Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Can't get 60Hz (4K) with XPS13 9310 and Dell 3219q using USB-C to USB-C

helpdell
Beginner

I cannot get 60Hz (4K) on my Dell U3219 32" 4K using my XPS13 9310 and a USB-C to USB-C cable. The max I get is 30hz. So much money spent on two top of the line Dell devices... you would think they would work well together. So frustrating!!!

I have updated every single driver, got the latest BIOS, etc...  This works fine with my Macbook Air (same monitor, same cable).

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @helpdell

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following details?

1- Are you using any video adapter or docking station with this USB-C to USB-C cable? Is it a straight-through connection?

2- Did this configuration work fine before? If yes, was there any recent change? For instance, Hardware or Software (Windows updates, driver updates, software updates)?

3- For testing purposes, if you lower the resolution, are you able to select a refresh rate of 60Hz?

4- With the external display connected to the laptop, please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the below link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

5- Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

My understanding is that you cannot get 60Hz when using a USB-C-to-USB-C cable. Why? Because when you use a USB-C-to-USB-C cable, you are enabling USB as well as DisplayPort (DP). When you also enable USB, you are cutting the bandwidth for the DP signal in half. If you switch to using a USB-C-to-DP cable (or USB-C-to-DP dongle + DP cable), you can get to 4K@60Hz .

There are plenty of cables and dongles available fairly cheaply through Amazon. Here are some examples:

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
helpdell
Beginner

I was able to do it (4K@60Hz) with my Macbook Air - same cable, same monitor.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello helpdell

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos