Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Arc Control Studio Capture error

texen
Beginner

Have a i5-13600K running win 11 v22h2.

I updated to driver 3959 and Arc Control came along and tried to do Studio/Capture but when I start the Capture it gives an error code -17. It complains that I cannot be connected to a VPN. Why should that matter?

I have Nordvpn installed but not currently connected.

Not a good start...

0 Kudos
21 Replies
texen
Beginner

Hello Earth to Intel.. are not Arc Control and i5-13600K your products ?..

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen,  

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support for graphics.  

We are sorry to hear you experience Arc control Studio/capture problems after updating the driver 3959. We are glad to assist.  

Let us gather the entire information about the problem in order to provide a possible solution.  

Can you provide error screenshots/a video showing the computer problem. Step by step for reproduction.

What is the application /game showing thecomputer problem. 

What steps did you complete as possible fixes? 

Please perform a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows, follow the instructions from the link (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html) or through the installer.

This download installs Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.3959 for Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics. View download options. Version: 31.0.101.3959

To see the system environment which this problem undergoes, please download, run and reply back attaching the .txt file

of the tool Intel® System Support  (For download go the link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?product=91600 ).  

Thank you for choosing Intel. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
texen
Beginner

Ok did a fresh install..no change.

Attaching video of error and ssu output..

Well I was going to attach video but your forum claims I do not have permission to do so..

So a couple of pics will have to do.

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen,

Upon checking the available drivers for Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770, the validated driver should be

Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Drivers Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.3790/31.0.101.2114 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

Intel® Graphics - BETA Windows* DCH Drivers Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.3616/31.0.101.2111 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19387/intel-graphics-beta-windows-dch-drivers.html

Please test either one and provide an update wether the problem is presented anymore.

Best regards,

Luis A.

0 Kudos
texen
Beginner

I am a little confused.  Driver 3950 was the driver that DSA installed and it is a December driver.

What you are suggesting is an October driver. Do you have any specific reason to believe the October driver will work better than the December one?

0 Kudos
texen
Beginner

Besides this seems to be an ARC Control/Studio problem. As in my first post why would this software require a non-vpn internet connection to run a screen video capture?

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen, 

This download installs Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.3959 for Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/726609/intel-arc-graphics-windows-dch-driver.html

Therefore we recommend clean installing the validated version for your Intel® UHD Graphics 770. You may upload the video to a cloud service and provide the link for visibility. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
texen
Beginner

I don't think we are on the same page here.. On Dec 14 I posted a pic of the 3959 driver installed on my system as recognized by ARC Control. I also posted a pic of the ARC Control/Studio/Capture error (see lower right corner) where ARC Control says to make sure I am not connected to a VPN Error -17. Although I have NordVPN installed I am not connected .. so why am I getting this error.. and why should me being connected to a VPN be a problem when doing a screen capture?

Also you should be aware when I do a clean driver install Windows 11 will come along later and update it to an older driver. This caused me to install the 3959 driver 3 times.. see

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056993/graphics.html

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen, 

Thank you for the information, let me check this internally for investigation. 

Best regards,

Luis A.

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen, thank you for waiting. We replicated an environment (i7-13700K, updated to driver 3959) with the concerned driver and graphics, and did not experience a problem. 

Try resetting NordVPN to default settings or even reinstalling NordVPN and test again. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
texen
Beginner

Ok I did a full uninstall of NordVPN and rebooted and tried ARC Control/Studio/Capture and still have the same error..

It is an odd error .. why would ARC Control care if I am connected to a VPN to do a desktop video capture. The developers should check under what circumstances this error is thrown .. maybe its not necessarily only caused by a VPN connection check but some other factor.

And if it is only about not having a VPN connection why is the check even made? It would seem to indicate Intel is interested in tracking users IP address .. not a good feature..

BTW assuming that that program did work does it encode using the UHD 770 iGPU encoder or is just a straight cpu software encode?

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen, 

Thank you for the update. I will check this further. 

About encode/decoding capabilities for graphics controllers. I've got this information available Does My Intel Graphics Support Encoding and Decoding?

Please check section Processor Graphics for your Intel® Core™ i7-13700K Processor https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/230500/intel-core-i713700k-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-40-ghz.html

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen, I am checking into this matter as it is quite unusual. 

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
texen
Beginner

The only thing a bit unusual on the system as you can see from the ssu data is I do have Oracle's VirtualBox installed on the system (but not running when I use ARC Control Capture) which uses a proxy type network interface to Win 11. I wouldn't think this should be an issue but since this error seems to 'unusual' I bring this VirtualBox existence to your attention.

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen

I conducted the investigation in order to check if the problem replicated in our environment, it did not.

So we advise the following, shut off the VPN for testing

Go to Settings > Network & internet. Tap on VPN. Toggle off VPN and try again.

Otherwise, we recommend a full reinstallation of the operating system, to ensure VPN is completely removed, reinstall back NordVPN, reinstall ARC, and let us know the outcome. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
texen
Beginner

Luis, what is the correct behavior for ARC Control/Studio/Capture with regard to VPN?

Will it normally work while connected to a VPN or do you really have to have the VPN disconnected or even not even loaded/started?

I am attaching my Windows VPN settings as you suggested but I have no VPN set up through windows. NordVPN is a program that is separate from Windows VPN settings,  as there is no reference to NordVPN in Settings > Network & internet. Tap on VPN. Toggle off VPN.

I went to Network Adapters settings (see Attachment) and disabled VirtualBox and TAP-NordVPN Windows Adaptor V9

Still no change same error trying to start video capture.

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen

Thank you for the information provided, I am checking this for additional investigation. If you that video, I appreciate it and it will be useful. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen, 

Greetings

As we are conducting the investigation, we would like to know the behavior afterward the reinstallation of the operating system. Please tell us the outcome.

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen, 

Greetings

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance? 

May I know the update after reinstallation of the operating system. Please tell us the outcome.

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello texen, 

We have not heard back from you so this thread will no longer be monitored. If you need further support, please post a new question to provide assistance.     

Thank you for choosing Intel. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos