Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Cant open Intel HD Graphics control panel.

JMcha
Beginner

Just a few things to better understand my situation:

I've got a new MSI GE72M VR Apache Pro Laptop. Ever since I updated it to the latest windows version, my laptop screen would almost on every startup remain black. I figured why not connect it to a monitor and so I did and it worked perfectly on my TV, its then that I realized It's a driver issue. I downloaded Intel driver and support assistant and Voila! An update for the HD graphics software appeared. After downloading and installing the driver my laptop worked for a few weeks and the control panel opened without any problems, the issue came back. Upon reading all the threads about this issue in the community, I uninstalled the driver and the control panel via the apps and features and device manager and reinstalled them. No problem with the driver, the only issue is that after reinstalling the Control Panel via Microsoft Store, this message appears : "Unable to launch the application. None of the connected displays are using the Intel Graphics Driver" Although I did go to the Nvidia control panel and it says that the laptop screen monitor is connected to the driver. Now I can't use my MSI Color settings and adjust the saturation because the control panel does not open.

Can anyone be of any help and tell me how to get the control panel to work again ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You have a laptop with hybrid graphics. In this case, you should only be using drivers provided by your laptop vendor. By loading the generic drivers from the Intel site, you have probably screwed up your laptop considerably. Uninstall everything and get back to the drivers from your vendor. If they have a problem, tell your vendor; it is *their* responsibility to correct. We can't help you here.

...S

0 Kudos
JMcha
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. To what extent do you mean "I screwed up my laptop"? Like irreversible damage? Even with a format?

N.B: It was acting this way from the day I bought it but not as frequent as it did lately. And that was my main reason to update, which led to this whole mess.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! No, not that bad. Here's the issue. The vendor may have modified the drivers to support special features of his hardware design. This includes supporting automatic and manual switching between which graphics engine is active. None of these features are going to be supported by the unmodified drivers on the Intel site, so things, like switching, will not work properly. This is why I say get back to the driver provided by the vendor.

Once you get back to the latest drivers they have provided, if it is still acting badly, then get in the vendor's face and ask them to fix it. It is their design; they are responsible for drivers for their design. You need to be assertive with them; they will attempt to pass the buck to the component hardware vendors (Intel and NVIDIA); do not let them. Again, it is THEIR responsibility. If there is a problem in the drivers, then it is they who must approach Intel, through their support account, and ask Intel to look at it. Don't let them pass the buck.

...S

0 Kudos