Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

A770, Multi-Monitor issue recognizing 3 Monitors

RC3
New Contributor I

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

This is an intermittent issue, where 1 or 2 of my 3 monitors will not show the desktop upon booting windows. All 3 monitors are directly connected to A770 via DP to DP. The monitors are 1x Dell UW and 2x Phillips 4k (4k monitors are scaled at 150%). Only the Phillips monitors that seem to be affected.

The monitors are recognized by the System -> Display, but instead of being in the proper orientation, I just get a small square where I am sometimes successful at having “Extend the Desktop to this Display” engage the monitor and work properly (I mocked up an image for you to see what it looks like vs how it is supposed to be: attached). 

After several reboot attempts, I will get lucky and all 3 monitors will be recognized, but it is not consistent.  Prior to installing the A770, I had an RX570 that handled all three monitors without issue (same cables and setup).

If the machine is running, I can sometimes unplug/replug the DP into the card and it will work - but again, it is inconsistent and most of the time will not work.  

I have reseated the card and reattached the power cables and DP cables. I have also tried other DP cables without luck.

I have rolled back drivers without success and now I am back on 4146 with a clean install and a fresh install of Windows 11, 10.0.22621. BIOS on the motherboard is also updated.   

My system has a new Seasonic Vertex (atx 3.0) 1000W power supply, so power should not be an issue for the system. 

Trying different non-native resolutions does not appear to help the issue.

Despite my SSU_Ouput saying that my machine is running in “Legacy Mode”.  I have double checked my system information and confirmed that the BIOS mode is UEFI (screenshot attached). 

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Custom, AMD 5800x3d, Asus x470-pro

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

DELL U3417W, PHL 288E2, PHL 288E2

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Cables Used (I’ve tried both 6 and 10ft lengths):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FBH4H9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

NA

Software (SW)

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

NA

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

NA

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

3840x2160 (Phillips) 2x
3440x1440 (Dell)

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue. These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

n.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RC3
New Contributor I

What has been consistent is the Display Port furthest away from the HDMI connector always will turn on the monitor (either the Dell or Philips).

After over 150 reboots over the past 30 days (I did keep a log of all of the reboots, but rounded the numbers due to the small sample size 😞

15% -  of the time, all 3 monitors would work.

45%  - 2 monitors would not work

30% -  the first and middle DisplayPorts would work

10% -  the first and last DisplayPorts would work

Plugging in only two monitors did not seem to really change the underlying stats (often times only 1 monitor was recognized)

Unfortunately, given my reliance on multiple monitors to do my job and the havoc the driver was causing to my audio, I had to return the card. I thought I could limp along until new drivers came about, but I had a couple days where It just would not recognize the monitors. I even went as far as getting a newer motherboard and did a fresh install of windows hoping that might resolve the issue, without any luck. 

Best, RC3

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
iJotamax
Beginner

hi Guys,

Thanks for reply my messages to everyone, but I have finally solved my problem, as I said before I am using DVI to DP adapters and it seems that it only works well with DVI dual link cable so I replaced the cables with DVI dual Link and finally I had all 3 screens working.

2 monitors connected to DP and 1 monitor connected to HDMI and now they are working good.

regards.

0 Kudos