Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20601 Discussions

8gb Iris Plus shared with 16gb RAM crashing my games! i7-1065g7

EJohns4
Beginner

Alright I want to know whats going on here?

Games are repeatedly crashing from poor allocation of memory. On one hand, the games say they need 8gb RAM minimum requirement. cool no problem. I got 16, but the game will use more, 8 was just the minimum requirements.

Then Intel goes off and designs the graphics card to take half my total ram, that's 8gb for graphics memory?? Big problem, the game only requires 3gb graphics recommended. And that greedy game is going to grow while using it and use more than 8gb minimum RAM and we all know it. And the Iris graphics? If he sees 8 open he's going to take 8.

operating system, background apps, etc... and now its looking like a big problem with resource management on a 16gb soldered memory laptop.

This is important; they are bumping into each and trying to steal the others resources, running out of room and causing conflicts.

If the Intel Iris Plus could stop hogging all the memory then all the pieces of the puzzle could fit. but sadly I have looked; nowhere have I found a way to throttle down the iris plus graphics, (*which by the way looked fantastic for the uninterrupted 2 minutes).  Can you please write some kind of code that allows the user to pull the plug and set an absolute amount on how much graphics memory can be used by the Iris Plus?

specifics on games: Sword Art Online Alicization Lycoris / Horizon Zero Dawn.

both games have negative ratings on steam and also no compatibility reports with Intel, and furthermore seem to others to have poor management of resources, memory leaks, etc. 

status of the games are "In game+"

EJ

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello EJohns4,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

As you may know, Intel® processor graphics hardware doesn't use a separate memory. Instead, the CPU uses system memory. The graphics driver works along with the operating system to make the best use of system memory.

The memory limit is dependent on non-Intel-controller factors, for example, available system memory, BIOS, Computer design (OEM customizations), or system settings.

I would like to share with you’re the following article. There you can check more information about Intel Graphics Memory on Windows* 10.

There you can check all the games that are fully validated to work with your graphics adapter and the recommended settings for maximum performance.

Additionally, I would like to share with you Intel Gameplay website. In that website you can see all the games that are fully validated and even recommended settings for you graphics adapter.

We would like to thank you for the suggestion and I will route this feedback to the appropriate department so they can take it into consideration.

In the meantime, my recommendation for you would be to check with your operating system developer for further recommendations on this matter.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
EJohns4
Beginner

okay. thank you for hearing me out. your graphics unit has so much potential and there are plenty of laptops without capabilities of upgrading their RAM. I dished out a good amount of money for this laptop with the processor and graphics unit that can run these games. and bought the one with the most memory. I believe in you, Intel. hopefully you can get it together. Find some way of implementing some changes for your flagship ultraslim gpu to get into games.

Esteban_D_Intel

Hello EJohns4,

Once again thank you for your post, we really appreciate your feedback and this was already provided to the appropriate department.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos