Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

After updating to latest generic graphic drivers, after starting the laptop from hibernation, I only get black desktop or flashing color screens

GLópe
Beginner

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file (using the paperclip under the toolbar).

Doc

W10 2004, W10 May 2020, W10 20H1, W10 19041 - A rose, by any other name, still smells.

0 Kudos
GLópe
Beginner

See attached text file. It has been obtained after a fresh W10 start. Let me know if you need it after hibernation restart, although it can be very difficult due to the lack of desktop accessibility

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GLópe

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that we are checking this behavior. Please allow us to test this in our lab and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GLópe

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We would like to update this thread and inform you that we have checked this behavior and we tested the Intel® Graphics driver package version: 27.20.100.8280 and we were not able to reproduce the issue.

We did not experience issues starting the system from the Hibernate state.

We tested both options regarding how the system goes to the Hibernate state:

Option 1:

Sent the PC to hibernate from Windows 10 Start icon >> Power Hibernate. Also from Windows logo key + X on your keyboard, >> Shut down or sign out > Hibernate.

Option 2:

We wait and let the system go itself (automatically) to the Hibernate state based on the configured value (waiting time) in Windows® Settings  System  Power & sleep  > Additional power settings > Change plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > Sleep Hibernate after.

In both tests, the system goes and returns from the Hibernate state with no issues at all at the correct times. No "black desktop or flashing color screens" issues were shown, and no other display/screen issues were shown in the process.

This is the hardware and software we used in the lab:

• Intel® Core™ i5-9600K Processor with Intel® UHD Graphics 630.
  • Intel® Graphics driver package version 27.20.100.8280.
  • We tested using only Intel® integrated graphics in the system, no dual graphics, no discrete/external graphics.
  • Windows* 10 Home Version: "10.0.18363 Build 18363" with latest updates.

We provide generic drivers for general purposes. Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM).

In this case, based on the lab outcomes and considering the latest customized driver from your laptop manufacturer website* is version 26.20.100.7926 Rev.B, and also since you have a laptop with Hybrid graphics in which we strongly recommend using only Customized OEM drivers, we recommend reporting the issue directly to your laptop manufacturer HP* (OEM) so they can release a customized version of our latest generic driver and assist you to check this behavior further.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
GLópe
Beginner

Hi!

Based on your answer I tried to install the driver version 26.20.100.7926 Rev.B from HP but it did not help. Then I restored a full backup I had from the initial clean installation in late January. The driver that Windows Update installed at that time was 26.20.100.7463. With that version the problem did not show up, but as soon as I updated to a newer version, either from HP o from Intel, the problem appeared again.

Finally I realized that the problem was somehow a corruption in the initial installation, so I started a clean installation all over again. Now it seems to work fine with any version, including the latest from Intel 27.20.100.8280

Thanks for your help and I apologize for wasting your time.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GLópe

Thank you very much for your response and for the feedback provided.

We are glad to know that the issue is now solved after trying a clean installation. It has been a pleasure to assist you with this inquiry. Since it seems to work fine now, we will proceed to close this thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos