Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Black screen after intel iris xe update

jenter
Beginner

Hello, everytime i try to update my graphics card my screen stays black and there is nothing I can do but to bring back my laptop to factory settings. I have tried this 2 times now and there is no change. I used the intel driver and support assistant and my Windows was in a acceptble update, my cards are 11th gen intel core i5 and intel iris xe graphics.

What can i do?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

I wouldn't use " intel driver and support assistant"  to install drivers on a laptop unless it is "my last hope to install a driver that fixes a very critical issue..."

This intel tool only pushes generic drivers and you may lose features, customizations, and so on...

My advice would be: You should download and install the driver from the laptop's website, and continue installing updates as they release new versions, only from their website (or using the automatic driver tool they have if there is any..., most of top manufactures like Dell, HP, Lenovo, and so have a tool like that)

0 Kudos
sqlexpert
Beginner

I was tempted to post on this forum about a similar issue, but my post would say "Thank you, Intel! You fixed it!" Let me describe my problem and the resolution in more detail:

Early November, my Dell Inspiron 7506-SLV laptop began displaying graphics corruption issues. The symptoms were:

Black screen at bootup, in the login window. I could log in by using my fingerprint touch sensor, or typing in my PIN, however I didn't know that at first, so I would hold down the power button and go through the complicated procedure to boot into the recovery mode and select safe mode and then reboot again so that I could finally disable/uninstall the Intel graphics driver  (while in Safe Mode), and switch to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, which worked okay on my 1920x1080 laptop display so that I could function again. I tried many, many drivers, old and new, Dell or Intel, but the symptoms remained until some special Gaming Arc driver update on December 29th or before, when I installed it and suddenly my problems were fixed! Later WHQL drivers also worked, and so did old (March drivers from Dell), which the laptop sometimes reverts to. (Any hints on how to tell Dell not to revert my Intel driver installation? I guess I need to uninstall the Dell Support Assistant or something... But I digress...)

Some more symptoms, while the problem occurred were: first some display garbage and flashing black screen, then a constant black screen, after loading any of the following programs: Microsoft Edge, Chrome/Chromium/Electron apps, such as Discord or Slack or Twitch Studio. For the web browsers, I was able to find either registry settings or configuration files to disable GPU acceleration or Hardware Acceleration. (I could list the registry entries and configuration names, if someone cares.) But there are so many apps to update; for example Windows Store would also not display, nor would the Weather app in the tray (which I removed), and system-modal dialogs (UAC prompt) would come up blank (I would know to press alt-Y to acknowledge the UAC prompt.)  Many games would go blank, e.g. BioShock Infinite, yet GTA V would still load (after some flashing and screen corruption, as if it was trying several different display modes until if found one that worked.)

Again, all these issues resolved after the late-December Gaming update (an alpha? beta? I forget...) from Intel. (It *might* have been gfx_win_101.3975.exe (WHQL?), or more likely gfx_win_101.3959.exe, both installed on 12/29/2022.)

Anyway, thank you Intel, for somehow repairing my broken Xe graphics, and I think it was a firmware update, which many drivers fail to update, but this one apparently did. I wish Intel would be a little bit more open about their updating process; in particular, what kind of firmware are you updating, or how else is it that a newer graphics driver can fix problems with older graphics drivers (that is to say, the reversion to a driver dated in April, 2022, did *NOT* result in a reversion of graphics driver corruption symptoms, so the fix was apparently persistent, as if it was a firmware update.)

0 Kudos