Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Connecting

MadD0GAndy1974
Beginner
I own a gaming PC Laptop which has intel core 7 and a RTX GeForce 3070 gpu with a 15.6 FHD display with a refresh rate of 240hz. I recently bought an 8K Samsung NEO QLED QN700a smart tv and the game mode is automatically 8K@60hz/4K@120hz. I like to connect my laptop to the tv for the upscale in display resolution and the tv I had before the new was 4K@60hz and I used a 8K@60hz/4K@120hz hdmi cable and my laptop worked and looked brilliant on the tv. BUT little did I know at the time that the laptop’s HDMI port can only output 4K@60hz and according to the manufacturer of my laptop (MSI) they reckon the 120hz on game mode put strain on my laptop by forcing out more fps than what the laptop hdmi can handle which resulted in the screen going black for a few seconds repeatedly and getting worse the longer I play games. The USB port is type C which unless I’m mistaking is capable of the output, now if I used a hdmi 2.1 USB adapter would that help ? Or if I bought a hdmi cable that only goes up to 4K@60hz would that work ?
I’m also planning on buying the GeForce RTX 3090ti GPU and a razer blade case for it to go in and if I connected the hdmi 2.1 cable to my tv and GPU which has 2.1 hdmi ports would that work or would any of those ideas I suggested just damage things ?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello MadD0GAndy1974,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information:

• Confirm the full model of your processor?
  • Are you trying to set the configuration to 8K@60Hz or 4K@120Hz?

In theory, if you connect the GeForce RTX 3090ti GPU through an HDMI 2.1 cable to the TV, it should be able to display 4K@120Hz, unless there are some board restrictions.

- HDMI 2.1 Max bandwidth: Up to 48Gbps.

- 8K@60Hz: 59.72 Gbps

- 4K@120Hz: 35.64 Gbps

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos