Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

3D rendering issue on 12th gen Intel Core i3

PLYMET
New Contributor I

We are experiencing a 3D rendering issue in our software which seems to be caused by the Intel driver. The software is developed in .NET Framework version 4.8 and is using WPF for the graphical user interface. WPF is using DirectX 9 for the 3D rendering.

Attached some images from a demo application we have developed to illustrate the issue. This 3D render is based on a example from Microsoft, so we are sure that our code is not the issue.

We are only experiencing this issue on computers equipped with a 12th gen Intel Core i3 12100. The problem is reproducible on all systems with the exact same hardware. It turns out that it does work if we change the driver to “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”. So the problem is only related to the Intel driver.

We have also tested it with a 10th gen Intel Core i3 10100 and here everything is working fine. So the problem only occurs in combination with a 12th gen CPU.

I have tested it in combination with Windows 10 LTSC 1809 and Windows Pro 21H2 (19044). Both have the same issue.

25 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello PLYMET, 

Thanks for your patience. We have tested this issue using a system (which supports DirectX9 naively)and did not experience any issue, however, when we forced it to use D3D9on12 instead of DirectX9 to simulate a GPU not supporting DirectX9 natively we experienced the issue that you mentioned.

Since the results show that the issue is only present when the GPU is forced to use D3D9on12, at this point, you have two options if you want your application to function as expected on ADL and onwards:

1. Migrate the application to a newer DirectX version, such as DirectX12.

2. Contact Microsoft support so they can find the root cause of this issue on D3D9on12 and fix it.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
PLYMET
New Contributor I

Thanks for looking into this!

Where can I find which CPU supports DirectX9 naively? I looked at the datasheet, but here Direct3D 9 is still listed in the "API Support" paragraph. So now I do not know exactly for which CPU to expect this issue.

Also, how did you forced it to use D3D9on12? I would like to reproduce it myself, so I can send more detailed information to Microsoft support.

Migrating the application to a newer DirectX version is not so easy because WPF 3D (part of .NET) internally uses DirectX 9.
0 Kudos
NorSupport
Beginner

Hi,

We also have the same problem, and I'll post my reply here as well as in the issue mentioned above.

It seems that all applications using WPF 3D will have major problems in the future, as 12th gen Intel CPUs are rolled out to a greater and greater extent.

Until a permanent solution from Intel or Microsoft arrives, I can suggest the following workarounds:

1. Solution in code:
    Enter the following setting in the xaml code of your Window:
    RenderOptions.EdgeMode="Aliased"
  2. Solution for computers with dedicated graphics card:
    Go to Graphic Settings in Windows, add your application, and select "High performance".
  3. Solution for computers that only have Intel CPU embedded graphics:
    Download and install Intel Graphics Command Center. Add your application as a game and set Anti-Aliasing to "Always on" or "Always off". Both seem to work, as long as "Application Controlled" is not specified

Again, these are 3 different workarounds that we have found, but none are optimal. If anyone has any better suggestions, or a permanent solution comes out, I hope this can be shared!

Question to Intel: Why is it that solution 3 works? Obviously "Application Controlled" means something else than "On" or "Off", but that does not make any sense to me...

0 Kudos
NorSupport
Beginner

Hi,

Any news on this issue?

Posted some workarounds here, but they all have their flaws, so we need a better solution:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Graphics-failure-with-WPF-3D-content-and-Iris-XE/m-p/1417581/highlight/true#M110056

0 Kudos
PLYMET
New Contributor I

The issue seems to be fixed after updating to the latest Intel Driver.
I have tested it with version 31.0.101.4091.

For more information see: https://github.com/microsoft/D3D9On12/issues/52#issuecomment-1385954805

0 Kudos