Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20692 Discussions

USB-C to HDMI 2.1, limited to after 30.0.101.1631

nbarsotti
Novice

I have Dell 5420 with Intel i5-1145G7.  I output to an LG CX 48" TV at 4K 120 Hz using a Club3D usb-c to HDMI 2.1 cable.  Every driver since 30.0.101.1631 has been broken and limited to 1080p 60 Hz.  30.0.101.1631 is the last functioning driver.  I have tried different cables, different ports, adding a Thunderbolt 4 dock.  The only reliable way to get 4K out of the usb-c port is to use the old driver.  Does anyone have a way to "fix" the newer drivers? Doesn't anyone know when Intel will fix this regression in their drivers?

10 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @nbarsotti

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We just performed a quick test using the same CPU and Graphics model as the ones you have and with the latest driver, and the 4K resolution is working fine:

• Intel® NUC NUC11TNH
  • Display Samsung* F32TU872VN
  • Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics, Graphics driver 31.0.101.3430.
  • Intel® Core™ i5-1145G7
  • Graphics 4K Lab.jpg

In order to review this behavior further, could you please provide us with the following details?

1- We understand that you have tried a USB-C to HDMI* 2.1 adapter and a Thunderbolt* 4 dock. Just to make sure, have you tried using a straight-through connection with a single cable? For instance, HDMI-to-HDMI, or USB-C to USB-C, and without using any adapters, converters, or dockings?

2- When you said "every driver since 30.0.101.1631 has been broken and limited to 1080p 60 Hz". Does this also include the customized¹ drivers from the computer manufacturer (OEM) DELL* which are validated for your computer?

3- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Note:

1- OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues.

The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer; therefore, the usual recommendation is to install the OEM drivers to avoid losing features or customizations.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
nbarsotti
Novice
  1. The monitor/TV I am using is an LG OLED48CXAUB. There are no DisplayPort or Thunderbolt inputs.  Only 3 HDMI 2.1 ports.  If I connect the Dell Latitude 5420 HDMI 2.0b output directly to the TV with a HDMI cable I can output at 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz.  If I connect my Club 3D CAC-1587 cable (USB-C to HDMI 2.1 w/ DCS 1.2) to either of the Dell Thunderbolt 4 outputs I do not get the option for anything higher than 1080p60 if the driver is newer than 30.0.101.1631.
  2. I have tried Dell supplied drivers and they appear to work exactly like drivers supplied by Intel.
    1. Dell 30.0.101.3222, A10 (no 4K)  (I think Dell is incorrectly labeling the driver number, driver is actually 31.0.101.3222)
    2. Dell 30.0.101.1692, A09 (no 4k)
    3. Dell 30.0.101.1338, A08 (working 4k)
  3. I have attached the SSU when running the newest Dell driver 31.0.101.3222 and the older Intel 30.0.101.1631 driver.  The screenshots also show the behavior.
  4. nbarsotti_1-1665441528054.png

5. nbarsotti_0-1665441506899.png

AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello nbarsotti

Thank you for your response and the screenshots.

Based on the information provided, we understand that when using a straight-through connection HDMI-to-HDMI, you get "3840x2160 @ 60 Hz." which is the expected behavior and almost the Max Supported Resolution over HDMI* for the Intel® Core™ i5-1145G7 Processor (4096x2304@60Hz).

This is pointing out that the behavior only occurs when using the USB-C to HDMI adapter and the Dell* Thunderbolt 4 dock.

It is important to keep in mind that Intel does not recommend using any kind of adapters and can not guarantee 3rd party products/adapters will work as expected. For more details, please review this article: Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel.

In this scenario, we would like to suggest the following steps:

1- First, let's just make sure that the Operating System (OS) is up to date, please refer to Update Windows*.

2- We can see there is a Thunderbolt Controller Driver (version 1.41.1193.0, A11) a DELL Dock firmware, and a DisplayLink Dock Driver available for your computer on Dell's website. Therefore, we recommend contacting DELL Support to review if those downloads are valid for your laptop and for the model of your DELL dock and for instructions to install them.

3- Also, we recommend checking with the manufacturer of the Club 3D CAC-1587 cable to review if they have any driver/firmware available and recommended that may help with this behavior.

4- If the problem persists, you may try a clean installation of the latest customized driver from Dell* just to discard issues related to installation processes: Intel UHD/Iris Xe Graphics Driver, version 30.0.101.3222, A10.

As a second option, you can try the clean installation one more time using the latest generic Intel® DCH Graphics driver, version 31.0.101.3430.

We hope this helps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
nbarsotti
Novice

1) Yes my version of windows is up to date. Win 11 Pro 22H2, 22621.675.  October 2022 cumulative update.

2) The Dell Thunderbolt controller firmware is update to date.  I am not using a Dell dock.  I have tested a Kensington SD5700T Thunderbolt 4 dock and I get the same results as using the Thunderbolt 4 port directly on the laptop.  The Kensington sd5700T does not have any available firmware updates.

3) The Clud 3D CAC-1587 cable does not have any available firmware updates.

4) I have tried a clean installation of drivers and it makes no difference.  I have tried the newest drivers from Dell and the newest driver from Intel doing clean installs.

The problem really seems like something changed in the newer Intel drivers.  Same OS, same computer, same cables, same dock all work on earlier drivers. Move to a newer driver and it stops working.  4K 120hz works with Ubuntu with all the same hardware and cables.  Windows 10 with the exact same hardware and cables exhibits the same behavior as Windows 11, old drivers good, new drivers bad.

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek

I seem to have the same issue. Details in this post: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/4k-supported-but-not-available/m-p/1422274/highlight/true#M110432.

Reverting to firmware Dell 30.0.101.1338 makes my 4K resolution work. Thanks a lot for your post. I hope Dell and/or Intel can fix this soon.

nbarsotti
Novice
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello nbarsotti

Thank you for your response.

Please allow us to take a look into this and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
nbarsotti
Novice

Thank you, I look forward to your next reply.

AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello nbarsotti

After reviewing this further, at this point the best is to check with Dell support to report to them this issue. From our end, we can make sure our drivers are working properly as you are able to reach 4K resolution when it is straight connected. As well, in our test 4k resolution works fine.

Dockings/adapters may cause modifications in the way EDID from the display is being read. We understand it worked but we can not guarantee 3rd party products/adapters will work as expected.

Therefore, our recommendation is to continue working with DELL Support on this matter so they may assist you with further debugging and support.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
nbarsotti
Novice

Well I guess it's a good thing I just learned my new job is going to supply me with a Macbook M1 Pro. 

0 Kudos