Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20708 Discussions

8159769 [SCALING BUG] Windows 10 / Intel HD Graphics 4600 - Impossible to get rid of 'Black Borders' problem - Stuck at 'Constrain proportions'

RGras1
Novice

=== Device/Software information ===

32 GB DDR3L-1600 G-Skill RipJaws,

Intel Core i7-4710MQ

Intel HD Graphics 4600

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5

128 GB Samsung SSD (Boot)

1 TB Samsung Evo 850 (Games)

1 TB Hitachi HDD (Data)

Driver Version: 15.40.4.64.4256

OS Version: Windows 10 Educational

=== Problem Description ===

No matter what settings you choose for your display in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel -> Display -> Basic -> Scaling,

When you launch a fullscreen application the setting will be ignored and it will revert back to 'constrain propostions' when enabling fullscreen, then when you alt-tab to desktop it will go back to your selected mode, then you alt tab to game and it will go back to proportions setting again, making it impossible to get rid of the black borders.

The setting only is applicable in Windows 10 Desktop, doesn't work for fullscreen apps.

It worked good in Windows 8.1, I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10.

In windows 8.1 I could game on any resolution without black borders - a nice, full, filled screen.

I think I have the same issue as the sir here:

Please fix this ASAP or suggest steps to fix.

Problem does not happen without drivers (Driverless) -> Games run in full screen / fill screen mode at any resolution (so this is not a Windows bug).

112 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

You would need to ask Tsuna for the driver version, that way you can uninstall the current graphics driver and install a previous version.

Allan.

0 Kudos
SDrag2
Beginner

It's been almost 3 months since Intel first alerted Microsoft to this problem. Is there any word on an update from Microsoft as to how this issue is progressing, if this issue will be fixed in the next (or which?) update, etc.?

0 Kudos
AJaha
Beginner

Look I've got an idea . Go to my computer , properties , device manager , go to display , go properties , go to details , select Hardware IDS , copy that first line that it should look like this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0156&SUBSYS_14C71043&REV_09 . After that go to drp.su . If u look up u will see search for drivers , paste the hardware id that u copied , than in the top u will se the latest driver for ur pc and than u can download it . I did the same steps , and now I have the option to get rid of black borders : https://gyazo.com/e1b7140da2a9bb51abfb52711b16cd38 Gyazo - e1b7140da2a9bb51abfb52711b16cd38.png .Thanks

0 Kudos
JAnge4
Beginner
0 Kudos
RPett1
Beginner

Hi Guys im new here. Seems like this is a huge problem that i am also having. Is there still NO FIX OUT ?!?!

0 Kudos
RPett1
Beginner

And for you who knows - If i reinstall to windows 8 will it fix my problem?

i have a hd4600 with a nvidia 880m

0 Kudos
DDeur
Novice

This fucking bug still hasn't been fixed for Windows 10.

And Windows doesn't allow me to install the old Windows 7 driver that came with my laptop which works totally fine.

I can't play Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 with those black bars, so i have to use Windows 7 on my hard drive in order to play "without black bars"

VDang2
Beginner

Same problem here (Acer v15 Nitro Black Edition, 860M GT + Intel HD 4600). This is simply unnaceptable.

They have released like 6-7 official new drivers in the meantime while this bug was reported and they still haven't fixed it. Every single topic about this problem (that dates even back to 2014!!!) has PR "acknowledging" and "sending the problem to the techs", but how come it's still not getting fixed? Have they been "sending" this for an entire year now while the techs just throw the report into the garbage bin?

Do we seriously need to cause enough ruckus and outrage that media might finally take notice, like with the Nvidia 860M crashing bug? After like over 5000 users all flooded Nvidia's forums saying "WTF FIX IT", and spreading the news across social media that Nvidia still had not fixed the issue, they managed to release a working driver for 860M within 1 week of the forums being flooded.

0 Kudos
DDeur
Novice

Tried the same game on a older pc with Windows 10 Pro and Intel X4500 graphics ( Pentium dual core from around 2009~2011 ) and guess what, no black borders at all. It's nice scaling to full screen automatically.

So intel fix the fcking drivers and don't let me install Windows 7 as main os.

So it seems it goes full screen at 1280x720 and not above. What the heck is going on man. I installed the graphics drivers on Windows 7 mode in windows 10.

I want 4:3 to full screen @ 1280x800

I like to use RCT2 on Windows 10.

I found at that OpenRCT2 works totally fine @1600x900 and yeh that's a mod to the orginal game ( Multi player )

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi All,

I understand the frustrations, though to clarify, debug uncovered this was a two part issue, Intel's and Microsoft's. This has been resolved on our side, so it's not a matter of Intel doing something further. I'm not sure writing in this forum will reach the other responsible party, please consider alternate methods of reporting on this issue now. Thanks.

0 Kudos
DDeur
Novice

I hope it will be released when you guys want and no more switching to Windows 7.

0 Kudos
CLope12
Beginner

Please some help here, can't get the "scale full screen" option on my Intel Graphics HD 4000.

0 Kudos
fyao3
Beginner

I am a chinese, not good at english. but i want to share my solution in this issue.

you can use the setting. I use chinese win10, so i cannot give you the exact english menu item. but my method is very simple, i promiss u can find the similar setting in you system.

1, open you display setting. has several ways to do it. if you don't know, i think you are not like computer, please pass what i say. sorry.

2, advanced setting

3, display adapter option

4, in the adapter setting, you can see intel chipset etc, intel graphics hd 4400 is mine.

5, there is many tab, we use the first one, at the left below, you find: list all the mode

6, choose the exact mode. i do that only for the starcraft, that is 640*480.

7, apply and ok and ......

the desktop is very ugly now, but i think you can find and launch your lovely game. just test it.

so, all i say is one thing. change your pixel to the game using. it maybe 640*480.

the sufficient is obviously. you should setting and setting back every time when you enjoy your game.

i pained for the win10 fullscreen 3 months and cannot see little progress at microsoft and intel.

i think that is the only way by now.

if any one who good at english test and successful, maybe rewrite the text above can help the people who not good at setting.

0 Kudos
RRamo3
Beginner

Still no drivers to override application scaling settings. This is very frustrating, as I'm trying to play CSGO at 1024x768 stretched. Any updates?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi Electrosk8r,

Please read my responses above. There is nothing further for Intel to update you on, we have resolved what we can within our drivers already.

Any concerns you still have, please take to Microsoft's forum. Thanks.

0 Kudos
BBogd1
Novice

i confirm that there is no override option in 4600's panel, in others dunno, but 4600 is not working...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Woohoo!

It took a while... but the latest driver for Intel HD 4000 has now fixed the Scaling problem.

Version: 15.33.42.4358 (Latest) Date: 1/21/2016

I had to select "Override Application settings" as well as "scale full screen" for it to work (Silent Hunter 3)

It was a long time coming for the fix ... but thanks Intel.

0 Kudos
BBogd1
Novice
0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Let's see if I can break this down for better understanding...

2nd Gen (SNB) Win10

Unfortunately Win10 not supported on SNB from an Intel Gfx driver standpoint - Use at your own risk. Latest drivers for Win7/8.1 should work on Win10, but no fixes will be provided for any issues found. If your system stability/usability is not acceptable it is advised you continue using the OS your platform was designed for.

3rd & 4th Gen (IVB/HSW) - Win8.1/10 via 15.33 - WDDM 1.3

Two issues here: 1 Intel, 1 OS

We resolved the issue that was caused by our driver, then ported it to Win10.

We went even further (through a HUGE investigation and approval process lead by Robert_U and yours truly) and also added an "override scaling' feature in the CUI to work around the OS issue and it should function correctly (this works because it is WDDM 1.3), all the app and game scaling issues should be resolved. Anyone using 15.33, please let me know if it's 'not' working now with latest drivers, but I've seen users confirming it for 15.33. Thanks.

4th, 5th, 6th Gen (HSW/BDW/SKL) - Win10 via 15.40 - WDDM 2.0

Two issues here: 1 Intel, 1 OS

15.33 fix was ported to 15.40 and all app scaling issues should be resolved

But the same 'override scaling' workaround feature did not fix game issues (WDDM 2.0 related), hence requiring changes within the OS.

I'll continue to look into alternatives we can take to work around this, but I'm highlighting here, this is an OS level issue, it's not a simple WA, and it may not be feasible for us to WA so DO NOT set expectations for anything further from us. I'm simply saying I'll see what I can do, not that anything can/will be done. So IF anything comes up I'll update here, otherwise consider this one closed on Intel side.

.:Bryce:.

0 Kudos
BBogd1
Novice

I just installed this:

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen] Version: 15.40.10.64.4300 (Latest) Date: 10/26/2015

and scaling still not working in cs:go (dunno about others games), it stretches my dekstop but not my game:C and no override option....:C

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Yeah, I know. If you read the above it says 15.33 HSW has the override option, then it says 15.40 does not. Apologies, I just don't know how I can say it any more clear. Please reread my previous post, the whole thing. What you're saying here is expected behavior.

4th, 5th, 6th Gen (HSW/BDW/SKL) - Win10 via 15.40 - WDDM 2.0

...this is an OS level issue, it's not a simple WA, and it may not be feasible for us to WA so DO NOT set expectations for anything further from us.

0 Kudos