Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20496 Discussions

D435 depth image is unusable.

DRich37
Beginner

Data from visualizer is unusable. Very noisy. Tried updating firmware, drivers, SDK, nothing helps. No settings help either. High density, custom etc. Calibration tool just hangs when I hit the calibrate button. It detects the device and lists some information about it but just hangs after that.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you are using the calibration function within the RealSense Viewer software, it is a lightweight function meant for quick adjustments. The full, more powerful calibration tool for the 400 Series cameras, the Dynamic Calibrator, is available from the ink below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28517/Intel-RealSense-D400-Series-Calibration-Tools-and-API

If you are using Linux, installation instructions for the Linux version of the tool are available on page 14 of the calibrator's user guide document.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026723/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology.html

Intel's camera tuning guide is also well worth reading if you have not seen it already.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/BKMs_Tuning_RealSense_D4xx_Cam.pdf

0 Kudos
DRich37
Beginner

Hi Marty, my image in the visualization is still very noisy after trying the tuning guide. Should I return the camera or is there anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
DRich37
Beginner

Also, the calibration tool I was using is the one you mentioned. It's the one that just hangs.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You should ensure that the camera is not too close to the object that is being observed (that is, closer than the camera's minimum depth sensing distance) or the image will progressively break up more and more as the camera gets closer to the object, and improve as the camera is moved away.

If you have fluorescent light sources (such as ceiling strip lights) in the location that the camera is being used in then this may create noise on the image, as the gas inside the light flickers at frequencies hard to see with the human eye. If you have fluorescent lights, running the camera at an FPS speed close to the operating frequency of those lights may help. for some lights it is 30 FPS and for others it is 60 FPS.

Also, turning off the Auto-Exposure option in the RealSense Viewer will indicate whether your noise problems are related to the auto-exposure function.

0 Kudos
DRich37
Beginner
I’ve done both. I’ve moved the camera around the room. I’ve tried all different refresh rates. It’s still extremely noisy and can’t see very far.
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Are you using the short USB cable that was supplied with the camera or your own choice of cable, please?

Are the ASIC and Projector temperature readings in the Viewer options side-panel greater than '30'? The temperature would typically be mid to late 20's from a cold start. If the temperature read as 35 or higher, this would suggest a problem. Is the camera casing hot when touched?

Have you adjusted the 'Disparity Shift' value? Increasing it would reduce the maximum depth sensing distance of the camera, making details that are further away break up and then disappear.

0 Kudos
DRich37
Beginner

Using the short USB cable supplied. Temperature less than 30. Disparity Shift at its lowest setting. I believe it's the default setting.

0 Kudos
DRich37
Beginner

We are supposed to have a client demo by the end of this week. Is there a way to get a working unit before then?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you bought the camera from a brick store (not online) and bought it was than 30 days ago then you could try taking it back to the store for a same day replacement if they have one in stock.

Otherwise, the best option may be to buy a new one from a retailer with next day courier delivery such as Amazon and then return the original camera for a money refund to get the cost back, if the camera is less than 30 days old.

0 Kudos
DRich37
Beginner
It’s more than 30 days old. We purchased it a while ago but have only recently had the opportunity to test it. D.
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

We should focus on improving the image then.

In situations with bad depth noise, activating multiple post-processing filters in the RealSense Viewer can provide a quick fix. ​

0 Kudos
DRich37
Beginner

Post-processing on or off makes no difference.

Is there a brick-and-mortar store in Manhattan?

0 Kudos
DRich37
Beginner

Post-processing on or off yields no difference.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Have you tried turning off the IR Emitter to reduce error? This component projects a semi random dot pattern onto the room, and​ the IR stream can operate without it as long as the light in the room is good.

It would be helpful if you could please post images of your depth / IR streams so that I can see what you are seeing.

0 Kudos