Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Can I install and use newest Intel graphic drivers (26.20.100.6890) in my HP notebook for my Intel HD 520 graphics card but Intel Core i5-6200U processor (2.3 GHz to 2.8 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)?

DeeJay
Beginner

Greetings to all.

I would like to ask if I can use these new Intel drivers (26.20.100.6890) in my HP notebook for my Intel HD 520 graphics card but with the Intel Core i5-6200U processor (2.3 GHz to 2.8 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)?

Or can you please advise me?

HP's official support site includes the latest drivers by 2017.

Thank you for any reaction.

John

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Proceed at your own risk. Using the Intel generic drivers will probably work, but you will loose any customizations/modifications HP has made to support their hardware.

And, if your laptop has dual graphics, you will not want to do this.

Doc

0 Kudos
DeeJay
Beginner

Thank you for answer.

I totally understand you, sir. I've tried previous versions. And the graphics were great. The point is. With the generic Intel driver, the graphics are much better than with the HP driver.

What can happen to a video card if the wrong driver is used? Can a generic driver be bad, can it be taken as a bad driver?

My notebook did not show any signs of bad work when using the previous driver version (26.20.100.6861) for the Intel HD 520 graphics card. Temperature Gpu Ok (40-65ºC)

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DeeJay,

We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. We cannot guarantee that your computer/graphics card will work as expected. Your system may also experience potential installation incompatibilities. 

As recommended by Al.Hill, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

Keep in mind that you can also contact your computer manufacturer to report that the drivers available for your system are not giving the performance expected.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
DeeJay
Beginner
<span lang='en' style='max-height:999999px'>Hello, thank you for the information board Wanner G. Driver 3 driver driver driver I am currently installed the latest version of Intel graphics drivers (for Intel HD 520) and I have no problem yet.</span>
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DeeJay, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Perfect, it is great to hear that you were able to install the Intel® generic graphics driver for the Intel® HD Graphics 520 controller and the computer is working properly.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos