentioned before:

Page 32: "Each digital port is capable of driving resolutions up to 3840x2160 at 60 Hz through DisplayPort* and 4096x2304 at 24 Hz/2560x1600 at 60 Hz using HDMI*"

Page 36:

The above table shows the maximum resolution for DVI connections. As stated in page 32: "The processor supports streaming any 3 independent and simultaneous display combination of DisplayPort*/HDMI*/DVI/eDP*/VGA monitors with the exception of 3 simultaneous display support of HDMI*/DVI". What this also means is that using 1, 2 or 3 displays does not affect the streaming capabilities of each one since they are independent from each other.

We also recommend consumers to check the system capabilities and limitations with each Original Equipment Manufacturer (i.e. laptop manufacturer of the motherboard manufacturer) before any purchase.

Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
QPi
Beginner

As stated in page 32: "The processor supports streaming any 3 independent and simultaneous display combination of ... monitors with the exception of 3 simultaneous display support of HDMI*/DVI".

Ronald_Intel say: What this also means is that using 1, 2 or 3 displays does not affect the streaming capabilities of each one since they are independent from each other.

No, it doesn't. If it were it would say so directly without any interpretations.

If you treat "independent" word this way, then the sentence will just state the list of possible 3 (THREE) monitors options for use. Nothing about capabilities, it's far-fetched and not based on datasheet.

And this table does not say about single monitors, it's just example of valid 3 display configurations, read the time of table.

-----------------------------------

On contrary, on page 34 there is a topic "Digital Video Interface" (what we need).

And it states:

The processor Digital Ports can be configured to drive DVI-D. DVI uses TMDS for transmitting data from the transmitter to the receiver, which is similar to the HDMI protocol except for the audio and CEC. Refer to the HDMI section for more information on the signals and data transmission.

So, the DVI-D shuold be supported. DVI-D, according to standard, does support 2560 × 1600, so it must be supported otherwise the so-called datasheet of intel has a lie.

There is no the statement, that resolution for DVI-D on single monitor and can be limited by faulty drivers.

And even more, the CPU WORKS IN GNU/LINUX with 2560 × 1600, DO YOU HERE ME? Can you explain this? I can, - the faulty Intel drivers.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi QueNuu

Ronald stated our Windows support and unfortunately DL-DVI is not supported and we do not support the higher resolutions you're trying to achieve with single link DVI either. This is not an issue, this is intentional support. I understand your frustration since this isn't the answer you were looking for; I also understand your point that you say it works in Linux, though support isn't always based on what's possible but rather a number of technical and business factors and this level of support was decided for DVI connections. We provided the display connections and combinations that will help you achieve the desired resolutions. Further, I do advise using a direct HDMI or DP connection to achieve higher resolutions as not all dongles are supported either unfortunately, so some dongles may have issues and I'd like to limit any further possible frustrations with your connections. I thank you for your inquiry, I am closing this inquiry now as resolved. Thank you.

.:Bryce:.

0 Kudos