Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

RCarl6
New Contributor I

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

[Edit 10/08/18] *This change to unlock the drivers to allow 3rd party apps to function is checked into all branches of drivers, which means all 'latest' drivers are unlocked. The drivers below are simply the first driver in each branch that were unlocked. Please download the latest driver for your platform, or you can use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html iDSA to automatically detect what driver updates are available for your system.

Happy Friday/Saturday all,

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
269 Replies
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Yes, it's currently in the debug queue awaiting an engineer with bandwidth to be assigned, this can take time. No new update to share yet. I provided the bug# in the title for tracking. I'll update back when I get more information from my debug team.

0 Kudos
RCarl6
New Contributor I

Will the fix include Ivy Bridge (HD 4000) or older or is it limited to Haswell and newer?

0 Kudos
KS_
New Contributor I

Hello,

Does that mean that LCD refresh rates will be able to be set over 60 (so they can match LCD manufacturer specs, instead of an arbitrary number - 60)? I really can't stress how important this is to so many people and I remain hopeful that one day this will be possible and Intel will know how important this is to so many people.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

I only saw data suggesting HSW+, so if you're saying IVB is failing as well I'll include this datapoint in the record. Not to get ahead of ourselves though, we have to see if it's our bug or not and go from there.

0 Kudos
RCarl6
New Contributor I

Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge also has a broken custom resolution for built in display and would display the same error message "the custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" which doesn't make any sense especially if you test a less bandwidth intensive setting (like lower resolution or lower refresh rate or both).

NVIDIA has the custom resolution for built-in display working for a few years now and even have advance timing option such as Automatic, GTF, DMT, CVT, CVT reduced blank and manual.

0 Kudos
ZSaun
Novice

Both ivy and sandy are broken on my end as well, and the two laptops that only have nvidia graphics also work with custom resolutions, it's only the laptops with intel gpus that do not.

0 Kudos
KS_
New Contributor I

Hello everybody,

I would absolutely love for this feature to be fixed. There is virtually no reason to not have this feature built in and working, and this would be an astronomical breakthrough if the custom resolution/refresh rate utility was fixed.

Please, Intel, know how many people want this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

idata
Employee

I see a few threads on this have been posted before. Many of the laptops deal with Switchable Graphics and there can be issues related to mode switching. Alternately, OEM's can customize the vBIOS or drivers to limit resolutions/bitrate either to fix/prevent issues. On my Intel HD Graphics 4600 powered Optimus laptop, I don't use custom resolutions, but I can't scale games to get rid of black bars for the life of me due to an issue that hasn't even really been confirmed as an ACTUAL issue yet.

Thanks

http://www.faqtory.co/sky/ customer services

HBela
New Contributor I

Hello!

I have a Clevo W650SJ notebook and I also face the same issues. (I have at least 3 friends w/ the same notebook models and they all confirmed this)

i7 4710MQ, GTX 850M and an IPS Display connected via eDP capable of 90+Hz.

I can confirm Windows 10 sets my resolution to 1920x1080@64Hz when Intel HD Graphics Display is uninstalled, opposing the 1920x1080@40/60Hz forced by Intel drivers.

I also confirmed the display is capable of 90Hz using Ubuntu, but couldn't test it to have proofs, so I tested it on OS X Yosemite (10.10.5) at different refresh rates (1080p). I know it's not officially supported, but it was just for the display max refresh rate testing purposes. It worked flawlessly.

By my understanding, Intel drivers read the EDID from the monitor and doesn't allow the resolution/refresh rates to be changed to something not present in this EDID.

NVIDIA and AMD support EDID override, but Intel doesn't (and also doesn't provide us a way to set custom resolutions properly).

Here are some screenshots as proof:

PS: This last screenshot is my display running 1440p@60Hz, what is clearly above the forced bandwidth in Intel Control Panel under Windows.

PS²: I couldn't find the 90Hz screenshot.

PS³: I managed to get the same refresh rates under Linux, but ufotest doesn't support it to confirm if everything is working.

Here, the first screenshot is my external display connected via HDMI while the second one is the internal display from my notebook connected via eDP in a HM86 chipset using Optimus.

And here, is the display refresh rate when the Intel driver is installed (60Hz) and when it is not (64Hz)

Hope this issue gets fixed as soon as possible, as it seems to be hitting A LOT of users out there, probably all (?) those who have Optimus in their notebooks where all video output is tied to the Intel HD Graphics card.

HBela
New Contributor I

Any news from Intel about the fix?

HBela
New Contributor I

There is another thread looking for EDID Override in Intel HD Graphics.

You guys can check it out here:

It seems to be way ahead from ours. Via EDID Override, we would be possible to use software like CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) and set our display to whatever we want it to do.

AMoha27
Novice

Joined just to say I hope this gets implemented very soon.

Seriously Intel.

Bryce__Intel
Employee

I'm see good traction on this issue, investigation is continuing. I'll keep updating as new information is available.

0 Kudos
EP
New Contributor I

Bryce, I know you've said you're working on this, and you're saying this issue is gaining traction but many users here would love to hear some sort of timeline as to when this issue will be resolved. I just made an account on this website specifically for this issue. There is no reason that in 2016 the Intel drivers should be limiting users from creating custom resolutions. Many other laptop manufacturers are releasing laptops with identical screens, however they contain a MUX to bypass the intel graphics and run fully on dedicated cards and allow via Nvidia to create custom resolutions, including running their displays at higher refresh rates. 60hz is very low, especially for users that also have desktops at home with refresh rates well over 100 or even 144hz.

As I said already, the same exact laptop screen is being used and sold at higher refresh rates, and the only limiting factor for many end users is Intel blocking this ability. This isn't some engineering marvel or something that should take very long to implement, and to be frank many users are seriously frustrated with Intel. We've had this issue for years, and there simply is no excuse for it anymore. It is definitely something that could be fixed very quickly with a new or beta driver release.

Looking around on google, and searching intel custom resolutions and refresh rates shows just how many threads there are on this issues, dating back many years. Please Intel, fix this issue ASAP!

Thank you.

idata
Employee

So how far away are we?

Do you understand that there are thousands of users out there who can't use some of their monitors because of this bug?

We are just a few lucky ones who managed to use Google adequately enough to find some _vague_ sense of hope that this will be fixed.

There is a 27" monitor sat on my desk useless because of this bug.

Could you please just be more transparent, because this is extremely frustrating.

Monopolies are just the worst. I hope AMD get their feces together with Zen.

idata
Employee

UPDATE: Still no response from any staff here on asking for a workaround.

UPDATE: Code below may work better on Ubuntu 12.04, I forgot that in this process I had to compile something and this might be tricky for typical users)

I booted up Ubuntu 15.10 from a USB stick. (On Windows, use the tool Rufus for writing an ISO to a USB stick)

After 20 minutes, I got my monitor display 2560x1440@60hz over HDMI without issues:

$: cvt -r 2560 1440 60

... (copy result)

$: xrandr --newmode "2560x1440R" 241.50 2560 2608 2640 2720 1440 1443 1448 1481 +hsync -vsync

xrandr: Output HDMI1 is not disconnected but has no modes

$: xrandr --addmode HDMI1 "2560x1440R"

xrandr: Output HDMI1 is not disconnected but has no modes

$: xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 2560x1440R

So, Bryce@Intel, given that the issue with custom resolutions (in Windows) seems to be incorrectly detecting available display bandwidth, can you please ask your engineers if there is a way to add a custom resolution by commandline or rundll32 etc?

There must be a way to add a custom resolution without the app getting in the way.

This would at least get us up and running before the software is fixed.

Phil

Tbrus
Beginner

About to buy a lenovo ideapad y700. i can get it with amd cpu, or the i7 6700hq. i'd love to pick the i7. But i'd need to know if this will get fixed soon.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do you really have any choice? I mean, if Intel had any competition in the midrange+ laptops (where's AMD?), we'd probably have DECENT DRIVERS ON WINDOWS.

0 Kudos
MMT
Beginner

DId you try the oldest possible HD driver yourself? Perhaps I should.

I Could try on Linux just to verify if it works but that pretty its pretty pointless as I require the resolution in Windows.

Yes I've also tried EDID override in .inf and registry, no dice.

When I try with CRU (Custom resolution tool) it appears the resolution is not even tested in the first place.

0 Kudos
AScis1
New Contributor I

Still nothing? We are tired of waiting for this bug to be fixed!

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

No positive news yet. Firstly I'm still driving this for external flat panels (EFP), I agree custom resolutions should be functional this way.

Secondly, the developers responded, it is expected behavior that custom resolutions should not work for internal panels such as laptop or All-in-One screens since doing so could push the panel beyond it's capabilities and in some cases even damage the screen. Does anyone have a scenario that requires justification for internal panels? Or is the plight here just for EFP's? I'll keep the iron in the fire for EFP's.