Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20651 Discussions

7490 black screen with UHD graphics 620

Eric30
Beginner

Hello,

I have exactly this same problem as described https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Dell-Latitude-7490-UHD-Graphics-620-midway-driver-installation/m-p/1453659/highlight/true

It does not seem to be an isolated problem, as searching on the DELL forums finds similar issues. 

I have done the same trouble shooting of fresh installs of windows from both microsoft as well as dell. The computer can run on the basic display adapter, but once intel kicks in and is installed, it crashes.

Are there any updates to this problem?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Eric30

Thank you for posing on the Intel Communities. I am sorry that you are experiencing freezes when trying to update your graphics driver.

Based on the thread that you are sharing, if the issue is exactly the same and if you already tried to replace your SSD or hard driver and reinstalled the Operating System, our recommendation is to contact your system manufacturer directly for further troubleshooting or warranty replacements.

In case you want us to do troubleshooting with us, please share the following information:

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Eric30
Beginner

It turned out to be the RAM. On an off chance, I tried ram from my known good laptop and it booted.

It was a surprise to me because:

1) the SDD was dead, I did have to replace it. When I put the SDD from the t420 into my known good laptop it wouldn't get past POST.

2) in safe mode, with a new SDD, the t420 had no black screen at all. Only once the it was rebooted with any intel UHD 620 driver installed.

3) the built into BIOS diagnostics gave the RAM a pass.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Eric30

Thank you for letting us know, it is interesting that it turned out to be a RAM issue. We are glad to know you found a solution, thank you for taking the time to share this fix, and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos