Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Cannot increase vram memory after 2019 driver update

eEsek
Beginner

Before I updated my Intel HD 520 driver, I could increase my vram from registry, but after the update my vram size resetted itself back to 128mb from 512mb, ever since then I have tried to increase it but it wouldn't increase. What can I do​

PS. I have 4gb ram

Corei3 6006u (2.00ghz)​

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello eEsek,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities.

We do not provide any recommendations or support for changes on the Windows* registry since this can affect the operating system behaviors/performance. You may want to check with Microsoft® if they have any recommendations for these registry changes.

We know that you can perform the VRAM changes on the BIOS set up, so we recommend you to check with your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) if you can increase the VRAM size from the BIOS menu.

As well, I would like to know:

1. Which driver version are you trying to install?
  2. Which driver version was previously installed?

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos
SSen0
Beginner

I have the exact same problem as the OP. I have Intel Hd 530. Before, you were able to change the dedicated video memory you wanted windows to show by going into HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/Intel/GMM in registry and edit DedicatedSegmentSize there. But the last driver that worked with this method is the first UWP intel driver which is 25.20.100.6444 and any drivers before that. Any drivers after that doesnt work and doesnt show up for any value put into the registry. This has been a problem for the last 6 months and you guys havent even bothered fixing it. many of us use it to change the amount of memory shown to games, because some games are notorious to cache textures and it makes the game stutter. This issue was fixed by changing the registry value. But its not possible now. Please look into it. Is there any new registry path for this particular setting or what? Please help. This is real annoying.

0 Kudos
eEsek
Beginner

@sseno exactly what I am saying, and I am pretty sure Intel did something to stop us from changing vram values

0 Kudos
eEsek
Beginner

@Abigail_Intel

1. There is no option to change vram in bios

2. I don't know the previous version of driver but I updated it through device manger three days ago

3. The roll back driver option is blank

4. What can I do to solve my problem

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello eEsek,

Thank you for the information provided.

In this case, I would like to re-affirm that we do not provide support nor recommend modifying the Windows* Registry for the reasons that we've mentioned above.

Besides this, I would like to add some more details about the VRAM values:

5th generation and newer graphics controllers will dynamically allocate more VRAM as needed by the OS all the way up to one-half of the total system memory available. This is done automatically and without the need to do any registry modification. 

If you would like to confirm this information, please visit the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics-drivers.html

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos
ElColombia
Beginner
Actually, that is not something that alters the vram, but a fake number to limit this use that the system takes out of the ram, but the system does not do it right, and ends up using more memory than necessary, like some games, mainly from the open world, they end up with a bad operation, causing games to crash and even close, due to lack of ram memory, as it is unnecessary allocated on the video card, so we would like this function to work again, this does not cause any problem to the system on the contrary, it improves a lot.

@Abigail_Intel

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hi @ElColombia ,

You responded on a very old thread. If you need Intel support, please post a new question as this thread is not being monitored anymore. Kind regards,

Mary T.

Support Community Manager

0 Kudos