Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Display Color Depth Shows 6bit instead of 8bit or Higher

Samirx
Beginner

Previously I posted about my problem here: How to Enable 10bit Color Depth on Intel UHD Graphics 620. But it's looking that case is closed now. So I'm posting again.

I've recently reinstalled my Windows and from that time my Laptop's display bit depth reduced to 6bit when it should be at least 8bit or higher. I followed every suggestion I was told in my previous post. But the problem is not solved yet. Mine Laptop's Display bit depth is still showing 6bit. How can I solve this problem?

Laptop Model: Dell Inspiron 5480
Processor: Intel Core i5 8265U
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620

Note: All Drivers, Updates, Software are up to date

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Samirx

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Intel® Graphics supports up to 12-bit color depth, but this may vary depending on the display capabilities. On our current driver implementation, the color depth will be set per the OS configuration and based on the capabilities detected. Depth and Color Format settings are available starting with Intel Graphics Command Center BETA version 1.100.1300.0 and newer but for native HDMI connections.

This issue can be caused by a hardware limitation in the built-in display. Our first recommendation is to check with the computer manufacturer (OEM) DELL* to see if the display supports 8-bit or higher color depths and not 6-bit with Frame Rate Control (FRC) or dithering techniques. We checked their documentation but we couldn't find any information about this (e.g.: Inspiron 5480 Setup and Specifications*).

Once you have confirmed this with your OEM, please provide us with the following information?

1- When you reinstalled Windows*, did you install the customized graphics driver provided by your OEM Dell? Is the behavior occuring with the Dell's driver? Also, did you install the Chipset Software and any other related "display" drivers/software (if available) from Dell's website? Please provide details.

2- Have you tested with an external display using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI) to see if the "proper" color depth (e.g.: 8-bit) is detected? If you haven't tried yet, could you please test this and let us know the outcome?

3-Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link.

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Samirx
Beginner
  1. When you reinstalled Windows?
    Ans: 3 months+ ago.

Did you install the customized graphics driver provided by your OEM Dell?
    Ans: Yes, I tested with both OEM Dell and Generic Intel Graphics Driver. But both time display bit depth was 6 bit.

Is the behavior occurring with the Dell's driver?
    Ans: Both with OEM Dell and Generic Intel Graphics Driver.

Also, did you install the Chipset Software and any other related "display" drivers/software (if available) from Dell's website?
    Ans: Yes, every driver for this specific laptop model is installed.

2. Have you tested with an external display using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI) to see if the "proper" color depth (e.g.: 8-bit) is detected? If you haven't tried yet, could you please test this and let us know the outcome?
    Ans: Yes, I tested and the outcome was 8bit. Even when I delete and uninstall the Intel Graphics Driver then the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter also shows 8bit.

3. Added below

4. Added below
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Samirx

Thank you for your response and for all the details.

Checking the Intel® SSU report, we noticed the system is running graphics driver version 27.20.100.8935. Also, we found out that there is a newer customized graphics driver available on Dell's website: "27.20.100.9664" (apparently, it was released today December 2nd, 2021).

The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM). OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. In this case, we would like to recommend a clean installation of the graphics driver using the OEM driver from Dell* to discard driver-related issues. 

Please perform a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* using Dell's driver "Intel UHD Graphics Driver Version 27.20.100.9664, A06". You may start the process from Step 6. During the process, please make sure all steps are followed, including disconnecting from the Internet and making sure you get to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter before trying to install the graphics driver.

If the behavior persists using the latest OEM driver from Dell*, please repeat the clean install process but this time using the Intel® DCH generic graphics driver Version 30.0.101.1069

Please share with us the outcome of the tests. Also, could you please confirm if you verified directly with Dell* Support to confirm the built-in display supports 8-bit or higher color depths? Could you please provide feedback, a link to documentation, or more details?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Samirx
Beginner

First, I installed the Intel UHD Graphics Driver Version 27.20.100.9664, A06 by following the Clean Installation Process but nothing changes. Then I installed the Intel DCH Generic Graphics Driver Version 30.0.101.1069 by following the Clean Installation Process again but still nothing changes. Both times the display bit depth was stuck at 6bit.

Yes, I also tried to contact with Dell Support. I posted to the Dell community » here « two weeks ago to find out the actual display bit depth. But they didn't respond.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Samirx

Thank you for this feedback and for trying the recommended driver versions. Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Samirx

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After reviewing this further since the behavior is happening on the embedded display, this should be checked with the OEM DELL*.

Considering the behavior is the same even with the latest BIOS and the customized OEM drivers from Dell* that it is supposed those drivers have been tested and validated by your OEM to work on your specific system, and due to an external display doesn't have the issue, this seems to be either an OEM driver customization issue or a hardware/OS issue. Therefore, at this point, our recommendation is to review this issue further with DELL Support.

For your convenience, here is the link to DELL* Support website.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this request now. Thank you for your understanding and it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos