Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Display driver not working

Midosaid
Beginner
System info:

System Model HP ENVY All-in-One 27-b1XX

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700T CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Nvidia Geforce GTX 950m driver

Intel HD graphics 630 driver

I have a second monitor connected, it's showing on display setting but the monitor is black.
I tried a new cable, new monitor and the same monitor on a new PC, the monitor is working fine

The problem is the Intel HD Graphic 630 driver is not working probably,
The reason I know is:
1- The second monitor works fine on startup but once windows loads, it goes black
2- the second monitor works fine on safe mode
3- I uninstall the display driver and restart, the monitor works fine till windows detect the driver and install the driver for it 

I tried installing the driver manually and it did not work
I tried installing an older version of the driver and it did not work 

Can anyone help?
Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Midosaid,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you I would like to gather the following information:

• What is the current driver version installed?
  • How did you update the graphics driver for your computer? Was it using an Intel website?
  • What is the model of the monitor?
  • Was the second monitor working fine at a certain point with this computer? Were any changes prior to this behavior?

In order to investigate this for you, please run the following tool and

attach the reports generated.  

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) link

1.      Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information.

2.       By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

3.      Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

4.      To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

When talking about OEM devices, it’s worth mentioning that Intel provides generic versions of software and drivers.

Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes.  That being said, have you checked for OEM drivers for your computer?

Also, you may want to check with the computer manufacturer for the supported configuration and displays for this specific model.

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Midosaid
Beginner

What is the current driver version installed?  intel graphic 27.20.100.7990

How did you update the graphics driver for your computer? I have tried manually and from Intel, HP, and automatic windows update  
    Was it using an Intel website? Yes
    What is the model of the monitor? the external monitor HP 22cwa
    Was the second monitor working fine at a certain point with this computer? yes, it was working fine 
    Were any changes prior to this behavior? it was flicking/blinking for while and then it went black

Right, I have the driver uninstalled and the external monitor will only work on Safe mode or if the display driver is ( Microsoft basic display adapter) but it only duplicates the display  I do not have the option to extend 

Please see attached file for the scan

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Midosaid,

Thank you so much for the update and the information provided.

If you have tried all the drivers provided by the computer manufacturer and Windows* Update, we can move forward and tried updating the Intel generic driver to the latest version.

This version is the 27.20.100.8476.

Please keep in mind that this is assuming you already checked with your computer manufacturer the supported multiple display configurations and customized drivers for your device. If not, I would highly recommend checking with them to avoid any potential impact after a load of a non-customized driver.

That being said, please follow these steps:

1. Download the latest DCH driver here and save it on the computer.

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features.

4. Restart the computer.

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

6.1.1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'.

6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.a through 6.d until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter')

7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1.

8. Restart the computer.

9. Reconnect to the Internet.

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Midosaid, 

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos