Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Cannot install latest Arc driver version -- lose display function

kmharring
New Contributor I
What I am trying to do: I am trying to upgrade the driver for my Intel UHD 750 display adapter. I've run scans of my system through Intel's Graphics Command Center and the Intel Driver and Support Assistant and both pieces of software recommend that I should be using the following Intel Driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html. See attached screenshots from Intel. In the past, I have had no problem updating to the latest Arc series driver from Intel. Until the last month or so when installations of the updates have started to fail. 
What is going wrong with Installation of Intel's recommended driver update: I have tried installing manually and using the Intel Driver and Support Assistant. In either case, when the installer gets to the point in the process where it says "installing new driver", the screen goes black and stays black (link to recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rT1STbT9BMRqE0otw9Ye4o6koZFZO0sq/view?usp=sharing). Afterwards, when I try to restart, after the Dell loading screen, I hear the windows startup sound but then all I see is a black screen. No display. In order to get my display back I have to reboot the system to a restore point. 

Additional diagnostic information: 
1) System information attached -- from Intel Driver and Support system scan
2) The proper driver cannot be found on the Dell Support website. When I enter my service tag, Dell provides a list of recommended drivers. The driver Dell recommends for my Intel UHD 750 graphics adapter is for a 10th Generation Intel Core processor. But I am running on an 11th Generation processor. It is not compatible with my system. See attached screenshot from the Dell support site. 
3) The driver that is currently installed for my Intel UHD 750 is an older version of the Intel Arc series driver from November, that was installed as part of a Microsoft update. Here is a link to information on that old version of the driver. When I right click on the UHD 750 adapter icon in my device manager and I click Update Driver > Search Automatically for Drivers, the search results say that "Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed. There may be better versions of the driver available on Windows Update or on the device manufacturer's website." Accordingly, I believe this may be a problem with Windows, since the latest Windows updates do not reflect the latest version of the driver that is recommended by Intel.

Troubleshooting that I've already attempted:  
1) I have reinstalled Windows 11 using installation media (flash drive method) -- no change
2) I have tried manually uninstalling the existing driver for the UHD 750 before attempting to install the update -- does not help
3) I have tried manually uninstalling all Intel graphics related programs, files etc. from my computer before installing the update -- does not help
4) I have confirmed that my system has Resizeable BAR enabled as recommended by Intel
5) I have updated BIOS
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello kmharring,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Please be advised that your Dell XPS 8940 is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) devices we will try to assist you with general troubleshooting steps even if it’s something not traditionally covered in our support. However, if the issue still persists, you will have to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer of your device. Your device manufacturer may have altered features, incorporated customizations, or with your system.

There is no need to enable Re-BAR on your system as you have the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 installed as your GPU. Enabling Re-BAR is only applicable if you have the Intel Arc discrete graphics installed for optimized performance.

Please be informed as well that Intel® only supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the driver software or software packaging.

However, if you wish to update the integrated graphics UHD 750 of your Intel processor, try it via clean installation and use DDU. Please follow article below for your reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello kmharring,

Were you able to check the previous post? Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello kmharring,

As I have not heard back from you regarding on our last comment post, we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
kmharring
New Contributor I

Sorry for the slow response. it's been a busy week. I haven't had a chance to try your suggested fix yet, but I will do so soon. If you don't see this, I'll start another post if I have any additional questions. 

Thanks

Keith 

0 Kudos