Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20707 Discussions

Arc A770 High Brightness After Start and DP Monitor Not posting

miyagi90
New Contributor I

Hey There i have two Problems.

First: For a few days now my Brightness controls are buggy.
After starting up it gets really bright (without hinting so in the intel graphic control room) and i have to manually adjust it in the Intel Graphic Control Room.  AFTER.EVERY.STARTUP!

Im quite conviced its a bug of the new driver im Currently on 31.0.101.4575.

Also a former Problem i had came back worse than before.

I made a post about it (Tl;DR Display connected via DP isn´t posting after starting up the pc until i restart the pc and reseat the DP cable) a few months ago and it didn´t really happen but now i have to reseat the cable every time.

I use a powerplug with a switch and turn it off every night but i will try to leave it on and see if it happens when the PC´s isnt completely powerless.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

miyagi90, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We are sorry to hear about this issue and we will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. We will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

When did you purchase the Intel® ARC card?

What is the model of the monitor?

What is the model of the motherboard?

Did you build the PC?

Did the Intel® card ever work fine without showing the Brightness controls and the DP port posting problems?

If yes, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
miyagi90
New Contributor I

Hey Alberto,

I card on the 25th of feburary.

The display´s i use are:

HDMI Display is a Dell P2422H running on 60 Hertz

The DP Display is a Asus VG248 running on 144 Hertz.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO with the latest Bios.

Yes i build the PC myself but it worked without a problem with a Nvida card and has overall  no stability issues.

The Card worked Fine"ish". It performs good and i don´t have any Crashes or BSOD´s anymore with the New drivers. But in the beginning the drivers weren´t that good now it ages like fine whine.

The Brightness problem started with the new driver im currently using(31.0.101.4575.).

The DP not posting is consistent for about...hmm 2 or 3 weeks i guess. I had this issue before but only after the PC had crashed/bsod´d or i installed a new driver. THIS DOESN`T HAPPEN WITH THE GENERIC DRIVERS FROM WINDOWS!

Other than that im not aware of a software change. I will check if there was a bigger windows update i made in the past 3 weeks.

The PC is used in a home environment. 

I atached the file you requested 🙂 

Have a great day 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hey miyagi90, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Based on the information shown in the SSU, the graphics driver, as you mentioned, currently installed on your computer is 31.0.101.4575.

Just to let you know, there is a newer graphics driver available on our website, version 31.0.101.4577. Please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions on the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/726609/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-whql-windows.html?wapkw=a770%2520graphics

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Additionally, even though you mentioned that you already tried to manually adjust the brightness, since you have to do that after every start-up, here you have some steps to attempt that might be useful and helpful for you in order to try to fix this problem:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058292/graphics.html

By any chance, did you try to test the PC with a different DP cable?

Are you using adapters or converters to connect the monitors?

Just to confirm, the brightness issue happens while doing a specific task or it happens all the time at Operating System level?

Besides installing the Windows* updates, we also recommend to get in contact with Gigabyte Support to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your machine or, if necessary, to gather the instructions on how to install it:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Support

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results of trying the suggestions above.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
miyagi90
New Contributor I

Hey Alberto,

I will do the driver Check up on saturday or so because i don´t really use the pc on weekdays.

I didn´t check other cables but i will do that too.

It happens right after logging into windows after a start up.

I will try a clean install of the drivers AND the controll room and see if that helps.

Sorry for taking a while to answer but im verry busy with work and only really have the weekends.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi miyagi90, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Perfect, no problem at all, take your time to do the tests and once you get the chance, please let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
miyagi90
New Contributor I

Hey Alberto so installing the new drivers and reinstalling Intel Graphics Control room didn´t help.

Also there wasn´t any major windows update i installed.

I did the the latest bios update but it didn´t help.

However i updated everything i could, reinstalled everything and reseated the cable but nothing helps.

Im an IT-Technician and bought this card because i wanted to support intel because we need a 3rd player and i knew i could work my way around things but having to reseat the cables everytime i start or restart my computer and adjusting the brightness is really making me think...

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello miyagi90

Thank you for that information.

We will check the issue internally, as soon as we have any update we will let you know.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
miyagi90
New Contributor I

Hey Jose,

I may have some new infos.

So as i said i had flashed the latest bios BUT that got me in a lot of trouble on of them being that rebar would not be active even though it was selected BUT² the second screen was posting instantly.

I flashed back to my former version made my bios settings and after that atleast the second screen issue didn´t happen when i started the computer.

So im assuming there might be some issue with Rebar.

I will try to test a few things but after spending about 3 hours just to make my system stable again i will wait with that a bit.

I hope you guys have a great weekend and thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello miyagi90

Thank you for providing your findings.

How did the system perform? Do you have new updates?

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
miyagi90
New Contributor I

Hey Jose 🙂

So the Brightness thing is still an Issue but the Second Screen Problem didn´t happen again.
I will try to make a real test on Saturday where i will deactivate rebar and activate it.

Its stable and i can use it there´s no real issue RIGHT NOW other than the brightness being weird. 

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello miyagi90

I am glad to hear that now your system is stable.

Let's keep trying to resolve the brightness issue by installing the latest Beta version 31.0.101.4578. Please use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) before you install the driver.

I will wait for your updates.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
miyagi90
New Contributor I

Hey Jose,

well not only did the new driver not help, it brought back the display not posting anything issue but this time all i have to do is to restart the pc after booting it, so i don´t have to crawl under the desk to unplug the cable which is nice but this happens with the old driver now too.

Its like the card is rolling a dice how it will behave today.
I don´t get how whats happening here.
The drivers significantly boosted the performance of the card but the stability and usibility went down over the past few months.

I think i will leave the pc as it is right now for the next few driver´s and hope it´ll be fixed within the next month´s 😕
To be clear im still convinced we need intel in the gpu market and will  probably buy a high end Intel card when it comes
but right now im pretty unhappy because it feels like we´re Beta testing 350 piece of technology 😞

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello miyagi90,

Thank you for your response it has been really helpful.

I understand how frustrating this can be for you, for that reason, I will start an investigation of the issue and as soon I have further information I will let you know.

Regards,

Andres P.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello miyagi90,

Thank you for your time.

Please answer the following questions, I understand that some of them have been answered previously, but let's respond them below for clarification:

• The issue with the second monitor not posting immediately was fixed after a BIOS update, and rolling back to the previous BIOS version. This issue came back when testing 101.4578 is that correct? If so, what happens if we roll back to 31.0.101.4577? Is the issue still present?
  • With the BIOS issue encounter did you happen to contact the motherboard manufacturer to make sure what was happening, wasn't it only that the motherboard returned to default and needed basic configuration or settings were moved to different menus?
  • The brightness issue was present since day one or was this introduced after an update?
  • Have other cables been tested?
  • Did you try using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)? I see it recommended previously but it was never confirmed.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
miyagi90
New Contributor I

Hello Andres,

The Display issue seems to be "fixed" with rolling back to 4577.

The Bios Update brought a lot of trouble with it and the REBAR Options seems to be bugged as no matter what i do, the arc control room will tell rebar is off. Also it changed tpm settings which led to me not being able to log into windows because it locked my hard drive -.-
I havent heard back from Gigabyte yet.

Right now my goto if i encounter REBAR issues is to reset all BIOS settings to default and manually enabling REBAR. 

Tinkering with the REBAR option however showed that the DP not posting issues seems to be connected with that, as it will happen when its deactivated but here is where it gets weird : with 4578 it was the other way around.

With 4577 the issue only happend when REBAR was ON!

The Brightness issue happened with Update 4577. 

I haven´t Tested Different Cables because i didn´t have one i just bought some and will test it.

You´re right i never confirmed i used DDU but i always. Sorry for that misunderstanding.
When i test a new driver i do these steps:

1. Restart into Safe Mode
  2. Deinstall everything connected to Intel GPU with DDU
  3. Restart into Normal Mode
  4. Install the new Drivers
  5. Install Intel Graphics Control Room (is it even called that in english?)

kind regards

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello miyagi90,

Thank you for the clarification, it has been really helpful.

I will wait for you to test it using other cables, if the issue persists please follow the steps below:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello miyagi90,

Were you able to update the driver to version 31.0.101.4644?   

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello miyagi90,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P.   

0 Kudos