Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Combine Desktop

AlexPo99
Beginner

Hi All,

my NUC is really unstable at 5120x1440 so i use an hdmi with usb-c then use the combine function within the command center to bring it all back and which seems stable. my problem however is that each night when i switch off the monitor (i leave nuc on because i have stuff running all night) the combine has switched off and i need to reset all my windows again...painful...i'm wondering if its to do with some sort of powersave or something somewhere? any tips would be much apreciated!!

cheers

Alex

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AlexPo99, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system. 

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer 
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link.  

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the report(s) to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities. 

3. Are you using any adapter/converter for the HDMI to USB-C connection or is it a straight cable? Please provide the brand and model of the adapter (if any). 

4. Provide the brand and model number of the monitor used.  

5. You mentioned you are using 5120x1440, can you confirm what is the refresh rate? 

6. Could you also specify what do you mean by "unstable"? What is the behavior? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
lEdge
New Contributor I

I just don't know how to answer that question friendly. It's a drop rating. By unstable I assume you mean OS crashes. That usually means your Windows projector settings are bad. And most information you can find is the registry editor options. Your choice if that's what you like.

I have a similar problem with the back USB ports as they interrupt the keyboard when there is a hard disk connected. HAT problem, just use a different port.

0 Kudos
AlexPo99
Beginner

sorry - i should have been a bit clearer, when using just the usb-c under 5120x1440 using youtube or any other video causes 

a) the video to start breaking up into lines and is un viewable

b) the monitor then trips out too (its a dell u4919dw)

cheers

Alex

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AlexPo99,  

Thank you for your reply. 

I would like to clarify that the maximum supported resolution for this NUC is 4096x2304@60Hz via DisplayPort (DP). While 5120x1440 is not considered a typical 5K (5120x2880), it takes less bandwidth than 4K@60Hz. However, the horizontal resolution of 5120 is taken as 5K by Intel drivers. Our first recommendation will be to lower the resolution to the range of supported ones. 

Also, this 5120x1440 resolution needs two display ports to function properly; panels with 5K and 1 display port are not supported by Intel, as they have never been verified or tested internally. 

You may want to check with the display manufacturer for more information about their display. In fact, for Dell* U4919DW monitor issues, you can check this Dell* Support information found under "Common Troubleshooting Steps" > "Horizontal stripes when watching online videos using Microsoft Movies & TV app, Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge" https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000175279/dell-u4919dw-monitor-usage-and-troubleshooting-guide 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AlexPo99,   

Thanks for your internal response. 

We received your e-mail asking if it is possible to stop the behavior of the combine mode swtiching off after the monitors torun off. 

I would like to let you know that this behavior is condiered normal and expected: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056890/graphics.html  

When using a collage mode, and one of the display is turned off, after turning it back on the collage is disabled and the display is rearranged.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AlexPo99,  

Were you able to check our previous response? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M

0 Kudos
AlexPo99
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

Yes thanks for the reply, although it wasn't what i wanted to hear!! seems the behavior that is "by design" is an anti feature that causes a lot of people a lot of pain(me included)!!

ill check the specs more carefully next time i order a NUC.. just waiting for the 11's to come out which presumably shouldn't suffer in the same way!

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello AlexPo99,   

Thank you for your reply and feedback, it is appreciated. 

Hopefully, coming generation NUCs will work as you expect. We will proceed to close this inquiry from our side; however, if you have any additional questions, please post a new thread and we will gladly assist you.

Regards,   

Sebastian M

0 Kudos