Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Display 4K@60Hz on HD 630 and USB-C?

JWilk21
Beginner

Hi,

I have laptop with Intel i5-7300HQ and Intel HD Graphics 630. On this site: https://www.intel.pl/content/www/pl/pl/support/products/98909/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-7th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-630.html we can read that 4K resolution with 60hz is supported only by DisplayPort. My machine doesn't have DisplayPort so it possible to connect my laptop with 4K monitor via USB-C 3.1 to HDMI 2.0 and get 4K with 60Hz? Or I need to use USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The HDMI connector on the side of the laptop only supports HDMI 1.4. This means that it can only support 4K@30Hz. I recommend that you do not use this port.

If you connect a 4K DisplayPort (DP) Monitor to the USB-C port, it will be able to support 4K@60Hz. In this case, you want to use either a USB-C-to-DP dongle or a USB-C-to-DP cable. If you use a dongle, you will also need a standard DP 1.2-compliant DP cable. Make sure dongle and/or cable say that they support DisplayPort 1.2.

Alternatively, if you would like to connect a 4K HDMI TV/Monitor to this USB-C port, you can still attain 4K@60Hz, but as I detailed in my previous response, the quality of the adapterand/or cable that you use will determine whether 4K@60Hz is possible (and whether HDR can (also) be supported). I personally recommend that you spend the additional money and purchase an adapter/cable that will support HDMI 2.0a (i.e. like the last two examples that I provided earlier). If you decide to purchase an adapter, make sure that the HDMI cable that you use with this adapter is HDMI 2.0b-compliant.

IMPORTANT NOTE: when purchasing dongles, adapters or cables, they will only support what they say they support. Do not make assumptions. That is, if you want HDMI HDR support (and I think you do), the title for the adapter/cable *must* specifically say that it supports HDR. If it doesn't say it, it won't support it.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is impossible for us to give a definitive answer for this query with the information that you have provided. What specific laptop model do you have?

What it comes down to is whether your USB-C port properly supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode. If it does, then a DisplayPort 1.2 channel from the processor will be available in the connector. With DisplayPort 1.2 support, a monitor can be supported at 4K@60Hz (actually 4096x2304@60Hz).

If your laptop's USB-C port properly supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode, then you can purchase dongles that expose just this DisplayPort 1.2 channel. There are also dongles that include an LSPCon IC that converts from the DisplayPort 1.2 protocol to HDMI 1.4 (4K@30Hz), HDMI 2.0 (4K@60Hz) or HDMI 2.0a/b (4K@60Hz with HDR support) protocol.

Here are some examples:

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
WCall
Beginner

This post focuses on USB C to DisplayPort (NOT hdmi 2.0) for 4k@60hz. My Acer desktop is TC-865  DT.BARAA.005 Intel Core i5 8400 (8th gen), Intel UHD 630, 16gb w/additional 16gb Intel Optane ram. The Intel graphics UHD630 supports 4k@60hz with DisplayPort not HDMI to HDMI because it has an hdmi type 1.4b port. (Intel ahould update hdmi 1.4 ports to allow 4k@60hz similar to Nvidia's update) Anyway, many use their USB C port with an USB-C/HDMI 2.0 adapter/cable for 4k@60hz resolution for their 4k HDR TV/display.  DOES MY INTEL PROCESSOR/GRAPHICS SUPPORT USB C gen1 and gen2 to HDMI 2.0 ADAPTERS/CABLES? Thank you for your advice 👍

UPDATE: I just ordered a USB C to hdmi 2.0 w/hdr compliant adapter cable. Seller confirms 2.0/HDR compliant. Not cheap. Over twice cost of others. I will update my results after testing it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NN2PSTT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hopefully, you get what you've paid for. I personally don't like these purpose-specific cables. I would rather have adapters and use standard cables everywhere. This can be more expensive -- but not as much as this cable costs! This adapter https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-Aluminum-Housing/dp/B07MFW2G3K plus a good (and reusable elsewhere!) HDMI cable will cost you a bit less.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
JWilk21
Beginner

Yes, you right. I forgot about it.

My laptop model is: Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBN and I have on USB-C 3.1 port which as we can read on specifications tab (https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Lenovo_Laptops/Lenovo_Legion_Y520_15) on the right side, it is also DP 1.2. But what I want to know is can I use cable/adapter USB-C to HDMI 2.0 to get 4K resolutions with 60hz on Intel GPU? Because on page in first post is nothing write about HDMI 2.0. Is only info about 4K@30hz with HDMI 1.4.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The HDMI connector on the side of the laptop only supports HDMI 1.4. This means that it can only support 4K@30Hz. I recommend that you do not use this port.

If you connect a 4K DisplayPort (DP) Monitor to the USB-C port, it will be able to support 4K@60Hz. In this case, you want to use either a USB-C-to-DP dongle or a USB-C-to-DP cable. If you use a dongle, you will also need a standard DP 1.2-compliant DP cable. Make sure dongle and/or cable say that they support DisplayPort 1.2.

Alternatively, if you would like to connect a 4K HDMI TV/Monitor to this USB-C port, you can still attain 4K@60Hz, but as I detailed in my previous response, the quality of the adapterand/or cable that you use will determine whether 4K@60Hz is possible (and whether HDR can (also) be supported). I personally recommend that you spend the additional money and purchase an adapter/cable that will support HDMI 2.0a (i.e. like the last two examples that I provided earlier). If you decide to purchase an adapter, make sure that the HDMI cable that you use with this adapter is HDMI 2.0b-compliant.

IMPORTANT NOTE: when purchasing dongles, adapters or cables, they will only support what they say they support. Do not make assumptions. That is, if you want HDMI HDR support (and I think you do), the title for the adapter/cable *must* specifically say that it supports HDR. If it doesn't say it, it won't support it.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
LS27R750QEUXEN
Beginner

What's up dear friends, 

I was having a problem in this kind with my samsung LS27R750Q. I'm trying to connect it with my gaming notebook over usb-c alt mode to mini DP, but no succes. There is no input at all and the my laptop does not even recognise the display. I checked everything about my port and it says SS(superspeed) D (displayport). It's so frustraing because I was so hyped that I could take advantage of my 144hz capabilities but my pc does no want to go the way. I also updated and rolled back drivers for my rtx2060 and the inteluhd graphics 630. Nothing whatsoever seems to work and It's pretty irritating. 

Big thanks to y'all to help.

0 Kudos