Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Correcting unsupported resolution on HD 4400 graphics/945 chipset configuration?

RCamp7
Beginner

I own an Acer TravelMate P645-MG-9419 running 64-bit Win7 Pro. This laptop features and i7-4500U and two graphics adapters. I think it uses the Intel 945 Chipset. The one of concern for this post is the internal HD 4400. This used when we set up the laptop to stream video. Unfortunately, I recently selected the incorrect the screen resolution for our external monitor (i.e., a 1080p LCD TV) and I have been unable to restore this functionality to the VGA output port. I consistently receive the message "Mode Not Supported" on our LCD TV when attempting to correct my error.

My inquiries elsewhere have not identified a solution for this error so, I thought I should consider and Intel forum.

I have attempted to following potential solutions to resolve this complication:

1 - Treat the connection as an external projector but, this has proved to be unsuccessful as well.

2 - Safe Mode boot yet, the laptop lost the ability to recognize a connection to the VGA port.

Is it feasible removing the HD 4400 driver and reinstalling it might offer a solution? What about the possibility of removing the HD 4400 adapter instance in the Device Manager and letting Windows re-install it after a reboot? I am capable of a USB boot to access the HD or perhaps BIOS but, am uncertain what I could change that would provide a solution to my problem.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

ravc: We will assist you with this scenario.

The resolutions available are directly related to the graphics driver, so yes, to re-install the graphics driver will be a good option to try.

We recommend to install the driver provided by the manufacturer of the laptop, in this case Acer, since that driver was manufactured to work with your specific platform.

I looked for the driver in Acer's web site, and there are two graphics drivers available, one for Intel and the other one for AMD,the Intel driver version is 10.18.10.3355, but you can always try to install both to try to fix this problem:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/5032%3Fb%3D1 https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/5032?b=1

Since the processor works with Intel® HD Graphics 4400, we can also test the Intel generic driver version 15.40.41.5058:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28163/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-%3Fproduct%3D81497 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28163/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81497

Also, as you mentioned, you can also use the "inbox" graphics driver, the one that is provided by Microsoft.

Are you sure the VGA cable is properly connected?

What is the model of the monitor?

Do you have another VGA cable to test it?

Do you have the option to use another monitor or TV?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RCamp7
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Thank you for responding to my need for assistance. I can answer your questions effectively.

The laptop, an Acer TMP645-MG-9419, VGA port has been tested one another yet, newer LED flat panel monitor. This is the Dell U2412Mb (https://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u2412m/pd Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor: U2412M | Dell ). All went well with this trial despite the fact that it was superficial. By superficial I mean I merely plugged the VGA cable connected to the U2412Mb into the TMP645 VGA port and the Dell monitor worked fine. No adjustments required. I have also successfully used an older laptop, a Lenovo ThinkPad X201, with the TV/monitor, an LG LN-T4061F, and the VGA cable we leave connected to the LN-T4061F for streaming purposes. Additionally, I also have another Samsung 1080p LCD monitor of a similar vintage to our LN-T4061F. This is the T260HD but, I have not connected the Acer TMP645 to the T260HD as of yet. I am currently using the T260HD with my X201 to respond to you.

I will try your suggestions and let you know if I am able to make progress. Thank you again for your involvement.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ravc: You are very welcome. Sure, no problem, once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ravc: I just wanted to check if you were able to try our suggestions and if the issue persists after that?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
RCamp7
Beginner

Hello Roberto,

I hope your holidays were enjoyable. I had the time to attempt to resolve this situation during my holiday break. However, I am sorry to inform you that uninstalling the existing driver (i.e., Microsoft?) and replacing this with the Asus driver you located for me did not resolve this issue. I was surprised to learn this was my result. Are their other ideas I can attempt? I am willing to make the effort.

However, I must convey to you and any interested reader that I think our household is in a better or, possibly the best position we could be in. The reason for this statement is that my LCD TV (i.e. Samsung LN-T4061F) allows owners to define the HDMI input. I found this post on the Support section of Samsung's website for my TV

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/tv-audio-video/hdmi-pc-connection-text-is-fuzzy-image-is-not-clear/

This explains that owners should go into the TV menu to rename their HDMI input with reference to the computer they are connecting to the HDMI port (i.e., MUST BE HDMI #1 according to this note) and the test appearing in menu's clears up. I made this change last evening prior to streaming a movie for the family and this resulted in us having the best possible picture because, we used the HDMI port and the audio out was defined as the "headphone" port of the laptop (TMP-645MG). Therefore, we were able to use this pc audio output as an analog input to our stereo! The result was an excellent picture coupled with the best possible sound!

Rick

0 Kudos