Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Dell Latitude 7490 UHD Graphics 620 midway driver installation crash

chbdesF
Novice

Hello Intel Community,

Setup: Dell Latitude 7490 i7 8650U 32GB with fresh W11 Pro 64-bit installation with just the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" showing in Device Manager/Display Adapters. All Windows Updates are installed. All Dell Support Assist drivers are installed, bar the Graphics Driver, incl BIOS 1.30.0.

Problem: When updating the graphics driver via

• Windows Update (run after WIndows 11 reinstalled several times)
  • Dell SupportAssist 
  • Dell website driver download (whether auto or manual installation, using Service Tag)
  • Intel website driver download (searching for UHD Graphics 620)

the moment the installation gets a certain way through, the screen goes black and freezes. Forcibly shutting down the computer and rebooting, after the Dell splash, and a short spinning of the circle, the spinning circle freezes. After a few more forcible restarts, the Windows "Automatic Repair Tool" comes up, does diagnostics. Returning the computer to Restore Point I create before the graphics driver installation allows Windows to boot normally. The problem seems, therefore, directly related to updating the graphics driver, no matter from Windows, Dell or Intel sources.

History: This happened a week ago today. I initially interpreted the problem as an SSD boot failure: the computer had been working an hour before; booting up, the Dell splash froze, as described above. I concluded that the BIOS was not managing to pass control to the SSD and Windows. I reinstalled Windows, wiping the SSD, and though the multiple reinstalls would initially work, it would soon then fail. I thus interpreted this as being that the SSD boot sector was partly damaged but sometimes working.  I bought a new SSD and found that the same thing was happening after installing Windows. Finally I locked on to the graphics card driver installation being the problem when using Dell Support Assist to update the drivers (first time installing all of them in one go, and then, after another refresh, installing the updates one by one). It now made sense that the problem in booting was coming from the passage from the Dell splash screen to Windows/GPU (noticing more closely the timings of the swirling circle, I realised that the freeze must be happening when the BIOS was handing over to the Graphics Driver). I have tried finding earlier versions of the drivers to see if they would work, but 32-bit ones on the Dell website won't install, even though Dell says they will. Finally going to the Intel website and getting the most recent 64 bit driver (gfx_win101.2115.exe) still causes the same freeze midway through installation. On these forums, I found the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (see screenshot attached), everything passes, but notes on the left: Graphics Information: Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

Current Conclusion: In my head I can now only conclude that the recent UHD Graphics 620 drivers are duff; or that the GPU in broken such that, midway through the installation of drivers, passing control to the GPU, the screen seizes up; and that the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" gets round this somehow (by being a "software" GPU or something?). In the latter case, therefore need new laptop or new processor/GPU.

Random extra info: The night before the crash I was working till 4am with the laptop resting on a duvet (its cold here), maybe it overheated?; then, in the morning, it having worked twice already that morning (so not overheated?), having plugged in the power cable, but noticing the power light of the cable not on, I looked to see the power cable block had become separated from the mains lead, I connected them, and there was a slight spark (meanwhile the computer was booting). Could this have zapped the GPU? But it appears not as all working fine except for graphics driver updates.

I would be very grateful for any help. This is my first ever post in a Forum, usually I find what I need searching online. Please shout if any more info needed.

Thank you,

Charlie

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello chbdesF,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your Intel® UHD Graphics 620, I will be glad to help you.

In order to better assist you and investigate further about this, please provide the following information:

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

If you would rather not post the Intel® System Support Utility file here, please let me know, so I can email you to the email address associated to your Community user, or you may also send it to me through a private message and then let me know you did so in your reply. 

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
chbdesF
Novice

Hello Steven,

First of all, very exciting to have your reply, as say, this is my first ever post, thank you very much. Apologies for delay replying

Your questions:

• Whilst I don't specifically remember upgrading the Graphics Driver, by any of the methods, I am sure I will have done so in the mix of updates. I wiped the computer last February, upgrading to Windows 11 Pro, and then installed all the updates in Windows Update Settings. I then ran Dell SupportAssist (and periodically since, as well, when it triggers me to look). In both cases I always run every available update (if an update fails then I don't persist). So I am guessing that (from wiping the computer) I must have upgraded a graphics driver at some point in the last year, if not more times.
  • I have made no hardware changes at all since the W11 Pro refresh in Feb 2022 up until the crash (NB, as say in my original post, I have changed the SSD since the crash to see if it was that that was causing the fail. In the attached SSU device info text, it is this latter SSD being used).
  • Since the crash, and before re-installation of Windows, I ran the BIOS Diagnostics tool and everything passed
  • The computer was working perfectly right up to the crash, even earlier in that day.  One sign that a full graphics card driver was installed is that I could plug the laptop in to my monitor, whereas the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" does not permit this.
  • Regarding software, I always install a minimum of apps, just Office 365, Adobe, Chrome, very streamlined. They may well update themselves, but I have hardly installed any new software in the last year, if at all

Please see attached the requested system and device information. As described above, it has all updates from Windows and Dell SupportAssist installed, except, in Dell SupportAssist, I have not installed the Graphics Driver so as not to cause the crash again.

Kind regards,

Charlie

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your detailed response.

I understand you have already tried installing the latest graphics driver v31.0.101.2115 from Intel website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/762755/intel-6th-10th-gen-processor-graphics-windows.html), but could you please try it by following the clean installation instructions (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html)? 

Let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
chbdesF
Novice

Hi Steven,

Thank you once again for your help.

The headline is that these instructions still ended up with the same crash:

Description: I have now been through all the stages in the "clean installation" sections in the instructions link you sent above. Since the instructions are mostly assuming that a driver is already installed, many steps weren't relevant, but I did them as fully as I could:

Clean Installation of Intel Graphics Drivers in Windows instructions:

"Identify and Download the Graphics Driver" Section

• Did #1 & #2; #3 shows "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"; so #4, #5 & #6 are irrelevant.
  • However you kindly gave me the link to the correct driver, so no matter

"Execute a Clean Installation During Driver Installation" Section

• Did #1 & #2; #3 did not give the "Execute a clean installation" checkbox (presumably as there is no driver installed); so did not do #4 & #5 as I have been here before (see first post)

"Additional Information if you do not see "Execute a clean installation" etc... Section

• Given that the goal of #s 2 to 5 is to make "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" appear, which it already was, these were no doubt unnecessary, however, for completeness I did them:
  • Did #1 (disconnect from internet), #2 & #3. But #4 no dialogue box appears (again, presumably as there are no proper drivers installed)
  • Scanning for hardware made the Display Adapters reappear in the list. Redid #4. Did #5 (Restart), #6 (Open Device Manager)
  • Interlude: in order to see next steps in the instructions I had to connect to the internet. This seemed to allow Windows to download and install the driver, so the screen went its usual blank after a while (I was distracted by work stuff); I then had to use a restore point to get back to this stage;
  • I didn't bother with #9 as it was clear it would cause the same problem

"If the installation is unsuccessful with the .exe file, try installing using the .zip file" Section

• Did #1; #2 irrelevant as already there; did #s 3 to 10 (see attached screenshots)
  • I videoed the next part so you can watch it (see wetransfer link as first video too big for forum uploads: https://we.tl/t-5PcpJwVrPm )
  • Did #11 which crashed the computer as usual (though in its rarer (2 or 3 times) slightly more dramatic fashion, where, in addition to the blank screen, there is a buzzing sound and vibration in the computer. Normally when installing the driver the screen simply goes blank (or at the Dell splash, the circle stops turning ... a video of this is also in the WeTransfer link/attached files))
  • So forcibly off the computer, and had to do go back to the Restore Point again (I almost know my Bitlocker Key off by heart now 🙂)

And that is what happened with all the instructions. I hope these descriptions/screenshots/videos may be helpful.

Thank you once again for all your help,

Charlie

0 Kudos
chbdesF
Novice

Thank you, Steven, I will have a go straightaway, and report back, Charlie

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your detailed response.

I will be working on this case and as soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
chbdesF
Novice

Thank you, Steven, I am very grateful

Charlie

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello chbdesF,

Thank you for your patience.

Based on the troubleshooting steps performed, and considering that you have already reinstalled the operating system and replaced the SSD, this does not seem to be related to the Intel Graphics drivers.

Since we have not received any additional reports from other users having this issue, could you please confirm if the same issue occurs with the latest graphics driver recommended by Dell v30.0.101.1338 (https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/latitude-14-7490-laptop/drivers)?

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
chbdesF
Novice

Hello Steve,

Sorry slow to get back on this. Thank you for all your assistance, very patient.

That's right, I have reinstalled the OS and replaced the SSD. I would be very grateful if you would you explain (for a novice) how, based on these actions and what we have done, that your reasoning would be that it is therefore not related to the Intel Graphics drivers? Do you mean that we have covered all the software problems, so it must be hardware? 

I have just tried installing the new driver (v30.0.101.1338) and the usual problem happens, screen goes blank and need to go back to previous restore point.

For good measure, I also saw that older drivers were available, so I tried installing the oldest edition (v23.20.16.4973 A5) of the driver, per the Dell website for my service tag, and again the same thing happened. Interestingly, though, when installing it asked (see attached photo) if I was sure I wanted to roll back to earlier drivers, and gave the versions of the currently installed drivers (see photo 1). I thought this was strange, as, as far as I am concerned, there is only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter ("MBDA") installed. But then it occurred to me that they could exist concurrently as the MBDA is a software based driver, part of Windows, for basic graphics needs when the graphics card has no driver (and so may be completely bypassing the GPU); and that the GPU DOES have some drivers installed (v10.0.22621.1, see photo 1). The second photo first line shows the installation package "uninstalling" the install driver first, before the installation makes the screen blank as usual. 

So do you reckon we are at the end of the road for solving the problem? Do you think that the GPU could somehow be bricked? Would you propose any sledgehammer solutions (eg replace the Graphics Card (=, I think, replace the motherboard?). New Computer? I have obviously come to the Intel forum first. Would you suggest taking it up with the Dell forums? Or the Microsoft forums? Or do you have some next steps, even now?

The most tantalizing thing for me is that everything works on the computer normally, other than this. If it weren't for the desire to connect the laptop to a monitor I wouldn't even notice the problem. My only other idea is whether there would be a way of putting in another graphics card (I'm guessing not), while keeping the current motherboard.

I only have one humble need, no gaming graphics necessary, just to connect to a monitor.

Thank you again, Steve,

Charlie

0 Kudos
chbdesF
Novice

Hello Steve,

Sorry slow to get back on this. Thank you for all your assistance, very patient.

That's right, I have reinstalled the OS and replaced the SSD. I would be very grateful if you would you explain (for a novice) how, based on these actions and what we have done, that your reasoning would be that it is therefore not related to the Intel Graphics drivers? Do you mean that we have covered all the software problems, so it must be hardware? 

I have just tried installing the new driver (v30.0.101.1338) and the usual problem happens, screen goes blank and need to go back to previous restore point.

For good measure, I also saw that older drivers were available, so I tried installing the oldest edition (v23.20.16.4973 A5) of the driver, per the Dell website for my service tag, and again the same thing happened. Interestingly, though, when installing it asked (see attached photo) if I was sure I wanted to roll back to earlier drivers, and gave the versions of the currently installed drivers (see photo 1). I thought this was strange, as, as far as I am concerned, there is only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter ("MBDA") installed. But then it occurred to me that they could exist concurrently as the MBDA is a software based driver, part of Windows, for basic graphics needs when the graphics card has no driver (and so may be completely bypassing the GPU); and that the GPU DOES have some drivers installed (v10.0.22621.1, see photo 1). The second photo first line shows the installation package "uninstalling" the install driver first, before the installation makes the screen blank as usual. 

So do you reckon we are at the end of the road for solving the problem? Do you think that the GPU could somehow be bricked? Would you propose any sledgehammer solutions (eg replace the Graphics Card (=, I think, replace the motherboard?). New Computer? I have obviously come to the Intel forum first. Would you suggest taking it up with the Dell forums? Or the Microsoft forums? Or do you have some next steps, even now?

The most tantalizing thing for me is that everything works on the computer normally, other than this. If it weren't for the desire to connect the laptop to a monitor I wouldn't even notice the problem. My only other idea is whether there would be a way of putting in another graphics card (I'm guessing not), while keeping the current motherboard.

I only have one humble need, no gaming graphics necessary, just to connect to a monitor.

Thank you again, Steve,

Charlie

0 Kudos
chbdesF
Novice

Hello Steve,

That's right, I have reinstalled the OS and replaced the SSD. I would be very grateful if you would you explain (for a novice) how, based on these actions and what we have done, that your reasoning would be that it is therefore not related to the Intel Graphics drivers? Do you mean that we have covered all the software problems, so it must be hardware? 

For good measure, I also saw that older drivers were available, so I tried installing the oldest edition (v23.20.16.4973 A5) of the driver, per the Dell website for my service tag, and again the same thing happened. Interestingly, though, when installing it asked (see attached photo) if I was sure I wanted to roll back to earlier drivers, and gave the versions of the currently installed drivers (see photo 1). I thought this was strange, as, as far as I am concerned, there is only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter ("MBDA") installed. But then it occurred to me that they could exist concurrently as the MBDA is a software based driver, part of Windows, for basic graphics needs when the graphics card has no driver (and so may be completely bypassing the GPU); and that the GPU DOES have some drivers installed (v10.0.22621.1, see photo 1). The second photo first line shows the installation package "uninstalling" the install driver first, before the installation makes the screen blank as usual. 

Thank you again, Steve,

Charlie

0 Kudos
chbdesF
Novice

Hi Steve, I don't seem to be able to reply, I have posted three times and then my post, which seems to load, disappears. I will try again tomorrow

Charlie

0 Kudos
chbdesF
Novice

Ah, they've all arrived now, apologies for the lack of patience, Charlie

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

Our deduction is based on the fact that even when replacing the drive and re-installing the OS, the issue persists and also because we have no other reports of this issue occurring on other similar devices with the same graphics driver. 

Now we have your confirmation that the driver provided by the OEM, which is the one customized for your device, also presents the issue. Even the older OEM drivers. 

All of that lead us to deduct that there is a possibility of a hardware failure. 

In regard to replacing the board, the graphics card, or the laptop itself, it will depend on Dell's recommendation, as they could tell you if these options are available for your laptop.

Our best recommendation is to contact their support or post on their forums for further assistance/information.

Please let me know if you have any concern.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
chbdesF
Novice

Hi Steven,

First of all, many apologies for slow reply.

Understood regarding your deductions. One final clarity for when I go to Dell is that though the hardware is made by Intel, when the hardware fails, then that responsibility is not with Intel, but has passed to Dell, presumably they purchased it from you knowing that some of your hardware will fail, ya?

I am guessing that, since it is out of warranty, then it is really on me to take the burden of the failure.

Do mark your response with "Accept as Solution", if that is the end, so at least people can see that there is no solution,

All the best,

Charlie

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

We sell our products to OEMs, and then they can use them in the systems/devices they make. Since they sell you a full product and not just some parts of it, the warranty must be provided by them.

As for now, we will proceed to close this thread. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. We appreciate your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos