Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Can't select single display in Intel Graphics on NUC7i7BNH

MGaih
Beginner

I have a NUC with an attached LG TV and an ASUS monitor.

Both the TV and the monitor are running at 1920 x 1080p at 59/60Hz. The TV is attached to a Denon AVR-4306 surround amplifier with HDMI video/sound input with straight-through signal.

On the NUC - using the Intel graphics software - I can only select cloned/duplicated displays such that the image is displayed (flawlessly) on both the TV and the monitor. I am not able to select the TV as the single output. When doing that, both screens blank, and after a while (10-20 seconds), the cloned image appears on both screens. In cloned mode, everything work as expected: full 5.1. surround sound through the Denon amp, and a perfect image on the TV. But, obviously, I would like to de-attach the monitor and only watch the TV screen. If I simply remove the cable to the monitor, output from both screens are gone. 

The really odd thing is that when I first attached the TV with a monitor, everything worked as expected - single display, surround sound etc. Then I re-booted the NUC and the Intel driver notified me that the TV was able to run at a 3840 x 2160 resolution, and whether I would like to turn that on.

I did, and that's when the problems began. Regardless of how the displays are configured, I am always only able to use cloned displays - never just the TV as the single output.

Any suggestions are highly welcome.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
17 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have seen some odd behavior when you have a HDR 4K TV and a 1080p monitor connected. If you power off, disconnect the monitor and then power on, does the TV display properly?

...S

0 Kudos
MGaih
Beginner

Yes I did try that (plus swapped the HDMI and Thunderbolt inputs) - unfortunately makes no difference whatsoever: Images can only be displayed on both screens, and using the "Cloned displays" - never a single display.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am sorry, I have never seen any phenomena like this and have nothing else to suggest. Intel Customer Support will need to investigate...

...S

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
MGaih, Could you please let us know the driver version you are running? Please go to Device Manager> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MGaih
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The driver version is: 24.20.100.6286.

I have enclosed the report from the "Driver and Report Assistant" as well.

Brgds,

Michael

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Please, try the re-installing the current version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28208/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BN-NUC7i5BN-NUC7i7BN?product=95065 Use this method to install the driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html Use the "Device Manager Method" to uninstall the current driver installed: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MGaih
Beginner

Hi again,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I just did what you suggested - uninstalled the old driver and re-installed the (same) driver you linked to, using the device driver method you described. Unfortunately, however, the problem prevails with the exact same issues as described earlier. Just out of curiosity: wouldn' t the old driver and/or display settings still be stored in the Windows registry? I would imagine a total display driver "reset" would entail clearing out/deleting any possible registry settings as well ?

Brgds,

Michael

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Yes, that is correct. But from our end we do not have documentation or instructions on how to do it. You can always try with the Recovery options in Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MGaih
Beginner

OK - you can take look here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-reset-external-monitors-settings/b3a53cef-e54f-4410-b09e-6846fa297a3f

That procedure actually works - but the Intel graphics driver doesn't. That is, I can now select a single display (the TV), but no image is displayed.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Try https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28139/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=98912 Also, make sure you Windows 10 is up to date. For this run Windows 10 updates. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MGaih
Beginner

I installed all Windows 10 updates., and subsequently installed the new driver (25.20.100.6444) using the exe file (only option). The installation failed with a "Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver detected". The accompanying error message is something along the lines of: "The driver to be installed is not validated on this computer. Acquire the relevant driver from the manufacturer. The installation program will be terminated." Since the driver can only be installed using an exe-file, what to do?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Can you please follow the steps in the following thread: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490PbrSAE/new-25201006444-intel-graphics-windows-10-dch-drivers-6th-7th-8th-9th-generation-apollo-lake-gemini-lake-amber-lake-and-whiskey-lake?language=en_US to install the driver? Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MGaih
Beginner

Well - the link you've provided only states that you have to use the exe-file to install the new driver (which was the original problem), so that's not an option in that the installer basically says to get the driver from the manufacturer (Intel PC, Intel driver - right ?).

Also, it's not possible to just update the driver in Windows - no drivers are found, since only an exe-file is available. Similarly, neither WIndows Update nor Intel's own "Driver Update" application identifies any new graphics driver later than current one (ver. 24.20.100.6286) - so basically I'm at a loss here ?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MGaih, We would like to continue investigating this issue. A. Have you tried connecting the TV and monitor to the Intel® NUC only for testing purposes? If possible, please use straight-through connections with a single cable. B. Run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MGaih
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I have tried connecting the NUC directly to the TV and monitor . That works without any problems, and I'm able to select either output display as was originally intended. It's only when going through the Denon amp that the problems occur.

I have enclosed a copy of the output from the System Support Utility.

Best regards and thanks,

Michael Gaihede

0 Kudos
MGaih
Beginner

I have finally managed to get my setup working, which of course is nice and pleasing. But it has transpired that there are serious issues with Intel's graphic driver for Windows.

After making sure that all Windows updates were installed (I'm currently at ver. 1803 in Windows Professional and no further updates are available) from Microsoft, I first uninstalled the old graphics driver (ver. 24.20.100.6286).

From previous suggestions, I was told to install verision 25.20.100.6444 which is NOT able to install on my NUC (error message: "Acquire the relevant driver from the manufacturer" - right!).

I then noticed there was a beta driver on the support website - BETA_25.20.100.6448 - and I tried just that since nothing else had worked.

This driver doesn't install using the Intel provided exe-file., but you can extract the files from the download using WinRar or similar, and then update the driver using Windows' standard driver facility (which look for inf and dll's in a specific directory).

Once the driver was updated to the beta version, I re-booted the NUC and tried to select my LG TV as the single output display - again to no avail. Actually, the exact same problems I had experienced and described earlier re-surfaced (only cloned displays - had to have both displays connected, etc.)

So, naturally, I gave it up thinking I'm back in the same old driver hell, but for the sake of it, I retried the same operation in Windows (i.e. selected only a single display output - the TV), and, lo and behold, it finally worked: Now it's possible to direct the output to a single display only: the LG TV which was the original objective.

So what we/you learn from this:

1) apparently changes have been made to the beta driver

2) none (and I mean NONE) of the Intel drivers have been able to - correctly - identify and use the HDMI connection to the Denon Amp - which admittedly is old, but surely is meant to work and kind-of does). The Denon amp is always recognized as the output device in Intel's graphic driver, but oddly never in WIndows

as a stand-alone entity (i.e. you can't identify two separate displays with the "1" and "2" identifiers on the displays - that works in neither Intel's app nor in Windows - event though they will correctly identify both displays and their parameters).

I hope this session will help others in similar situations, but it appears there are still some issues surrounding the Intel graphics displays drivers - vis-a-vis hardware recognition and interaction with Windows.

I hope these issues will be resolved quickly, but in the meantime I thank everybody involved in the solution process.

Best regards,

Michael Gaihede

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Michael, thank you for sharing this solution. I will report this to the product team. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos