Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Does Rapid Recovery volume do fault tolerance in Continuous Update Mode?

idata
Employee

Hi,

I was asking about the difference of using IMSM and IRST for Rapid Recover in /message/81538 http://communities.intel.com/message/81538.

Then, there came about two Rapid Recover Technology's feature related questions.

1. Is it possible to have Recovery Volume automatically switch in for the failed Primary without firstly converting it to RAID1?

Based on "Benefits of Intel® Matrix Storage Technology White Paper"(Dec 2005), RAID 1,5,10 all provide fault tolerance. But, does the RAID 1-like RRT provide fault tolerance when in Continuous Update mode? Or. does it take manual effort to switch in the Recovery Volume for the failed Primary?

2. Is it possible to use eSATA hotswapping feature on RRT's Recovery Volume?

Based on the same White paper, it said that "Intel Matrix Storage Technology allows for the 'hot swap' of any member disk of a redundant RAID array. This eliminates the need to power down the system in the event of a drive hardware failure." But, can the Recovery Volume be considered as a redundant RAID array in this case for the hot swapping feature?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi.

1. Really, it would provide fault tolerance whether you were in continuous update or manual update mode. It just refers to the fact that you have some protection in the event of a single drive failure. In continuous update mode, it behaves a lot like RAID 1, so there should be no need to switch in the recovery drive.

2. Sure, as long as the components support eSATA/hot swap, you could hot swap a member drive from a recovery volume. Personally, I wouldn't hot swap the primary drive, but that's just me ..(That being said, if you were in manual update mode, I don't think you could hot swap the primary drive anyway as it would be the only drive in use. As soon as you pulled it out, there would be no system.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I appreciate your support. I recently received an email from an Intel China engineer Mr. Gee with his kindly attached private notes and screenshots with regard to the test procedures of using Rapid Recover Technology(Rapid Storage) in Windows 7:

his testbed

-----------------

CPU:I5 661

MB:DG57TM

RAM:Qimonda DDR3 1G*2

IGPU:Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD

HDD:Seagate SATA 120G & Hitachi SATA 80G

GPU driver:GFX_Vista_Win7_32_15.16.0.1952_PV_Intel

Mobo driver:INF_allOS_9.1.1.1020_PV

inet driver:PROWIN732.exe

Intel® Rapid Storage Manager driver:STOR_allOS_9.5.0.1037_PV

Mr.Gee confirmed running Continuous Mode in RRT is simply like running RAID1 just like you said. Then, users have to switch it from the "Continuous Update mode" (or RAID 1 mode) back to the "Recovery mode" to use the "Update on Request" feature.

I hope soon the complete documentation can be found in all P55 or H57 motherboards user's guides.

Thanks again and have a great new Lunar Year.

0 Kudos