Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

DVI broken?

DaLucsta
Novice

Hi all.

Update Asus BIOS: OK

DaLucsta_0-1629234906415.png

HDD format: OK

Fresh install Windows 10 Home (+ license)

DaLucsta_1-1629235155817.png

Video card OK (?)

DaLucsta_2-1629235315735.png

No errors in Device Manager

DaLucsta_3-1629235549102.png

Why does my second monitor (on DVI) not work? My other monitor (on VGA. number 1) is OK.

What am I missing or not doing right?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Luc

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DaLucsta
Novice

Pfff...... it's working.

It was quite a puzzle because of the hardware I was using.

MON1: VGA + Display Port

MON2: VGA + DVI

PC: VGA =+ DVI

Cables at hand: 2 x cable VGA(m/m) + 1 cable HDMI - DVI (laptop's second monitor)

Couldn't figure out how to connect it in a way it would function. I decided to purchase a DVI - Display Port cable. Didn't work.

Had to wait today for connector HDMI - DVI.

For the first time, I heard "Pling-Plong" from the PC. `Ah, it must be alive.", I thought; the set was working!

Apparently the monitor's Display Port was broken.......

Strange thing since I only heard the "Pling-Pling" when I started to use the DVI-HDMI connector, together with my HDMI cable + DVI connector (used for the second monitor on my laptop). As if the DVI part from my PC's graphic card first had to be initiaded through a proper (genuine?) HDMI cable?

Anyway the system is running. I really wanted to get it going because I had the stuf for free and, althoug it's not an Intel i9 processor, it still could be worth while.

Thank you for your time!

Bye,

Luc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

We need more information. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos
DaLucsta
Novice

Hi Scot,

Thanks for your swift reply.

Please find attached the file you requested.

Regards,

Luc Richter

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not seeing anything that stands out in the report. Can you run the tool again, this time selecting all of the data categories? This will give us Event Log entries. Generating report from DXDIAG tool might tell us more as well.

...S

0 Kudos
DaLucsta
Novice

Hi Scott,

Thanks again.

Please find attached SSE ASUS3II.

Luc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Nope, nothing jumps out at me in this version of the report either.

Either (a) the monitor on the DVI interface is not being seen at all or (b) it is being seen but the display is blank. Are you seeing entries for two monitors in Device Manager?

...S

0 Kudos
DaLucsta
Novice

Hi Scott,

No, as you can see below in the partial printscreen, a second monitor is not showed.

The word ´Beeldscherm´ means ´Display Settings´.

DaLucsta_0-1629261926778.png

Can it be concluded 'the DVI part from the video card' is broken,  since the VGA-monitor (the first) does to be working?

And that's what occurs strange to me since the system, even the SSU report (!), doesn't show any errors?

Please, enlighten me?

Thanks anyway for your time and effort!

Luc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, it may be that the DVI capability is damaged. I have also seen cases where, if a VGA and a DVI connector are both offered, only one of them can actually be used at a time. Have you tried using only the DVI connector?

...S

0 Kudos
DaLucsta
Novice

Had that that checked wilt a DVI (PC) - Display Port (Mon) - cable. Not working. Will check also DVI (PC) - DVI (Mon) - cable. Will let you know (have to wait for adapter).

I really think it's broken; connected the monitor as a third monitor to my Asus laptop (Windows 10 Home). Working just fine!

Luc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You didn't answer me. Have you tried using only the DVI connector?

...S

0 Kudos
DaLucsta
Novice

I don't understand! I'm sure I answered you!

The thing I said was that I tried that already with another monitor and different cable (didn't work by the way). Even managed to connect the partcicular monitor (meant to become the second monitor on my Asus system) as a third monitor on my laptop (VGA). In fact, it was even quite thrilling to experience the easy of connecting and see that it even worked! Even my laptop Windows 10 Home showed nicely the three monitors.

Anyhow, so much for the monitor working. I have to wait for a new DVI-HDMI adapter wich will be deliverd tomorrow .

Will keep you posted of course.Will also try to find my missing reply...

Luc

0 Kudos
DaLucsta
Novice

Ah, I understand. I must have clicked the wrong REPLY button, sorry...

0 Kudos
DaLucsta
Novice

Pfff...... it's working.

It was quite a puzzle because of the hardware I was using.

MON1: VGA + Display Port

MON2: VGA + DVI

PC: VGA =+ DVI

Cables at hand: 2 x cable VGA(m/m) + 1 cable HDMI - DVI (laptop's second monitor)

Couldn't figure out how to connect it in a way it would function. I decided to purchase a DVI - Display Port cable. Didn't work.

Had to wait today for connector HDMI - DVI.

For the first time, I heard "Pling-Plong" from the PC. `Ah, it must be alive.", I thought; the set was working!

Apparently the monitor's Display Port was broken.......

Strange thing since I only heard the "Pling-Pling" when I started to use the DVI-HDMI connector, together with my HDMI cable + DVI connector (used for the second monitor on my laptop). As if the DVI part from my PC's graphic card first had to be initiaded through a proper (genuine?) HDMI cable?

Anyway the system is running. I really wanted to get it going because I had the stuf for free and, althoug it's not an Intel i9 processor, it still could be worth while.

Thank you for your time!

Bye,

Luc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Glad you got it going. It may be time to start retiring some of this older stuff.

...S

0 Kudos