Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Acer C720 eDP Display Detection issue Windows 8.1/10 Intel HD Graphics

JSant23
Beginner

I have been having issues with the Intel HD Graphics driver not detecting the eDP Display properly on the Acer C720 with Windows 8.1/10.

With the Microsoft Basic Display Driver (no Intel HD Graphics Driver installed) the system works perfectly with both eDP and HDMI outputs working. However, when the Intel HD Graphics driver (any version) is installed the eDP stops working. When both eDP and HDMI out are connected, there's lines on both screens. With eDP disconnected and HDMI out connected, the HDMI display works perfectly, indicating it is not a problem with the BIOS but is rather an eDP display detection issue with the Intel HD Graphics Driver.

One thing that I noticed was interesting was that when the Windows 8.1 driver (version 10.18.10.4226) is installed, and Intel HD Graphics is disabled and enabled again from device manager, the eDP turns on and both eDP and HDMI out work perfectly with graphics acceleration until the device is rebooted. this means that it's a detection issue with Intel HD Graphics on the first boot.

In Linux, i915 is able to run both displays properly, it is Windows that has the issue except with the combination of the Windows 8.1 driver and the disable/re-enable workaround. CoolStar wish he could've fixed the driver himself but it's closed source so unfortunately that's not an option 😕 (CoolStar have experience with writing Windows drivers and have done so to get the other parts of this system working)

CoolStar have looked through all the intel documentation and fixed up the coreboot bios and checked the options set in the video bios (version 2170 HSW) and it seems fine and the display does work properly until the Intel HD Graphics driver is loaded.

I have attached the relevant diagnostic information from the Intel HD Graphics although the Intel HD Graphics report is in the "working state" with the older driver + workaround as the control panel crashes when the driver can't detect a monitor connected.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

Black Screen After Graphics Driver Installed and after reboot. Fails to turn on display 100% of the time.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Acer C720

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No. Integrated only.

<p s...
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information. I will test this matter and as soon as I get any information I will update this thread.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JSant23
Beginner
0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

any update? This issue happens on all Acer C720 models. I've seen this same issue on 3 different C720 models (C720-2103, C720P-2848, C720P-2625) with both the Celeron 2955U and Celeron 2957U.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have been running test on this matter with different hardware but I still trying to replicate the issue you have reported so far. I'll update this thread with further details if I find anything during testing.

Allan.

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

If it can help with debugging the issue, I am willing to provide remote access to one of my Acer C720's so you can see the issue. This issue happens on all C720/C720P's consistently.

0 Kudos
JSant23
Beginner

Any update? CoolStar is willing to provide remote access to one of his Acer C720 laptop to make it easier for you. There's a lot of people waiting like us for a long time for a permanent fix for this issue.

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

I have tested on another Acer C720 which has a Core i3 4005U with Intel HD 4400 Graphics. It also has this same eDP issue under Windows, with the same workaround on the older driver working. This is clearly an issue with the newer drivers and is not a hardware issue.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I understand coolstar would like to provide access remotely but I cannot remote in from my end. I would suggest to wait for newer drivers on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx Intel® Download Center

Allan.

0 Kudos
PSaha1
Novice

any update regarding this? This issue is affecting both my C720 with Core i3 + Intel HD 4400 Graphics and my C720 with Celeron 2955U.

0 Kudos