Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Does Intel Graphics 615 support DP alt-mode through USB-C?

TDean
New Contributor II

Was looking at the spec for the Intel Graphics 615 and it says its has eDP/DP/HDMI/DVI graphics output support.

What it doesn't say is whether or not it supports ALT-Mode DP support via USB-C to HDMI .

I am looking at a Samsung Plus V2 Chromebook that has 2 USB-C outputs. Model # XE520QAB-K02.

Also could you recommend an appropriate cable? USB-C to HDMI ?

DISPLAYPORT OVER USB-C TECHNICAL DETAILS

DisplayPort leverages the Alternate Mode Functional Extension of the USB Type-C interface, and shares similar electrical characteristics with USB 3.1, allowing use of common system elements.

Video, SuperSpeed USB and power, all on one connector

4K @60Hz 24-bit color (without compression) with simultaneous USB 3.1

5K (5120 x 2880) display support without compression with simultaneous USB 2.0

Support for BT.2020 color space, HDR, and HDCP 2.2

8K x 4K display support with use of 4:2:0 pixel structure (good) or VESA Display Stream Compression (better)

High-end multichannel audio support

Backward compatible with VGA, DVI, and HDMI 2.0 with CEC using plug adapters or adapter cables

Extensible packet-based data structure

0 Kudos
7 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TDean,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. 

I would like to start by gathering more information of the system you have, please provide me with an System Support Utility report, please refer to the link below in order to download the tool:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the generated report directly to the thread as a ".txt" file. 

Also, please provide me with a DxDiag report: 

1 - From the Windows desktop, press the Windows and R keys to open the Run window.

2 - In the Open: field of the Run window, type dxdiag. Click OK or the Enter key to open the DirectX* Diagnostic Tool. If prompted to check if your drivers are digitally signed, click Yes.

3 - In the DirectX* Diagnostic Tool window, choose Save All Information.

4 - In the Save As window, the DirectX* information is saved as a text (.TXT) file. Choose the Desktop or another easily accessible location to save your file, and then click Save.

5 - Please attach the saved file to this thread.

Regards, 

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
TDean
New Contributor II

Well DAVE.....(get it? From 2001: A Space Odyssey ? hahahah)

anyway I can't do that because I haven't purchased the Chromebook yet. It was a pre-sale technical inquiry, to help me determine if I should buy it or not.

I also have a samsung ultrabook 2 in 1 that intel UHD 620 graphics. Later I will send the requested info for that, as I would like to know if it too supports dp alt-mode.

1. Attached is the ssu and dxdiag on my samsung notebook pro 2018
0 Kudos
TDean
New Contributor II

ssu and dxdiag

0 Kudos
TDean
New Contributor II
posted a file.
0 Kudos
TDean
New Contributor II

i obviously cannot run dxdiag or ssu on a chromebook. They only work on a windows OS.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

For a Chromebook, you should check with the manufacturer to discuss their implementation/integration limitations.

Doc

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TDean,

Thank you for your response.

Al.Hill is correct, while our graphics adapter may not have a limitation for the use of Alt-mode DP, the way the system was manufactured and set up could present a limitation so in this case the best way to find the required information is to contact the system manufacturers.

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos