Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Cannot set my Lenovo ideapad 530s to 3440 x 1440 resolution on my 35" BenQ ultra wide monitor

JZitt3
Beginner

Hardware Details:

Laptop - Lenovo ideapad 530s-14IKB

Graphics Driver - UHD 620 supports 3440x1440 resolution

Bios Version: 7PCN43WW

Monitor - BenQ 35" ultra wide monitor supporting 3440x1440 resolution.

The laptop is connected to the monitor via the supplied HDMI cable from BenQ.

Software Details:

Intel UHD Graphics 620 Driver version 27.20.100.8190

Windows version: Windows 10 Home version 1909

Attachments:

1. Intel UHD 620 Graphics System Diagnostic
  2. Windows Advanced Display setting showing default recommended resolution of 2560x1080 & BenQ driver details
  3. List of valid resolution modes displayed in Windows showing that 3440x1440 is not available from the list

I attempted to create a custom 3440x1440 resolution in the Intel Graphics Command Center using all 4 timing methods but each time I tried to create the custom resolution I received this error: "Unable to add settings. Reason: Mode not supported"

Please let me know if there is something we can do to resolve this issue.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JZitt3

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you are not able to select the resolution of 3440x1440 on an external display through HDMI.

The Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers attached shows the "Supported Modes" of the display which passes this information to the graphics controller through the EDID information. The report shows that the BenQ 35" ultra-wide monitor supports 3440x1440@60p Hz and 3440x1440@100p Hz.

It is correct that the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 controller may support this resolution, however, this depends upon the video output that is in use and other facts. For instance, it supports a Max resolution of 4096x2304@60Hz for DisplayPort™ (DP), but only 4096x2304@24Hz for HDMI® 1.4. For more details please refer to Intel® UHD Graphics 620.

Also, actual capabilities for supported resolutions may vary from one system to another depending on system configuration. Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM, for instance, Lenovo™, DELL™, HP*, etc.) may limit functionality and features. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications.

Based on Ideapad 530S-14IKB Platform Specifications* this system comes with HDMI® 1.4 and this seems to be causing a limitation in the bandwidth required for the resolution you are trying to achieve. We can explain this using a Bandwidth Calculator, for instance, Kramer*.

Let's calculate some examples to have a baseline:

A- Resolution 4096x2304@60Hz 8bit (Max resolution supported for DP on Intel® UHD Graphics 620) >> Total Signal Bandwidth: 15.00 Gbps

B- Resolution 4096x2304@24Hz 8bit (Max resolution supported for HDMI® 1.4 on Intel® UHD Graphics 620) >> Total Signal Bandwidth: 6.00 Gbps

C- Resolution 3840x2160@30Hz 8bit >> Total Signal Bandwidth: 7.46 Gbps

Now, let's calculate the two resolutions (supported modes) your display supports:

D- Resolution 3440x1440@60Hz 8bit >> Total Signal Bandwidth: 8.92 Gbps

E- Resolution 3440x1440@100Hz 8bit >> Total Signal Bandwidth: 14.86 Gbps

Now, it is worth mentioning that the Max Effective Bandwidth for HDMI® 1.4 is 8Gbps, and for DisplayPort™ 1.2 it is 17.28Gbps. Having said that, the Graphics controller and physical video outputs would handle the higher resolutions (A, D, E) through DisplayPort™, but they will not be available for HDMI® 1.4 due to bandwidth limitations, only B & C would be available for HDMI® 1.4. This should explain why you are not able to select those resolutions for 3440x1440@100Hz and 3440x1440@60Hz and also why you are not able to select a custom resolution since your display only supports 2 modes for 3440x1440.

In other scenarios, you might be able to reach the desired resolution, for instance, using HDMI® 2.0 or using USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2/USB 3.2 Type-C with "DisplayPort Alternate Mode". However, the Ideapad 530S-14IKB Platform Specifications* does not show information about HDMI® 2.0 support nor USB Type-C™ with "DisplayPort Alternate Mode" or video capability. We recommend checking this further with Lenovo™ Support.

If your display had supported lower refresh rates with 3440x1440 resolution, you (maybe) would have been able to select the resolution from the drop-down list showing supported modes.

Should you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JZitt3

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you have additional inquiries. We also recommend checking with your OEM to confirm actual capabilities for this system regarding supported features, available video output bandwidth, etc.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
JZitt3
Beginner

Hi Andrew, I have not been able to resolve the issue with my Lenovo laptop, but I agree it is probably a limitation of the laptop and cable specs itself that is preventing the ability to show the 3440x1440 resolution. I have an HP Elitebook 840 that I use for work with the same graphics card and I was able to get the HP laptop to display 3440x1440 using the supplied USB-C cable that came with the BenQ monitor. I appreciate the technical info you supplied in your mail. It was very informative. I guess I will have to live with the lower resolution on the Lenovo going forward since the HDMI and USB-C ports on the Lenovo do not seem to support the 3440 x 1440 resolution.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JZitt3

Thank you for your response and we are glad to know the information provided was useful. We understand this seems to be a bandwidth/hardware limitation and we kindly recommend confirming this further with your OEM.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
cjones8
Beginner

Dear Andrew,

I have had the same issue. I am using a 34 inch wide gigabyte external monitor. screen: https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Monitor/G34WQC/sp#sp

Linked via HDMI to a lenovo think pad using the same intel UHD Graphics 620 with intel core i5-8350u CPU @1.7ghz. 8gb RAM, 64 bit OS. Withtouch support with 10 touch points.

Prior to a windows update which my laptop initiated on 19/02/21 i was using the external display with 3440x1440 and it worked like a charm at that resolution altered through graphics command center.

However once the update kicked in and the laptop restarted i could not get windows or the graphics command center to do better than 2560 x1440 for the external gigabyte monitor.

I have tried different HMI cables, updating drivers, 3rd party software to change the resolution and nothing has worked. I am having trouble rolling back this windows update. I see no reason why such an update should have made this change. The 3440x1440 is no longer listed as an option anywhere. 

Do you know why this has happened and how to fix it? why did it support it and now does not?

Many thanks

Craig

0 Kudos