Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Desktop Window Manager high GPU usage when watching videos in Chrome and Edge

Eray1
Beginner

On my HP machine with Intel UHD 620 Graphics and driver version 26.20.100.7212 I am getting high GPU usage from the Desktop Window Manager Service while watching videos in any browser app. Thus, my laptop's battery drains extremely quick. Anyone else experiencing the same? Please, comment below.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I would like to know if you were able to check the Microsoft® Community link* provided by Al.Hill.

In that link, there are details pointing out that the issue seems to be related to the operating system since the issue described happens also on systems with different processors model/makers and different GPUs (Graphics Processing Unit) from different vendors. Some users have shared steps and workarounds that have helped to solve or mitigate the issue.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner

Hello, Andrew!

I tried all of the recommended workarounds on the forum, different GPU drivers, Windows Insider builds, Windows 10 version 1903 and 1909, and still the same spikes happen. I dunno anymore. Besides, I reported the issue to Microsoft through the Feedback Hub app, to the Google Chrome dev team, and here. Perhaps there is another driver going bonkers?

0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner

BTW, the new Intel GPU driver's video power saving mode introduces flickers while watching videos. And it is certainly annoying me very much when I'm watching videos that have subtitles.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

Thank you for let us know you have reported the high GPU usage issue to Microsoft® and Google™ Chrome™ team.

Regarding your inquiry about new drivers releases, I would like to mention that we do not comment on unreleased products, software or drivers. We recommend checking the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ website and the Intel® Newsroom.

Regarding the flickering on videos with subtitles, in order to have a better understanding, could you please provide the following information?

1- Video or browser apps version and build number used to play the videos:

2- Detailed steps to reproduce the issue:

3- Could you please provide a video sample or a link as a reference of the videos experiencing the flickering behavior?

4- DxDiag* Report:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  3. Click on Save All Information (save it on your desktop).
  4. Open the report.
  5. Use the option "save all information" to save the .TXT file to your desktop. 
  6. Attach the .TXT file to the thread.

5- Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, Please refer to the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner

The Issues with Chrome have drastically improved after the newest update pushed by Google.

In regards to the flickering problem, here is all the requested info.

1. Application - Microsoft Movies & TV version 10.19072.18011.0

2. Driver version 26.20.100.7212 - Open a video file in Movies & TV, enable the subtitles.

3. Video - https://drive.google.com/file/d/13BBppIpHYa8sdEZ6Y18Vukzvus9cYvwR/view?usp=sharing

4. DirectX Diagnostic Tool report - in the archive

5. Intel Graphics Command Center report - in the archive

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

Thank you for the information and reports provided.

Please allow me to check the behavior, I will test on our lab and I will be posting back as soon as I have more details of the outcome.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

In order to understand better the behavior regarding high GPU utilization, could you please provide or confirm the following details:

1- Please elaborate on how much GPU utilization are you seeing. If possible, please share a screenshot from Task Manager or the tool used to monitor GPU utilization.

To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

2- What would be the GPU utilization baseline on your system? (normal utilization)

Also, in order to provide you with better assistance for the issues presented on your system, we are going to continue on this thread with the high GPU usage and I would recommend opening a new thread to continue assisting you with the flickering issue.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner

Hi, Andrew!

1. I am seeing utilization of about 30-50%. Disabling transparency effects on Windows and then killing DWM brings down the GPU utilization to normal levels.
  2. Normal utilization is 5-20%.

I've attached pictures using both Chrome and Edge with transparency effects on and off. Surprisingly, After killing DWM Chrome works okay, but Edge doesn't.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dYf8uAjbXCR7czQODGiZr36BsO0vhMEd/view?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

Thank you for the details and the file attached with pictures.

We will test the behavior in our lab and as soon as we have more details of the outcome we will be posting back on this thread.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

We performed testing on our lab regarding the Desktop Window Manager (DWM) high GPU usage and we did not experience the issue described in this thread.

We tested playing different videos and we monitored Windows® Task Manager, GPU usage for DWM never reach above 5%, actually, it ranged from 0.1 to 3% most of the time.

These are the details regarding the environment used for testing:

• System: Intel NUC Kit NUC7i7DNH1E
  • Operating System (OS): Windows 10 Pro 1903 Build 18362.418
  • Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620, driver versions: 26.20.100.6912 (Intel's customized driver for this NUC), 26.20.100.7212, and 26.20.100.7323.

Browsers: 

Google™ Chrome* 77.0.3865.90 and 77.0.3865.120

Microsoft® Edge 44.18362.387.0 (HTML 18.18362).

In this case, the issue seems to not be related to the graphics driver, but it is pointed out to an issue with the OS itself as described in the Microsoft® Forum shared by Al.Hill, (and also reported by other users using different brands of GPUs and processors).

Since you already reported the issue to Microsoft® and Google™ developer team, I would recommend waiting for their response or new updates to see if the issue is solved or any fix would be released.

Additionally, we recommend you to contact HP support* in order to test using the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver from HP* for your laptop model.

Also, we have released a new version of the Intel® generic driver for Intel® UHD Graphics 620, version 26.20.100.7323. You can test the behavior with the latest release. However, the driver or software for your Intel component might have been changed or replaced by HP*. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer (HP) before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations.

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

We would like to know if you were able to check the details and the outcome of the tests we performed in our lab. Were you able to test with the OEM driver?

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner

The first thing I did actually was try the OEM drivers before reporting here and it didn​'t yield any difference.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Eray,

Thank you for your response.

If the issue persists, we recommend continuing working with Microsoft® support team and wait for their details or any new update to see if a fix for this issue is released. You may also provide them this thread as a reference regarding the tests performed.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos