Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20819 Discussions

8159769 [SCALING BUG] Windows 10 / Intel HD Graphics 4600 - Impossible to get rid of 'Black Borders' problem - Stuck at 'Constrain proportions'

RGras1
Novice

=== Device/Software information ===

32 GB DDR3L-1600 G-Skill RipJaws,

Intel Core i7-4710MQ

Intel HD Graphics 4600

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5

128 GB Samsung SSD (Boot)

1 TB Samsung Evo 850 (Games)

1 TB Hitachi HDD (Data)

Driver Version: 15.40.4.64.4256

OS Version: Windows 10 Educational

=== Problem Description ===

No matter what settings you choose for your display in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel -> Display -> Basic -> Scaling,

When you launch a fullscreen application the setting will be ignored and it will revert back to 'constrain propostions' when enabling fullscreen, then when you alt-tab to desktop it will go back to your selected mode, then you alt tab to game and it will go back to proportions setting again, making it impossible to get rid of the black borders.

The setting only is applicable in Windows 10 Desktop, doesn't work for fullscreen apps.

It worked good in Windows 8.1, I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10.

In windows 8.1 I could game on any resolution without black borders - a nice, full, filled screen.

I think I have the same issue as the sir here:

Please fix this ASAP or suggest steps to fix.

Problem does not happen without drivers (Driverless) -> Games run in full screen / fill screen mode at any resolution (so this is not a Windows bug).

112 Replies
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Okay all, I have some good news to share.. though, there's also some wait time so be prepared.

Remember I said I'd continue to look into alternatives to work around the OS bug? Well, I was successful. The Dev team have found a way to get the Override Scaling feature to work in Win10.

It's going through test right now to make sure it works in all scenarios, and then another round of thorough testing to ensure it doesn't break anything else in the driver. So I'm sure it won't make this quarterly release, but I'm currently targeting the following quarterly release, so target is sometime in Q2'16. Hope this makes your Tuesday like it did mine. Progress!

BBogd1
Novice
0 Kudos
eO
Beginner
0 Kudos
RSilv24
Beginner
0 Kudos
RSilv24
Beginner

any news? is the problem solved?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

No new updates. Still targeting Q2'16.

0 Kudos
ECalv1
Beginner

Any news? Im not sure what Q2'16 exactly means but I think it's in April?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Thanks for asking Manny. I get caught behind business/Intel jargon without realizing it. Q2'16 = 2nd Quarter of this year, which means - targeting [best efforts to release] some time within April through June.

0 Kudos
AIlet
Beginner

So long. The problem was reported in 08/2015. It's already 7 months passed. May be, we as comunity can help to report to microsoft to speedup necessary changes?

0 Kudos
RSilv24
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Solved this by switching my LG TV to "Just scan", with "Ratio" button on the remote control.

0 Kudos
FLege
Beginner

still no update ?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

I'm targeting these fixes for our next release for 1st or 2nd week of June. Currently 1st week is looking good.

• 1080i DX11 flicker - Windows issue workaround - /thread/51304 5554898 Forced 1080i in some DX11 games is causing screen flicker.
  • ARMA3 D3D Error, dxgi_error_device_removed - Game issue workaround - /thread/46821 ArmA 3: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED seems driver related
  • Scaling bug, Windows 10 black boarder in games - Windows workaround - /thread/77746 8159769 [SCALING BUG] Windows 10 / Intel HD Graphics 4600 - Impossible to get rid of 'Black Borders' problem - Stuck at 'Constrain proportions'
0 Kudos
MMaxB
Beginner

I have the opposite problem on Windows 10 with Core i5-4210u Intel HD 4400, driver version "15.40.22.4424".

No matter what scaling option you choose, the games always run stretched to fill the screen up.

Resolution like 1024x768 or 1280x540 had black borders with scaling set to "Maintain Aspect Ratio" on Win 8.1.

0 Kudos
LoneWolf
Novice

@Bryce@intel ,

I have noticed that updates have been provided for scaling issues on desktop Intel processors.

However, there have been no updates for the Intel Pentium N-Series (Braswell-class) processors for scaling or overscan. This affects anyone with the Braswell NUC systems, SFF/USFF PCs using these processors, some Intel Compute Sticks, and anyone with a product using these CPUs. Note the thread I originally posted:

ivanu_intel mentioned that it was known and an eventual fix was planned. However, the drivers for these processors have not been updated since last year. It has been nearly a year for Windows 10 users, and a little less for Windows 7/8.1 users for an iGPU that is largely targeted at systems that would be plugged into a television's HDMI port, precisely the place where scaling and overscan controls are needed. And while desktop processors have received driver updates during that time, this family has languished, and seems as if it has been forgotten.

Can you please give us an update? Supposedly, Apollo Lake will be out in Q3/Q4 of this year, and if this is how the Braswell platform is treated, I have difficulty justifying a purchase of its successor.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

HI LoneWolf15,

BSW uses 15.40 drivers for Win8.1 and Win10. The upcoming Win10 Scaling fix is targeting this week or next and I expect support for BSW to be included. I'd advise you hold till the upcoming driver is released and please retest. Thanks.

0 Kudos
LoneWolf
Novice

Bryce@Intel ,

Will corrected Windows 7/8.1 drivers be out at the same time? I am currently running Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise on my N3700 system.

0 Kudos
KKost3
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have an intel atom Z3735F (Bay Trail) processor and i do not have any ovveride Application Scaling setting,full scale forced application scaling feature.All these settings are missing from intel HD graphics panel.I can't play games on full screen beacuse every time i want to play on a lower resolution (1024x768) the scaling resets from maintain display scaling to center image.Please fix this bug,i have waited months for a solution.My system specs:Windows 10-32 bit with the latest intel hd drivers 15.33.43.44.25

0 Kudos
ECalv1
Beginner

At least tell us what's going on man. We've been waiting for a long time and I think it's been long enough for us to get an update or something of that sort. If there was a setback or something. Tell us as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
VDang2
Beginner

Guys, look above this topic at the sticky announcements. Apparently, 2 hours ago a new Intel graphics driver dropped. I checked the release notes and they mentioned the Windows 10 scaling issues as well.

About to test it. This might finally be it guys!

0 Kudos