Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Can Intel HD Graphics 620 support two monitors in 2560x1440 resolution?

JAndr35
Novice

I am trying to run extended desktop over two HP Z27n G2 monitors, but one is put in a lower resolution, and I can't select the native 2560x1440 for it. They are both connected by display port to a HP USB-c dock, which is connected to the laptop by USB-c

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

JAndr35, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the laptop?

What is the specific model of the HP USB-C dock?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Do you have the option to connect both monitors directly to the laptop without the HP USB-C dock and test the extended mode that way? This is just to rule out a possible restriction from the docking station.

Please provide the following reports:

SSU Report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

DxDiag Report:

-In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

-In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

-Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

-Open the report.

-Use the option "save all information" to save the .TXT file to your desktop.   

Graphics Report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower-left corner.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JAndr35
Novice

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for you quick response.

The laptop is a l HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3 and it is new, running Windows 10 Enterprise

I have not been able to get it to work with two monitors at optimum resolution, at any point since receiving it a few weeks ago.

The docking station is this one: HP Elite USB-C Docking Station, https://store.hp.com/in-en/default/hp-elite-usb-c-docking-station-x7w54aa.html

I have connected two HP Z27n G2 monitors via individual Displayport connections to the docking station.

I am a bit at a loss on how to connect the two monitors directly to the laptop. The laptop has just an HDMI port and two USB C ports.

I have attached the reports you requested.

Best regards

Jens

0 Kudos
JAndr35
Novice

Seems it replaces attachments, so the other follows here.

0 Kudos
JAndr35
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Jerntoft
Beginner

so the intel HD Graphics 620 has more than enough capacity to support dual or triple monitors in 1440p at 60hz

I'm on a Latitude 7820 and the setup supports dual monitors at 1980 only. The ones at work are 1080p monitors, while at the home office I have a 1440p and a 1080p. the 1440p max resolution as a single external monitor is 1080p. Might it be a limitation of the HDMI (maybe HDMI.1?)

Jim

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oh yes indeed. Intel HD Graphics 620 can, in fact, simultaneously support three independent 4K (3840 × 2160) HDR monitors running at 60Hz.

First, Intel HD Graphics 620 support:

• Processors including Intel HD Graphics 620 support three independent output channels. These channels can be configured to support DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 1.4a.
  • If configured for DisplayPort 1.2, an output channel will have a data bandwidth of 17.28 gigabits per second. You can connect one, two or three monitors to each output channel. If multiple monitors are connected to a channel, they share that channel's data bandwidth.
  • If configured for HDMI 1.4a, an output channel will have a data bandwidth of only 8.16 gigabits per second (hint: this will just barely support a 4K SDR monitor running at 30Hz). Only a single monitor can be connected to a HDMI output stream.
  • Processors including Intel HD Graphics 620 support a maximum of three independent monitors. Even though you can physically connect up to nine monitors (using DisplayPort 1.2), a maximum of three will be supported.
  • The data bandwidth for a 1080p monitor at 60Hz is 3.20 gigabits per second.
  • The data bandwidth for a 1440p monitor at 60Hz is 5.63 gigabits per second.
  • The data bandwidth for a 4K SDR monitor at 60Hz is 12.54 gigabits per second.
  • The data bandwidth for a 4K HDR monitor at 60Hz is 15.68 gigabits per second.

And now USB-C and supporting technologies:

• The USB-C connector has pins that support a DisplayPort output channel. This DisplayPort channel is independent of the USB channel also supported.
  • A device called a Multi-Stream Transport (MST) Hub can be connected to a DisplayPort channel and support two or three DisplayPort monitors being connected to this channel.
  • A device called a Level Shifter Protocol Converter (LSPCon) can be used to convert a DisplayPort output stream into a HDMI output stream. These are currently being used on PC motherboards, in IC (chip) form, to convert one or more of the the processor's output channels, configured as DisplayPort 1.2 output channels, into HDMI 2.0 output channels. This overcomes (albeit at a cost) the processor's HDMI 1.4a limitation.
  • Some MST Hub devices also include the equivalent of LSPCon IC(s) so that HDMI monitors can be plugged into them.
  • As an additional data point, I use a MST Hub device to simultaneously connect both a 4K (SDR only) monitor at 60Hz and a 1080p monitor at 60Hz to the USB-C port of one of Intel's NUC devices (a NUC7i7BEH).

In your case,

• Your USB-C dock is taking in a DisplayPort 1.2 output stream and, presumably through the inclusion of a MST Hub, supporting connections for two monitors.
  • LSPCon IC(s) may also be included if HDMI connectors are supported instead of DisplayPort.
  • Remember that, if multiple monitors are connected to a DisplayPort channel, the data bandwidth of this channel is shared by these monitors.

From all this, we can conclude that two 1440p monitors running at 60Hz can easily be supported on a DisplayPort 1.2 channel. So why is your dock not supporting both of your 1440p monitors at 60Hz? Good question! I've shown that the capability to do so is there. I am sorry, I do not understand what is going on. I could blame poor components in the dock. Could it be the fault of the cables used (both the USB-C cable and the DisplayPort cables? Yes, it certainly can.

• If a cable is of poor quality, it may not support the full data bandwidth. This applies equally to the USB-C and DisplayPort cables.
  • A problem specific to DisplayPort is that the cables supporting DisplayPort 1.1's High Bit Rate (HBR) and DisplayPort 1.2's High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) bandwidths are both labelled as being "Standard" DisplayPort Cables. If a cable only supports HBR, however, its data rate is not going to be sufficient to support the connections desired.

I hope this leads you to a conclusion for what is going on...

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Jens,

I took a look at the specs for your laptop. The HDMI port is a direct exposure of a processor graphics output channel configured for HDMI 1.4a. With a capable, high-speed HDMI cable, you should be able to support one of your monitors at a full 60Hz. Supporting the second monitor using the dock or a USB-C to HDMI (or USB-C to DisplayPort) dongle should allow you to support the second monitor at 60Hz.

Again, you should, in theory, be able to use a USB-C to 2x HDMI (or USB-C to 2x DisplayPort) MST Hub device and be able to utilize both monitors, at 60Hz, off the DisplayPort-enabled USB-C port.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
ArvindMewada
Beginner

I have HP notebook 17-by0062cl with 1 HDMI and 2 x USB 3.0 type A

Can i connect two additional display one on HDMI and One on USB 3.0 using USB type A to HDMI convertor?

This laptop has Intel UDH 620 Graphic  

Intel i5 8th gen processor

0 Kudos
JAndr35
Novice

This is very strange. After taking a detailed look at the specs for the HP G4 dock, I realized that it did not support two monitors at 2.5K

So my IT department got me a HP G5 dock, that should support it, but the result is the same. I tried installing new firmware for the new dock, and tried removing the Intel drivers.

With native Windows drivers, it booted into 2x2.5K, but cloned, and I could not change to extended desktops.

After reinstalling intel drivers, I am back to only one monitor in 2.5K.

Plugging one of the into the laptop HDMI, changes that monitor to 2.5K and forces the DP monitor into lower resolution.

So, still no solution.

Jens

DWals5
Beginner

JAndr35,

Did you happen to ever fix this problem? I have the exact same issue running the Intel HD Graphics 620 in an HP elite x2 1012 g2. Thought it was the HP USB-C G4 dock, so I had my IT department provide me a G5 dock. Still can’t get 2560x1440 to work on both monitors. I have tried MST, two DP direct to dock, HDMI with DP etc etc... Everything I read this video driver should be able to run three monitors @ 4K.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this? I have the latest video drivers installed from HP website. Intel’s website tells you to use the manufactures drivers.

0 Kudos
JAndr35
Novice
Hi DWals5, Sorry for not updating this, yes I did in fact manage to get it to work with the G5 dock. It took a lot of driver hassle and I remember also removing a tick mark in the BIOS, although I don’t remember which one now. And I am a not sure what worked. But, don’t give up, it is definitely possible, it works on my system (although I am locked out of the building now, so can’t provide more testing for you). Best Jens
DWals5
Beginner
Thanks JAndr35, I got it to work. BIOS setting to enable high resolution, but comes with a compromise. The HP USB-C G5 dock slows the USB speeds down to 2.0 and the NIC goes to 10/100 versus 1G.
david1109
Beginner

I can confirm that the BIOS update on a HP laptop was necessary in order to get both monitors to work at 2560x1440 at the same time.

Under the Advanced heading go to System Options, then you are looking for the option "Enable High Resolution mode when connected to a USB-C DP alt mode dock" It will give you the warning about reducing performance in order to enable High Resolution mode.

0 Kudos
Panu
Beginner

I have the same problem with Lenovo T570.

Displays are Dell U2719DC. No docking station, I connect the first display directly with Usb-C cable to laptop and the first display's MST port is connected to the second displays dp in. The desktop is extended but I cannot get the correct resolution on the second display, max available is 2048x1080 and looks blurry and incorrect display ratio.

I would be greatful if a solution was found.

0 Kudos
Raz-Al-Guhl
Beginner

I've got a similar issue with my Lenovo T490 sitting on its docking station. Connecting each monitor individually with either DP cable gives me 4K but when I have both connected at the same time, my primary is 4K while the 2nd monitor maxes out at 2018 X 1152.

2nd monitor is fuzzy and hard to work with in comparison. I updated the monitor drivers to be safe but that didn't make a difference. Please help.

0 Kudos
RsW
Beginner

I am also using a Lenovo T490 with a USB-C docking station. I have two Acer UHD 2560X1440 (KA272U) monitors in portrait arrangement. When I duplicate the monitors they both display perfectly in 1440X2560 mode. When I extend the monitors, one stays in full resolution and the other goes to 800X1280 (the same also happens in landscape mode). I installed the latest drivers and was able to use the Intel Graphics Command Center to force a custom mode of 1440X2560 on the second monitor. But the second monitor has black bars along the long sides and a fuzzy display. The Lenovo dock specs say it will support three monitors at 3840x2160 @60Hz. Note: The good monitor says it is running a refresh rate of 59p but the monitor with the bad display says it is running at 60p. I have swapped around three different monitors, swapping DP cables, and using a HDMI cables and this did not change anything. Please help.

0 Kudos
Vledermuis
Beginner

Was there ever any resolution to this issue?  I am having the same problem on my Lenovo Thinkpad T480S.

Monitor1: Dell U2520D

Monitor2: Dell U2518D

I have tested in two different configurations and in both scenarios, Monitor2 gets downscaled to 1080p:

1) USB-C into Monitor1 then using MST with DP cable from Monitor1 to Monitor2

2) USB-C into Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock, then DP cables to both monitors (no MST)

0 Kudos
l3adass
Beginner

Hi support, I meet the same issue : unable to use 2 displays in 2560x1080 with intel UHD 620

I've tested using HDMI / display port nothing works, I still have one of them with 1920x1080 and the other 2560x1080 i tried to change cables and switch them, only on display can use 2560x1080 at the time.

after several update driver of chipset / bios / displays I feel that intel 620 in simply not able to deal with 2 2560x1080 CAN YOU CONFIRM THAT PLEASE ?

Config : 

Dell Latitude 5300

i5 8265U

2 same LG ULTRAWIDE LG29WP500

docking station dell : WD19S 130W HDMI, 2 x DP, USB-C

thanks for your help and support

0 Kudos
johnm84
Beginner

I got this to work today. I have a MSI 34" (3440x1440) in landscape and a Dell U2415 in Portrait (1200x1920). I just setup the MSI monitor over the weekend and last night, checked to make sure it worked with my work laptop (a Dell machine of some sort). When daisy-chaining the display port connection, My MSI monitor reduced its res. It ran in full res as the only monitor. I tried several different combinations, all starting from the ports on my USB-C dock.

@n_scott_pearson said this and this is what tipped me off.

"I took a look at the specs for your laptop. The HDMI port is a direct exposure of a processor graphics output channel configured for HDMI 1.4a. With a capable, high-speed HDMI cable, you should be able to support one of your monitors at a full 60Hz. Supporting the second monitor using the dock or a USB-C to HDMI (or USB-C to DisplayPort) dongle should allow you to support the second monitor at 60Hz."

After reading this, I connected the Dell monitor via HDMI directly to the HDMI port on my laptop. The DP connection goes from the dock to the MSI monitor. Instant success. No BIOS tweaking.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos