Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Cherry Trail driver keeps crashing/black screen

ZHabl
Beginner

I have a Microsoft Surface 3 128GB/4GB RAM with an Intel Atom X7-Z8700. The machine at times will stop working and show a black screen (and sometimes a screeching sound from the speakers) when on the desktop and most often while watching a video online (in chrome, I have tried other browsers with the same result). To me this appears as if there is an issue with the Intel HD Graphics (as it looks like the driver crashes, but never recovers) and upon removing the intel driver (and using the basic Microsoft display adapter) the machine works fine, except that in sleep mode the screen's backlight stays on.

Does anyone know if this is just a software issue or more driver related? or any other ideas to check what errors I'm getting to further diagnose it? Microsoft support was not much help.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello zhable,

I understand that your unit is getting random crashes and also shows a black screen.

Regarding this, I would like to start by recommending a clean installation of the latest driver released for your product. Please follow the steps below:

1 - Download the .zip driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-

2 - Disconnect the computer from the internet.

3 - Go to device manager and check under display adapters.

4 - Right-click on the Intel ® Integrated Graphics, select the option uninstall and keep going until you only have Microsoft's basic display adapter.

5 - Unzip the file you downloaded previously.

6 - Right-click on the Microsoft's basic display adapter and select "Update driver".

7 - Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software.

8 - Select the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

9 - Select the option "Have disk".

10 - Select the option "Browse".

11 - Access the designated location or folder where you unzipped the driver downloaded and access a folder called "Graphics".

12 - Select the setup information file (Typically named either "idglh64" or "igdlh").

13 - Click on open and then click OK, finally click Next and the drivers will begin to install.

14 - Reboot your computer when the installation is completed.

Once this is done, check to see if the crashes/black screen problems continue.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ZHabl
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion, but it appears the issue still occurs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello zhable,

Thank you for your response.

Since that did not work, what I can recommend is to use the drivers directly from the Original Manufacturer of your system, in this case Microsoft*. You can get the drivers in the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023482/surface-download-drivers-and-firmware-for-surface https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023482/surface-download-drivers-and-firmware-for-surface

*Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there.*

Make sure to select the most accurate model and then download the drivers. Once downloaded, please follow the steps followed before to do a clean install (Including disconnecting from the internet) but this time use the drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ZHabl
Beginner

I've tried using their drivers from that site and from Windows Update and both have the same issue occur.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello zhable,

I can see that it is not even working with the ones provided by the manufacturer. In this case, I will need more information of the software and operating system installed in the device. Please provide me with the DxDiag, you can create it by following the steps below:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ZHabl
Beginner

I have run this twice, once with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and the other with the latest Intel HD Graphics Driver (15.40.38.4963)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello zhable,

I was double-checking the information you have provided me and there are two possible issues here. Either an operating system problem, or a hardware problem. In this case what I can recommend you to do is to contact Microsoft so they can either, help you re-installing or recovering the Operating System, or , check the hardware for you.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello zhable,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to get in contact with your system's manufacturer?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Dkk
Beginner

I have the same issue on my Z8300 tablet. Screen gets black randomly and recovers itself. I tried many drivers but every each of them fail. That is not a hardware issue, its the Intel drivers.

Intel,

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If you want to continue to use the forum, watch your language.

Doc

0 Kudos
Dkk
Beginner

Sorry, but that issue is really annoying. I wish Intel would fix it, my guess is a memory issue.

It happens when I have some Chrome tabs open and search on Pond5 for stock videos. After looking at many of those video previews, it happens. The time is random, sometimes it happens after 1 minute of using pond5 and sometimes 20 minutes. Then the screen goes black and after sometime it recovers. My system is 32 bit and I have 2 GB ram.

And yes, I already installed many graphics drivers, my drivers are up to date, my windows version is up to date, no missing drivers in device manager etc etc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dampf

Thank you for joining the thread.

I recommend creating a new thread to isolate you case and system configuration, please make sure you add the information of the system model and specs, detail information of the problem that you are having, plus all the information that you have added to this thread, so we can get more information about the problem.

Please share with us the information requested on the following link:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Thank you; hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos