Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Computer does not meet minimum requirements?

LHass4
Beginner

Hi all,

I have just been given a second hand PC from my brother and am attempting to edit some videos for work on Premiere Pro. My laptop handles rendering better than the PC, when the PC graphics card should be 400% better. I have a GeForce GTX 960 graphics card (that keeps showing up as a 980 for some reason, but that's another story), however every time I open Premiere the System Compatability Report says I have an 'unsupported video driver'.

When I click "Fix..." it brings me to a page to download the latest version of Intel HD Graphics 4600, but the latest I can get is 20.19.15.5126. [The Intel Driver Support Assistant says my drivers and software are up to date]. I have a 4th gen processor (i7 4770 CPU @3.40GHz) and according to some forums, apparently I need a minimum 6th gen processor to download and install the version of Intel Graphics.

Is there any other solution to this that doesn't require me to buy a whole new processor? They are very expensive and I really just need reasonable rendering times.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I am having trouble understanding which system you need help with. Do not combine this discussion with two different systems.

WHy your gtx 960 is showing up as a gtx 980 is a qustion for nvidia.

The latest driver for your i7-4770 processor is 5126 and can be found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29474/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-

You have a 4th gen processor and it has nothing to do with 6th gen processors or later. 6th gen and later processor can use the new DCH drivers, which have nothing to do with a 4th gen processor.

You did not mention your OS for the i7-4770.

Purchasing a new processor is not going to help you.

Did you do a clean install of the OS on the i7-4770 machine, or are you carrying a lot of leftovers?

How much memory is on the i7-4770 machine?

If it were me, I would make sure the i7-4770 machine was wiped clean, had adequate memory, a clean disk, and a complete, clean W10 OS install. I would not install anything else except your graphics rendering software. If you still have problems, then the machine is simply not powerful enough.

Doc

0 Kudos
LHass4
Beginner

It was this forum that mentioned the 6th gen requirement: https://forums.intel.com/s/feed/0D50P00004f1XT9SAM?language=en_US

I am on Windows 10 64-bit with 8gb of DDR3 ram.

I did not do a clean install of the OS, but we did delete everything from the old user account, and we did a clean install of all drivers with DDU.

It just seems like the reason my computer isn't able to download the latest Intel Graphics Driver is due to the outdated processor.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

ok. download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file (using the paperclip under the toolbar).

Doc

0 Kudos
LHass4
Beginner

Here you go, I also installed the latest driver you sent.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am glad you have it installed. However, I can see that you have dual graphics (nvidia and Intel) in your laptop. For the dual graphics, you have to use both the Intel driver AND the nvidia driver provided by Gigabyte.

Otherwise, you lose customizations and switching.

Go back to GIGABYTE and use their drivers.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So the SSU report is for the desktop system, which contains Z87 chipset, i7-4770 processor and GTX 980 graphics (or 960, if that is what is really is, but matters not).

First step is to uninstall the Intel Driver & Support Assistant; it is almost completely useless for systems this old.

Second step is to manually download the Intel HD Graphics driver package (from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29474/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-).

Third step is to manually download the NVIDIA driver package (from here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/159887).

Finally, use this special process to clean out graphics drivers and install the downloaded ones:

1. Disconnect the PC from the Internet by unplugging Ethernet cable.
  2. In Apps & Features applet, scroll down and find the Intel Graphics Driver package. Uninstall this package. If it asks for a reboot at the end, say no.
  3. Find the entry for the NVIDIA Graphics Driver package. Uninstall this package as well.
  4. Reboot, keeping internet disconnected.
  5. In Device Manager, open the Display adapters section. If there is no entry that is titled Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 and no entry that is titled NVIDIA GeForce GTX..., go to Step 9.
  6. If there is one, right-click on the entry for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 and select Uninstall Device. In the dialog that appears, checkmark Delete the driver software for this device and then click on Uninstall. If it asks for a reboot at the end, say no.
  7. If there is one, right-click on the entry for NVIDIA GeForce GTX... and select Uninstall Device. In the dialog that appears, checkmark Delete the driver software for this device and then click on Uninstall.
  8. Go to Step 4.
  9. Click on the .EXE file to install the Intel HD Graphics driver package downloaded earlier.
  10. Reboot, keeping internet disconnected.
  11. Click on the .EXE file to install the NVIDIA GeForce driver package downloaded earlier.
  12. Reboot.
  13. Reconnect Internet by plugging Ethernet cable back in.
  14. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos