Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20692 Discussions

4k supported but not available

roelandvanbeek

Intel Control Panel says my display supports 4K yet I can't select it.

I got a new 4K display to connect my laptop to, but I can't get it to run at 4K. My older laptop connecting over the same dock to the same display does run at 4K. But the new one just sticks to "1920x1280 (recommended)".  The 4K mode is not available in the list, not via the Intel Control Panel and not via Windows. 

I opened the Intel Control Panel and found a complete list of supported modes there, including 40K over 30Hz, as expected. It also gives a green checkmark that my display supports 4K. Yet I still can't choose it. 

I don't understand where this is going wrong, who can point me in the right direction?

PC: Dell XPS 13 Plus / 9320

Chipset: i7-1260P

Windows 11

Display: Philips 276E8V

USB-dock: i-TEC metal nano docking, supporting 4K@30Hz

Connecting over HDMI cable supporting 4K@60Hz

0 Kudos
31 Replies
nbarsotti
Novice

Seems like the same issue I'm having. (1) Re: USB-C to HDMI 2.1, limited to after 30.0.101.1631 - Intel Communities
I hope Intel can fix this problem.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• When did the issue start?
  • What is the resolution set on the laptop's embedded display?
  • Have you tried lowering the resolution set on the embedded display?
  • You mentioned you tried a USB-dock station. Could you try using a straight connection?

I also would recommend performing a clean installation of the latest Dell driver, 31.0.101.3301, A05. There are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer (OEM)

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

When did the issue start?

What is the resolution set on the laptop's embedded display?

Have you tried lowering the resolution set on the embedded display?

You mentioned you tried a USB-dock station. Could you try using a straight connection?

I also would recommend performing a clean installation of the latest Dell driver, 31.0.101.3301, A05. There are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer (OEM)

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek

Dear Jean,

Thank you for your reply. 

When did the issue start: when I first connected an external 4K display to my laptop this week. I bought the laptop only a month ago, and the 4K display this week. The issue is probably older than that but it was no issue for me because I worked with a external FHD display before.

The resolution of the embedded display: it's 1920x1280, so I'm not sure if 4K would have worked on the embedded display. I assume it would, because the same laptop is also sold with an embedded 4K display, that would have been noticed for sure. Lowering the resolution further makes no difference.

Trying a straight connection: unfortunately my laptop only has USB-C ports, no HDMI or DisplayPort, so I cannot connect directly. I have connected the same dock to a different laptop, and then the 4K resolution works fine, so the dock and display seem to work correctly.

A clean install of the latest Dell driver does not fix the issue. However, @nbarsotti 's suggestion of reverting to firmware Dell 30.0.101.1631, A02 does fix the issue. Now I can use 4K resolution. So it seems to me that the later version of the driver introduces the problem. I hope a solution can be found, because I don't want to be stuck on an older driver.

Kind regards,

Roeland

0 Kudos
nbarsotti
Novice

Have you tried rolling the drivers back to 30.0.101.1631 from Intel or (Dell 30.0.101.1631, A02)?  I'll bet you it fixes your problem.

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek

It definitely does fix my problem, thanks for that. But now I'm stuck with an outdated driver...

0 Kudos
nbarsotti
Novice

I'm glad to  hear that fixed your problem. Now if we can only get Intel to realize that they've had a bug in their drivers for the last 6 months maybe they can get around to fixing it.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek and nbarsotti,

Thanks for rolling back to a previous driver.

I understand that you are not whiling to keep using an older driver, so I would like to recommend you try our latest generic driver to confirm if the issue still persists. Intel’s generic graphics drivers are intended for testing, please, try a clean installation of the Intel generic driver version 31.0.101.3430.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
nbarsotti
Novice

Hi Jean, Yes I've tried a clean install with both the Intel driver and the Dell driver.  Re: Re:USB-C to HDMI 2.1, limited to after 30.0.101.1631 - Intel Communities

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek

Dear Jean, unfortunately I'm not able to test this for the next week or so, I will get back to you once I have. Thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello nbarsotti,

I would recommend you stick with your original thread for a more personalized troubleshooting step for your issue. I understand that you are waiting for a response; however, our team is investigating the problem, and you will receive a response once more details are available.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

Thanks for your reply.

I would wait for your response. Let me know if you face any inconvenience.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek

Dear Jean,

I have been able to do clean installation of the Intel generic driver version 31.0.101.3430. Unfortunately, the issue still persists.

Kind regards,

Roeland

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

Thanks for your response.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

Regarding your issue I would like to gather the following information:

• Intel does not recommend using dockings/adapters as this can cause the wrong color or resolution, flickering, low refresh rate, and any other graphics-related issues, for this reason, should test straight connections even though the older system works. I understand you have a DELL system with thunderbolt only; however, is there a way for you to connect this straight? single cable? type C to DP cable o type c to HDMI cable?

• What is the driver that works for you?-

• Have you updated the Firmware of the docking and checked with Dell for compatible dockings for your system, and confirmed this will allow 4k with docks in this system?

• Can you provide us with a Graphics report using the Intel® Graphics Command Center with the docking connected? and if possible without it, i.e using a straight connection? 

• Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
    • Navigate to the Support tab
    • Select System Diagnostic
    • Click Generate Report
    • Select Save and name the output file.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek

Dear Jean,

My answers to your questions:

• Is there a way to connect this without using an adapter or docking? I don't think that is technically possible. Somehow the Thunderbolt/USB signal has to be converted to HDMI. I think cables exist with an integrated adapter, but those are still an adapter and could cause new problems. Also, I don't have such a cable and I don't really want to buy one just for testing purposes. I also can't find any major brands selling those, only adapters.
  • (In the meantime, I have connected two other Thunderbolt 3 laptops to this same setup and both output 4K just fine, so I really don't think it's because of the docking.)
  • The last driver that works is Dell 30.0.101.1631, A02.
  • The docking has no ability to update the firmware. It supports Thunderbolt 3 and specifies my specific laptop as compatible. My laptop supports Thunderbolt 4.
  • The Intel® Graphics Command Center fails to generate a report, both with the older and newer firmware. See the attached screenshot. In Dutch, but it says Generating Error Report Failed. I can't see why this is.
  • The SSU report is attached.

Kind regards,

Roeland

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek

Dear Jean, I posted a reply to your questions above.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/4k-supported-but-not-available/m-p/1426144#M110795

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

It seems that there was an error with the website and your previous message did not show up before your reply. My apologies for the inconvenience.

I will now continue researching this matter once again. I will post back with more details soon.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos