Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Cannot get more than 128MB of Dedicated Video Memory (laptop with Intel HD 520)

mfrank54
Beginner

Hi,

I am an experienced software developer specialized in graphics programming.

I currently own two computers:

- a late 2015 desktop computer with a i7-6700 processor (with Intel HD 530 graphics)
- a 2016 laptop computer with a i5-6300U processor (with Intel HD 520 graphics)

Both computers have 16GB of central memory and both have the latest Intel HD driver, as well as the latest system BIOS. The laptop is an HP 820 G3, with the latest may 2021 BIOS (N75 v1.52).

On the desktop computer, when I use an OpenGL application allocating 260MB of video memory, things succeed and run fine.
On the laptop computer, even though my BIOS setting is "Video memory size: 512 MB", the same application fails to run, reporting that the maximum size of an OpenGL memory allocation is 128MB.
I wrote a program to check things, and the maximum memory block size reported by OpenGL indeed is 128MB, which is just insanely low, and does not match my BIOS setting anyway.

I've read several messages here in this forum, and they definitely do not answer this question which is asked very often. I AM aware that dedicated memory is automatically increased by the driver. But this just does not work on my laptop.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

That is because DEDICATED memory is OLD SCHOOL.   It is controlled by your Dell bios.  Games that use DEDICATED video memory are also OLD SCHOOL.   Get the game manufacture to update their game.  No, DEDICATED memory is NOT automatically increased by the driver.   However, system memory is, and can increase to upto 50% of your SYSTEM memory:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics.html

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[This space reserved for the next Windows Vista, aka Windows 11]

0 Kudos
mfrank54
Beginner

Please stop lecturing me with technical details that I am fully aware of.

No matter what I do, regardless of what you call dedicated or central or whatever memory, the laptop DOES NOT MANAGE TO HONOR A 128MB OpenGL memory allocation. It's that simple. Period. The desktop computer DOES.

Latest BIOS.

Latest drivers.

No OpenGL application, in my case, can allocate more than 128MB of memory. The exact same application works fine on my desktop computer. Both computers use the exact same processor generation (Skylake), the same driver, and the same amount of central memory.

So what do you recommend?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Then, since it is Dell's bios and dell's setup for dedicated memory, you need to contact Dell.  And, since it works on another computer with the same processor (and same graphics), that should be a clue.

One other thing - if the dedicated setting in the bios were able to be changed by the driver or game, "dedicated" would not mean much, would it?

Recommendation?  Contact dell.

0 Kudos
mfrank54
Beginner

Wrong answer once again dude.

I made some investigations and it seems that Intel CHANGED the way things are handled over time wrt video memory.

Do you take that into account?

Basically, things USED to work with old drivers and/or BIOS configurations. I actually remember this used to work about 5 years ago.

I don't know if you are spending your time skimming the forums to blame computer vendors (which is suspicious...), but we, all, DO expect answers from Intel.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, dudd, have it your way.  For me, 49 years in the business, 13 years on this forum, I have seen it all.  You just do not like the answer, and you seem to be afraid to contact Dell, and you want to start insulting me. 

You have the answer.  Check with Dell.  Maybe update  your dell bios.

0 Kudos
mfrank54
Beginner

Intel changed the way memory should be handled by the BIOS several years after computers hit the market, and now we would need to blame Hewlett Packard for not updating their BIOS, years later?
Do you sincerely hope us to believe that the fault is the computer vendor's? Intel knows that computer vendors stop updating the BIOS after about one or two years. We do expect Intel to provide a solution for older computers when things were working in the first place!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, junior.  I meant to say HP, not Dell.

The bios belongs to the device manufacturer, not intel.  Yes, I sincerely want you to believe that vendors, all vendors, make errors in their bios, which is why they provide bios updates.  That vendors stop supporting their products is not intel's fault or problem.   And, that you expect intel to provide a solution is ludicrous. 

For all I know, you may have a memory problem that could be solved by you swapping memory.

Recycle that HP laptop and get something that is supported.  Wasting time on that laptop is never going to be productive.  Intel did not design the laptop, Intel did not make the laptop, intel did not make the bios.  Your support is with HP.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

My personal opinion is that no one should accept a system that does not come with a minimum 3 year warranty on the hardware and a guarantee - in writing - that the BIOS and drivers will be maintained for a minimum of 6 years. It is time for us to bring these slime balls to task. It is time for the consumer to take back control of this industry.

Not only do these slimeball vendors provide crappy warranties, they punt on providing the support that the purchasers actually pay for. Every time that they tell you to call Intel - which they are doing so they can pocket more of your hard-earned money - you should be telling them No, that this is *their* responsibility. They are the ones who provide you with a warranty; you do not have any warranty from Intel - but remember that they do!

Most important: When these vendors punt you to Intel, understand that they are *significantly* lowering the priority of your issue. When you come here, you do so with one voice (zero if you are being abusive - and that includes making demands) versus the many voices (sometimes millions) that stand behind these vendors when they bring an issue to Intel.

Off my soapbox now,

…S

0 Kudos
mfrank54
Beginner

It's always easy to lecture somebody who complains. Talking about killing a dog that barks too loud because he's in pain, right?

It simply is amazing to me that Intel can't provide a solution to this problem even though they pretty much engineer most components of the laptop's motherboard.

How come the vendor can screw things up this badly? How come can't any software fix such an immutable problem? Why on earth is the laptop's world so different from the desktop? I agree I should blame HP, but hey, Intel could educate the vendors, let alone design things in such a way that things get more durable for the consumer. I do blame Intel for this. Network adapters still work fine on my laptop. Audio drivers too. Intel owns the processor, the embedded graphics silicon, the chipset, and many other components. Indeed, I wonder what they don't own.
Why can't they reply here - to the TONS of messages they got about this issue - explaining the why's and how's ?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I have already explained to you that dedicated memory is a HP bios problem.  Again, HP owns the bios.   You lost that argument and are now trying to deflect a bunch of other issues on Intel.  And, it is not a lecture.  You just want to view it as such.

Good luck moving forward.

0 Kudos