Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor I

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

Jump to solution

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

269 Replies
New Contributor I

Hello!

I have a Clevo W650SJ notebook and I also face the same issues. (I have at least 3 friends w/ the same notebook models and they all confirmed this)

i7 4710MQ, GTX 850M and an IPS Display connected via eDP capable of 90+Hz.

I can confirm Windows 10 sets my resolution to 1920x1080@64Hz when Intel HD Graphics Display is uninstalled, opposing the 1920x1080@40/60Hz forced by Intel drivers.

I also confirmed the display is capable of 90Hz using Ubuntu, but couldn't test it to have proofs, so I tested it on OS X Yosemite (10.10.5) at different refresh rates (1080p). I know it's not officially supported, but it was just for the display max refresh rate testing purposes. It worked flawlessly.

By my understanding, Intel drivers read the EDID from the monitor and doesn't allow the resolution/refresh rates to be changed to something not present in this EDID.

NVIDIA and AMD support EDID override, but Intel doesn't (and also doesn't provide us a way to set custom resolutions properly).

Here are some screenshots as proof:

PS: This last screenshot is my display running 1440p@60Hz, what is clearly above the forced bandwidth in Intel Control Panel under Windows.

PS²: I couldn't find the 90Hz screenshot.

PS³: I managed to get the same refresh rates under Linux, but ufotest doesn't support it to confirm if everything is working.

Here, the first screenshot is my external display connected via HDMI while the second one is the internal display from my notebook connected via eDP in a HM86 chipset using Optimus.

And here, is the display refresh rate when the Intel driver is installed (60Hz) and when it is not (64Hz)

Hope this issue gets fixed as soon as possible, as it seems to be hitting A LOT of users out there, probably all (?) those who have Optimus in their notebooks where all video output is tied to the Intel HD Graphics card.

New Contributor I

the display resolution can be changed in the Registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\UnitedVideo\CONTROL\VIDEO

at boot the driver performs a number of checks Latency Checks ,Estimate Display Bandwidth, Estimate Base Platform Bandwidth and Estimate Video Bandwidth

setting a resolution higher than the Bandwidth the GPU supports will cause the driver to revert to the default resolution

when the Intel driver detects an Nvidia or AMD GPU it enables the dedicated GPU to perform all the rendering and use the Intel GPU just to push the image to be displayed https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn265501%28v=vs.85%29.aspx Rendering on a discrete GPU using cross-adapter resources (Windows Drivers)

there are also additional settings that can be found here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video

0 Kudos
Community Manager

So is this the way, right now, that i can change to a higher resolution on my optimus laptop and the refresh rate too? Have you tried it?

0 Kudos
New Contributor I

That, at least for me, didn't work.

And even if it worked, the method is way too difficult just to get a custom resolution to the final consumer.

0 Kudos
New Contributor I

you have to restart the video driver for the changes to take effect however if the resolution displays bandwith error then the driver wont allow that resolution to be used

this application does simplify the setting of custom resolution

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Doesnt work, and cru doesn't work for intel graphics as specified by the cru creator

0 Kudos
New Contributor I

Neither of those two things you said work, hundreds of people are saying they don't work and I am too.

0 Kudos
New Contributor I

Any news from Intel about the fix?

New Contributor I

There is another thread looking for EDID Override in Intel HD Graphics.

You guys can check it out here:

It seems to be way ahead from ours. Via EDID Override, we would be possible to use software like CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) and set our display to whatever we want it to do.

Novice

Joined just to say I hope this gets implemented very soon.

Seriously Intel.

Employee

I'm see good traction on this issue, investigation is continuing. I'll keep updating as new information is available.

0 Kudos
New Contributor I

Bryce, I know you've said you're working on this, and you're saying this issue is gaining traction but many users here would love to hear some sort of timeline as to when this issue will be resolved. I just made an account on this website specifically for this issue. There is no reason that in 2016 the Intel drivers should be limiting users from creating custom resolutions. Many other laptop manufacturers are releasing laptops with identical screens, however they contain a MUX to bypass the intel graphics and run fully on dedicated cards and allow via Nvidia to create custom resolutions, including running their displays at higher refresh rates. 60hz is very low, especially for users that also have desktops at home with refresh rates well over 100 or even 144hz.

As I said already, the same exact laptop screen is being used and sold at higher refresh rates, and the only limiting factor for many end users is Intel blocking this ability. This isn't some engineering marvel or something that should take very long to implement, and to be frank many users are seriously frustrated with Intel. We've had this issue for years, and there simply is no excuse for it anymore. It is definitely something that could be fixed very quickly with a new or beta driver release.

Looking around on google, and searching intel custom resolutions and refresh rates shows just how many threads there are on this issues, dating back many years. Please Intel, fix this issue ASAP!

Thank you.

Beginner

About to buy a lenovo ideapad y700. i can get it with amd cpu, or the i7 6700hq. i'd love to pick the i7. But i'd need to know if this will get fixed soon.

0 Kudos
New Contributor I

Still nothing? We are tired of waiting for this bug to be fixed!

0 Kudos
Community Manager

So how far away are we?

Do you understand that there are thousands of users out there who can't use some of their monitors because of this bug?

We are just a few lucky ones who managed to use Google adequately enough to find some _vague_ sense of hope that this will be fixed.

There is a 27" monitor sat on my desk useless because of this bug.

Could you please just be more transparent, because this is extremely frustrating.

Monopolies are just the worst. I hope AMD get their feces together with Zen.

Community Manager

UPDATE: Still no response from any staff here on asking for a workaround.

UPDATE: Code below may work better on Ubuntu 12.04, I forgot that in this process I had to compile something and this might be tricky for typical users)

I booted up Ubuntu 15.10 from a USB stick. (On Windows, use the tool Rufus for writing an ISO to a USB stick)

After 20 minutes, I got my monitor display 2560x1440@60hz over HDMI without issues:

$: cvt -r 2560 1440 60

... (copy result)

$: xrandr --newmode "2560x1440R" 241.50 2560 2608 2640 2720 1440 1443 1448 1481 +hsync -vsync

xrandr: Output HDMI1 is not disconnected but has no modes

$: xrandr --addmode HDMI1 "2560x1440R"

xrandr: Output HDMI1 is not disconnected but has no modes

$: xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 2560x1440R

So, Bryce@Intel, given that the issue with custom resolutions (in Windows) seems to be incorrectly detecting available display bandwidth, can you please ask your engineers if there is a way to add a custom resolution by commandline or rundll32 etc?

There must be a way to add a custom resolution without the app getting in the way.

This would at least get us up and running before the software is fixed.

Phil

Employee

Hi all,

No positive news yet. Firstly I'm still driving this for external flat panels (EFP), I agree custom resolutions should be functional this way.

Secondly, the developers responded, it is expected behavior that custom resolutions should not work for internal panels such as laptop or All-in-One screens since doing so could push the panel beyond it's capabilities and in some cases even damage the screen. Does anyone have a scenario that requires justification for internal panels? Or is the plight here just for EFP's? I'll keep the iron in the fire for EFP's.

New Contributor I

Personally speaking, I have a super powerful gaming laptop: custom resolution will allow me to make games engines render more details on my 1080p screen. That's more than enough as reason to have custom resolution IMHO. My panel's electronics can also go up to 75hz without having problems, but I guess I wouldn't do it anyway. Just make a disclaimer before activating the override like Nvidia does, but please give us back freedom of choice. Thanks for answering us

Beginner

exactly agreed 100%. Come on Intel, let us do what we want it's our business if we damage something.

0 Kudos
New Contributor I

It's all about freedom of choice. For those who experienced higher refresh rates, being stuck to 40/60Hz in a powerful gaming notebook, as 'oile' said above, is just terrifying.

And there's the fact that my internal panel, forced to 1080p/60Hz, is the same one used in lower resolutions (1366x768) for 120Hz and also 3D in other specific notebooks, and this is something I'd really like to be able to achieve. Plus, my Matte IPS internal has a really beautiful image and wonderful color precision, something I can't find even in modern external monitors, so I need to choose between my internal's portability+great image without refresh rates natively achieved in other notebooks OR an common external monitor connected to the notebook just to be able to achieve 75Hz in 1080p or even lower resolutions, such as 720p (resolutions my internal is still locked to 40/60Hz)