Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20994 Discussions

Black Screen

Krypt_levi
Beginner

Few weeks after downloading and installing the latest graphics driver, the bottom part of the screen has now gone black. I don't know how to rectify this issue. The screenshot I attached does not even show the issue, but from what I can see, the "give feedback" button is not fully visible. I can only see the top half of it.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Krypt_levi

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue. 

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following: 

1.    IGCC Report: Follow these steps to generate an Intel® Graphics Driver report for the Intel® Graphics Control Panel or the Intel® Graphics Command Center. Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers.

2.    SSU

Please download and scan your system using our tool, Intel® System Support Utility so we can help check your system info first. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan 'Everything', click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please provide the .txt file.

Besides the information requested before please try the following steps and reply with the outcome:

·        Try using another monitor in order to replicate the issue.

Best regards,  

Isaac Q.   

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Krypt_levi
Beginner
Hi,

Find attached the IGCC report. This is the text therein: 

Report Date: Saturday, 01 July 2023
Report Time [hh:mm:ss]: 01:31:15 AM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home 10.0.22621
IGCC Version: 1.100.4979.0
Language: en-US
Physical Memory: 7.78 GB
Current Resolution: 1920x1080

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz
Processor Speed: 2496 MHz
GFX Driver Name: Intel® UHD Graphics
Shader Version: 5.1
OpenCL* Version: 0
* Microsoft DirectX* *
Runtime Version: 12
Hardware-Supported Version: 12
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 9BC4
Device Revision: 05
GFX Driver Version: 30.0.101.1994
Dedicated RAM: 128 MB
Shared RAM: 4 GB
Max Supported Displays: 3
GFX Vulcan: 1.3.212
GFX GOP: 9.0.1113

GFX Driver Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Shader Version: NA
OpenCL* Version: NA
* Microsoft DirectX* *
Runtime Version: NA
Hardware-Supported Version: NA
Vendor ID: 10DE
Device ID: 1C91
Device Revision: A1
GFX Driver Version: 31.0.15.3623
Dedicated RAM: 3 GB
Shared RAM: 4 GB
Max Supported Displays: NA
GFX Vulcan:

* Devices connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Active Displays: 1

* Digital Display 1 *

Display Name: Built-In Display
Display Type: Digital
Serial Number: -
DDC2 Protocol: Supported
Gamma: 2.2
Connector Type: DisplayPort

Maximum Image Size
Horizontal - 13.39 inches
Vertical - 7.48 inches

Supported Modes
1920 x 1080 (40p Hz)
1920 x 1080 (60p Hz)

Power Management Support
-

Raw EDID:
00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 38 70 40 00 00 00 00 00
01 1C 01 04 95 22 13 78 03 F2 85 97 5C 58 8F 28
1D 50 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
01 01 01 01 01 01 2E 36 80 A0 70 38 1F 40 30 20
35 00 58 C2 10 00 00 1A 18 24 80 A0 70 38 1F 40
30 20 35 00 58 C2 10 00 00 1A 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02
00 0C 42 F9 0B 3C 6A 0C 13 23 7D 00 00 00 00 34

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Also, find attached the SSU report.
And lastly, I tried using an HDMI cable to see if the problem would reflect on another monitor, but for some unknown reason, my HDMI port doesn't work anymore. I have already confirmed that the HDMI cord itself is working fine.
Thank you.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the information provided.   

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.  

Best regards,  

Isaac Q.   

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Thank you for your patience.

Before we proceed with the assistance, please provide us with the following information:

1. Do you have dual graphics, or have you tried to disable 1 of the cards and test? (Using one at a time)
  2. When using dual gfx cards, it is recommended to use OEM drivers in case of incompatibility, have you tried updating to the most updated OEM drivers?
  3. Did you try to roll back the driver?
  4. Based on the OEM HP sitewe cannot see W11 drivers for this system (Very likely HP has not validated W11 on this system) and they mention this on their website https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_6966654-6966703-16
  5. BIOS is outdated, we would recommend making the update to the latest F.63 (Checking with OEM for guidance).
  6. Did you have any issues on W10 too?

Looking forward to hearing back from you, otherwise, you will receive a reminder in the next 3-business days.

Best regards,  

Isaac Q.   

0 Kudos
Krypt_levi
Beginner

1. I have a 3 GB Nvidia GTX 1050 graphics card. I don't know if to count the usual Intel processor as another graphics card.
2. I believe so. Although I am not so sure. How do I go about it?
3. Yes, I did. Still the same problem.
4. By W11, you mean Windows 11 right? I have been using Windows 11 on the system for over 7 months. Why is the issue coming up now? It happened sometime in the past, and rolling back the driver helped fix it. It was even worse then.
5. How do I do this?
6. No, I did not. But as I said, although I got this PC with Windows 10, I updated it to Windows 11 soon after. But no, I did not experience this issue while I was on Windows 10.

I would like to know the next steps to take to solve this problem.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Thank you for your reply.

For better understanding please let us know if the issue persists using the Nvidia graphics or is only when Intel graphics are running. It will help a lot to isolate the issue.

Also, if possible, try using another monitor to check if the issue is present on that display too, if the issue is not there it could be related to a hardware issue. Also, because in the screenshot you sent it was possible to see the whole screen.

We understand you have been running Windows 11 on your PC for over 7 months, however according to HP website this computer does not support Windows 11 for their Graphics drivers. Literally this is on their website:

“If the operating system (OS) version that is installed on your computer is not listed on the software download site for your HP product, HP does not offer any software or drivers for your product for that operating system”.

Also feel free to check by yourself, and if you want here are some drivers that may solve your problem:

HP drivers: Only available for Windows 10 according to the HP website:

·        Hp drivers.

·        HP Driver 26.20.100.8141, Release date: Jul 10, 2020.

·        HP Driver 26.20.100.7926, Release date: Apr 30, 2020

Nvidia Drivers: If the issue is not present using the Nvidia drivers, ignore this.

·        Check the Latest OEM driver: GeForce Game Ready Driver - WHQL

·        Driver Version: 536.40 - Release Date: Thu Jun 29, 2023

·        GeForce Game Ready Driver - WHQL

·        Driver Version: 536.23 - Release Date: Wed Jun 14, 2023

Intel Driver:

·        Latest Intel Graphics driver 31.0.101.2115, available for i5-10300H CPU.

And as a last step, to update BIOS:

·        Update BIOS to F.63 Rev.A. For more info go here. To update the BIOS in the best way possible, please contact HP support.

Before updating something, first we need to check if the issue is present on another display/monitor. So as a first step try to use an external monitor, use different cables/ports if possible. And then let us know if the issue is visible.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Krypt_levi
Beginner

Yes, I have uninstalled my Intel and Nvidia graphics. Still the same problem. Then I installed only my Intel graphics back, still had the same issue, before I installed the latest Nvidia driver as well.

I can't troubleshoot with another monitor because my HDMI port also stops working. I do not know if it is related to the screen problem.  I was only able to notice that the port wasn't working anymore when I tried troubleshooting by connecting my laptop to my TV screen with the HDMI cable when the problem started.

Alright. Is there a way to roll back my Windows to Windows 10? If so, how do I go about it, please? 

I will try and get the latest hp driver for Windows 10 installed as recommended.

What do you mean when you say "If the issue is not present using the Nvidia drivers"?

I believe that is what I'm currently on. The intel driver,  I mean.

Alright. Will do this as well.

Do I do this one by one, restarting after each step to see if the problem is solved?
Or do I do all of it at once, then restart after I must have finished all steps?

Thank you for your help, so far.
I will wait for your response before doing anything.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Krypt_levi

Thank you for reply. We understand how frustrating this issue can be, so we will be more than happy to assist you.

Also thank you for the information provided.

Besides the information requested before please try the following steps and reply with the outcome:

1.      Try using another port besides HDMI according to the product description these are other ports available for this laptop: 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate (HP Sleep and Charge); 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate; 1 HDMI 2.0; 1 RJ-45; 1 AC smart pin; 1 headphone/microphone combo

2.      To roll back to a previous Windows version is necessary to contact Microsoft support to get the best answer since is their product. Please contact Microsoft support.

To answer your question, what I mean when I say, "If the issue is not present using the Nvidia drivers", is if you tried using the Nvidia graphics does the issue is present in the screen? Or is only visible with the Intel graphics? Because if you can switch between Nvidia and Intel graphics, is there any difference regarding the issue or is the same?

To answer your other question:

It is better to go one by one and do a clean install of the driver to have better results.

Please, if possible, try using another port or cable to test on another monitor because it seems to be related to the physical display. Once you can disregard that option it is recommended to roll back to the previous Windows version. This is in order to avoid any damage to your data.

First, we must dismiss the physical layer.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Krypt_levi

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Krypt_levi
Beginner

Hi, Isaac,

1. All my other ports work just fine. The HDMI port is the only one acting up.
2. I was thinking to just wait it out. Hopefully HP releases support for windows 11.
What do you think?

Best, 
Kelvin.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Krypt_levi

Thank you for reply.

Thank you for the information provided, besides that, could you please let us know the following:

1.      Was it possible to test the monitor on another port?

2.      Is the issue still present on the bottom of the screen?

3.      If all other ports are working fine, can you please check if the monitor is having the same issue on those other ports?

4.      As per our last post, if you tried using the Nvidia graphics does the issue is present in the screen? Or is only visible with the Intel graphics? Because if you can switch between Nvidia and Intel graphics, is there any difference regarding the issue or is the same?

We cannot warranty you that HP will release updates for Windows 11, so you must contact them to cover those inquiries. HP support.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Krypt_levi
Beginner

Hi Isaac,

1. I may be misunderstanding you. My product is a laptop, but you keep saying monitor. What do you mean be "test it on another port"?
2. Yes, it still is. I haven't done anything since. The only fix I've attempted was uninstalling my drivers, intel and Nvidia. Checked to see if that fixed the problem, then I installed them both back.
3. Check if the monitor (I use a laptop) is having what issue on the other ports?
4. The Nvidia driver comes with the laptop. I can not just easily switch between Nvidia and Intel. I have to uninstall one or the other. And like I said, I have tried that already. The issue is present when it is just intel driver on my system, when they are both installed on my system, when it is just nvidia installed on my system, or when both of them are not installed.

Best, 
Kelvin.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Krypt_levi

Thank you for the information provided.

For your information, we are aware that the issue is regarding a laptop, also we provided with all the drivers available for that exact model, as you can see on one of our previous posts.

There are some features that we need to know to verify if the issue is something related to the embedded display of the laptop or not. We need to test an external display on the laptop to verify if the issue is present on the external monitor.

This can be done using not only your laptop's HDMI port, but you can also use one of the following:

Try using another port besides HDMI according to the product description these are other ports available for this laptop:

1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge).

If you don’t have an external monitor to test, that’s totally fine, we understand, however we need to verify if is possible to replicate that issue on an external monitor.

Also, we understand that you are having issues with your HDMI port, that’s why I’m suggesting using another of ports available on your laptop.

It is very important to know if we can replicate that issue on an external monitor because this issue appears to be related to physical damage to your laptop's built-in screen, and this can be seen from the screenshot you sent us, where everything appears to be totally fine, but, on your screen, you see a black bar at the bottom of the screen.

And, because according to your own words, you tested all the drivers we provided you and the issue is still visible.

We also let you know on previous posts that HP does not have any kind of updates for Windows 11, and we suggest you make an update to your BIOS, these steps could fix that issue, but first we would like to know if that issue is visible by using an external monitor/display/TV.

We understand this can be frustrating, but we are willing to help you as far as possible.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Krypt_levi
Beginner

Hi.
I apologise for the late response. I must have missed the email notification.
It turns out my HDMI port works just fine, I tried it on another monitor (a friend's TV). The issue doesn't seem to show on the external display.

So to answer your inquiry, the issue is not visible on the external display.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Krypt_levi

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Krypt_levi

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos