Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Can't find the name of the Intel ICD OpenGL driver

BDimm1
Beginner

I have an HP Envy 750-424 desktop with an Intel HD 530 graphics driver. This morning Windows automatically updated the graphics driver, and Chrome stopped working with an OpenGL ES Error dialog box stating "Can't find the name of the Intel ICD OpenGL driver." I rolled back the driver from 21.20.16.4574 to 20.19.15.4454 and it fixed the issue. However, I suspect Windows will keep automatically updating the driver and causing this issue (it happened once before, with a different version number, and I was able to fix it with System Restore, so it seems to be a recurring problem). I have seen in other discussions that some drivers are provided by Intel and some are customized by manufacturers--is 21.20.16.4574 provided by Intel or by HP? Is this a bug that will be addressed ina future driver version?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
85 Replies
青OkDi
Beginner

Hi....even I am facing the same issue. I tried upgrading my display drivers and my current config is:

Intel HD Graphics 520: 21.20.16.4550

NVIDIA GeForce 930M

Windows 10: 64 bit operating system

Let me know how I can solve this issue?

Regards,

Sandesh

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi OkDie,

I understand this was fixed already if you are using Intel® graphics controller. I hope you can fix it by updating to the latest graphics drivers version 4771.

Try installing the graphics drivers manually by downloading the zip version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27058/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?product=88355 here and follow step by step https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html installation instructions

Please let me know your findings.

Allan J.

0 Kudos
青OkDi
Beginner

I've try to update the engine manual, manual full as well as failed!

0 Kudos
青OkDi
Beginner

When I extracted the exe file, I get the following message.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi OkDie,

Are you getting any error message? if so, please provide screenshots of the error.

What has failed? the driver installation?

Have you tried installing the latest graphics drivers from your computer manufacturer?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Allan J.

0 Kudos
青OkDi
Beginner

I tried installing the graphics driver manually from the zip file and I got the results.

And when I checked the version

My graphics driver was the latest version of the current release of the update from nvidia.

Hope you help!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi OkDie,

Thank you for the update in regard this matter.

This seems to be an issue with your computer manufacturer not allowing the computer to accept generic drivers from Intel. This means the Video BIOS of the graphics controller is locked, the only way to go around this limitation was to install the graphics drivers manually. My suggestion would be to contact your computer maker to obtain customized drivers for your computer model.

Allan J.

0 Kudos
IGood
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Error when trying to launch Origin setup: Can't find the name of the Intel ICD OpenGL driver

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 9 (rev. 1.0)

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Intel HD Graphics 630

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-top: none; border-right: 1pt solid windowtext; bor...
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this matter. I am currently reviewing this issue. This thread will be updated as news become available.

Allan.

0 Kudos
IGood
Beginner

Hi Allen,

Just wanted to give you an update. The discreet graphics card for my new build arrived and even after installing and loading the drivers, the issue above did not go away.

However, as I had loaded the system on a MBR partition and wanted to switch to UEFI, I did another fresh install of windows. The only settings changed in BIOS was to ensure only UEFI could be used, no legacy support. The integrated graphics was still set to Auto; however, the discreet card was installed and had priority. After setting everything up to where Origin could be installed, it succeeded.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
SRiva1
Beginner

Same issue here, mainly using GeoGebra Classic for Windows, a math software.

For testing purposes it's possible to download it https://download.geogebra.org/package/win from here (it's free).

If the software is run using only the 2d views, there are no errors/warnings, but if I try to open the 3D View (View->3D Graphics) I get the "Cant find the name of Intel ICD OpenGL driver" warning.

The weirdest behaviour of all is that if I click the button to close the warning dialog 6 or 7 times to get rid of it, in the end the 3D View is displayed, and works fine. This behaviour was confirmed by other users in the https://help.geogebra.org/ GeoGebra Forum.

I'm now on a brand new laptop (had no issues with the old one running Win 7). It's a Win10 Home (10.014393) laptop, Intel i7-7500U, 12 GB DDR4, Integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 + NVIDIA GeForce 940MX.

Currently using GeoGebra with the integrated Intel chip.

I'm now downloading the Creator Update, but I'm sure it won't solve the issue, because in GeoGebra Forum many users reported that the problem was still there after the update. My next step will be manualy installing the Intel drivers, because the laptop producer doesn't allow installation of different drivers than theirs (even though I suspect that with the next boot Acer will automatically reinstall theirs - I just need a bit of time to get in touch with this new laptop's settings).

Please test this issue with GeoGebra. Our is a very wide community, teachers and students from all over the world, and this issue is a bit of a pain for us who use Ggb on a daily basis to teach.

Thanks a lot and excuse me for being so long winded

(I'll let you know if something improves after Creator Update and manual installation of Intel drivers - but I'm quite sure that the issue won't be automatically fixed, since many people already did it and had no benefit)

Best regards,

Simona

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Simona,

Thanks for your input. Can you include the DxDiag.txt report and confirm in which disk partition you have the application installed?

One interesting observation I am making is that so far all the reports I see on this issue come from laptops featuring Hybrid Graphics (i.e. Intel Graphics + Nvidia*) and Windows 10*. This might explain why I haven't been able to replicate the issue (I have been using Intel NUCs i.e. Intel Graphics only).

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
SRiva1
Beginner

Here you are.

I completed the installation of Creator update succesfully, run GeoGebra and had the same error message.

And yes, I've read in this thread that the issue seems related to hybrid laptops using an integrated Intel+ a Nvidia Gpu (I'm not using the Nvidia tho )

What makes me doubtful about all this is that silly behavior of the error warning, that if confirmed after 6 or 7 times makes the 3d view available and working. As if the System needed more trials to locate the file. But that's strange...

Thanks a lot for your support.

0 Kudos
SRiva1
Beginner

Sorry Ronald,

I forgot the location of GeoGebra.

I have it in C: - installed using the default settings, so no forcing changes at all.

Thanks,

S.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

I was able to replicate the issue on one of my Kaby Lake NUCs (i.e. Intel Graphics only) while using GeoGebra Classic. To my surprise, if I completely remove the Intel drivers - so Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is listed under Display adapters in Device Manager - I am still able to see the error message "Can't find the name of the Intel ICD OpenGL driver". Feel free to give this test a try in order to validate this finding.

In the mean time, thank you for your patience. Now that I have a failing scenario I'm hoping to have a more substantial update soon.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
SRiva1
Beginner

This is great.

I've put a bottle of sparkling white wine in the refrigerator and bought some chocolate, ready to worthily celebrate the troubleshooting and solution of this boring issue (always thinking positive - we humans must always win vs machines LOL)

Thanks a lot Ronald,

S.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

I have a new update on this issue. As previously mentioned, I was able to replicate the error while using GeoGebra Classic (I also tested with other applications mentioned here and in other threads like EA's Origin, Visual Studio 2017, etc to no avail).

Using GeoGebra Classic, I DO NOT see the error anymore with our latest internal driver build (i.e. not released yet). It is my understanding that this is to be released soon, so please have a bit more patience.

In the mean time, if you see the error on any other application, it would be extremely helpful if you can provide me with steps to replicate the issue, that way I can test it here and make sure it is included in our upcoming driver.

As usual, as soon as I have a new update I'll post it here.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
AOğuz
Beginner

Hi, i have same issue too. I installed latest driver, HD 630 21.20.16.4678, but this issue continues on Uosteam. My laptop is DELL 7567. It has i7 7700HQ. Uosteam is a connector and it can help me to connect to online game, ultima online. If there is a solution for that now, could you share with me?

Windows 10 x64, Relase: 1607 (14393.1198)

0 Kudos
sCrof
Beginner

I'm having the same issue with the exact same program, UOsteam. My new Widows 10 system is an Acer with the i7 7700 chip set as well. Please let me know when the new driver is released. It sounds like that will be the fix. Thank you.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to replicate this error with Uosteam but so far no luck. Can you tell me if I need to have Ultima Online installed as well? Otherwise, should I click on any particular option to see the error?

Thank you for your feedback.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
AOğuz
Beginner
0 Kudos