Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20895 Discussions

Change default display scale settings for new monitors

JackCl
Beginner

In IGCC I am able to change the Scale setting to "Stretched" manually, but this is only applied to that single monitor.

Is there a way to change this settings default value so it is automatically set to "Stretched" when a new unconfigured display is connected?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello JackCl, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in response. We understand your time is valuable and are working diligently to address your concerns promptly.

To help you with this, please tell me more about the display configuration that you are seeing such as the monitor used and the port that you are using . Could you please provide us with a screenshot as well of the IGCC interface as it appears on your screen? Your visual aid will greatly assist us in understanding the issue better. We look forward to your response.

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello JackCl,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the questions we posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter. 

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
JackCl
Beginner

Hi Norman, Ramyer,

Thank you for reaching back out.

I am using a DisplayPort (DP) from the mainboard, into a DVI adapter, and using the DVI port on the display.

I do not currently have a screenshot of the IGCC interface on my machine, however this image I have copied from the internet shows an accurate representation.

I am interested in the Scale setting highlighted in red below.

scale setting examplescale setting example

I believe this option also changes the Scaling key in the Windows registry at this path:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\*\*\*

A PowerShell version of what I want to achieve would loop through each folder in the above registry path and change the Scaling value to (for example) 3.

But I wish to only use PowerShell as a last resort, as this method does not apply the change to all displays that will be connected in the future as the registry key is unique to that monitor, and only present if the monitor is/has already been connected, requiring the script to be run each time the connected display is changed.

I am asking if this functionality is possible within the IGCC utility, or a similar tool, to change the scaling permanently for all displays, including ones that have not yet been connected.

Hope this helps 🙂

Best regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, JackCl.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I would like to jump in and try to help with some of the points you mentioned.

Unfortunately, the Intel Graphics Command Center (IGCC) does not provide an option to set a default scale setting for new monitors that would apply to all future displays. The scale setting within IGCC typically applies to the specific monitor you are configuring at that time. You may visit this link for more information: Scale Options Are No Longer Available After Updating the Intel® Graphics Command Center.

In the meantime, if you decide to use PowerShell, it's true that you would need to run the script each time a new display is connected to update the registry settings for that specific monitor. However, I'd like to know whether you've considered downloading and utilizing IGCC beta to see if you can automatically set this setting to "Stretched" when a new unconfigured display is connected.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
JackCl
Beginner

Hi Von,

Thanks for your reply.

I did not consider using the beta version until you mentioned it.
I have downloaded it and I still cannot find any options to change this setting.

Are you aware of any other utilities which may be able to do this?

Also I ask incase I go with the PowerShell option, I found that the display scale only changes after a reboot.
Is there any quicker way to make the registry modification to take effect?

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, JackCl.

Thank you for your response.

I understand that the beta version didn't provide the solution we were hoping for. Regarding other utilities, there are various options, depending on your specific requirements. Regarding the PowerShell method, registry modifications usually necessitate a reboot for the changes to apply. Additionally, we'd like to delve deeper and verify specifics like the graphics models, precise driver versions, and any system errors. Utilizing the Intel SSU tool will enable us to collect detailed information about your system setup, which could aid in identifying the underlying cause of this issue.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
JackCl
Beginner

Hi Von,

Could you provide some examples of utilities which may be able to do this?
I am not familiar with what tools that are available.

My requirements are to change the display scaling value to stretched automatically.
The IGCC tool does work, but it is missing the ability to do this automatically.

I have attached a file from the SSU tool, let me know if this helps.

One issue I have not noticed until now is the registry method only applies to the HDMI port.

I have 1x HDMI, 2x DisplayPort

Is this expected behavior? Is there any extra steps I am missing for DisplayPort?

Best regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello, JackCl.

Thank you for providing the SSU file. I'll review it to see if there are any specific configurations or settings that could be impacting the behavior on the DisplayPort. A few instances include Custom Resolution Utility (CRU). CRU allows you to create custom resolutions and refresh rates for your monitor. While it's primarily used for custom resolutions, it might offer options for scaling as well. PowerStrip. PowerStrip is a powerful display utility that offers a wide range of customization options, including display scaling. It may provide the functionality you're looking for. DisplayFusion. While DisplayFusion is primarily known for its multi-monitor management features, it also offers some display scaling options that could be worth exploring. However, please note that these tools are third-party utilities, and we are not endorsing or recommending their use. We're simply providing them as potential options for your consideration.

Regarding the issue with the registry method only applying to the HDMI port and not the DisplayPort, this behavior might be expected depending on how your system is configured. Additional steps might be necessary to apply the registry changes to the DisplayPort as well. It's possible that the registry keys for DisplayPort are different or require a separate configuration. I'll investigate this further to provide you with more detailed instructions.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello, JackCl.

I trust you're doing well.
I have not heard back from you, we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored or you may contact us via this link: Intel.com/support

Best regards,
Von M.

0 Kudos