Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

BadImageFormatException crash since latest driver update when opening 1password (which renders using Windows Presentation Foundation)

FBouc1
Beginner

Hello,

My password managing tool (1password) started crashing as soon as I launch it in the past few weeks. After a lot of back and forth with their customer service, it turns out the problem is likely coming from an issue with Windows Presentation Foundation and Intel. My current assumption is that the problem is the latest driver update, as my issue started appearing around that time: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28991/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?v=t

I've got two cards on the computer that crashes: the Intel HD Graphics 4600 card that is integrated to the motherboard and a Geforce 1070TI. Here are the tests I ran:

- reboot in safe mode with network: no crash

- uninstall drivers from all cards: 1password can be started and works without crashing

- install the latest driver for the integrated card with this tool from intel. As soon as I install the latest recommended driver from that tool, it crashes. If I install the driver instead from Windows Update, it also crashes. 

I wasn't able able to do much tests with the Geforce card, because Windows 10 keeps installing the Intel driver too fast to do conclusive tests. My assumption at this point is that the latest Intel update from August 1st is the cause of the issue, as my issues started around that time. 

After a few back and forth with 1password customer service, they explained that their software uses Windows Presentation Foundation to render their app, and that this crash is likely outside of their control. They recommended I post the issue here.

So the questions are:

• is this an issue that is known already, and do you have a potential fix on the way?
  • do you need more information to repro the crash?
  • as a workaround for now, is there a way I can install the previous driver instead of the latest one? When I try to manually install the driver, Windows 10 automatically then installs the latest driver.

I have attached the bug template + diagnostic files.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

How are you using the DCH driver on a 4th gen processor/graphics?

Doc

0 Kudos
FBouc1
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm assuming from your question that I've got the wrong type of driver installed? The drivers were normally installed automatically by Windows. I might have changed them using Intel's tool, but again this is done automatically: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Could you please clarify your comment?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You specifically mentioned and linked to the DCH driver, twice, which has nothing to do with your processor or graphics. 5063 (your driver) has not been updated since March, and has nothing to do with the DCH driver being released August 1st.

Download the latest driver for your processor, specifically: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28662?product=80817

Then, disconnect from the net.

Then, in the device manager, uninstall the Intel driver, selecting the option to delete the software. Reboot. Repeat until you are down to the Microsoft basic display adapter. Yes, this could take some time.

Then, install the driver you downloaded .

Then, reconnect to the net.

You now have a clean installation of the Intel driver.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One more thought - The gigabyte bios allows you to have both nvidia and intel graphics active? Usually, it is one or the other, but not both.

Doc

0 Kudos
FBouc1
Beginner

Hi Al.Hill,

First thank you very much for your thoughts on this. Just when I was going back to try your suggestions, it turns out 1password is now working again. My guess is that a driver update fixed the issue, but I really have no idea. The only other thing that changed is that I'm now using a different monitor, which I doubt can be the culprit. In any case, thanks for your time.

0 Kudos